ECN Forum
Posted By: stevepsd NOALOX - 06/05/10 05:49 AM
First time using AL cable (#2 feeding a sub-panel), using Ideal brand NOALOX anti-oxidant from a 1/2 oz tube. I had assumed that the NOALOX would be grease-like.

It went on semi-thick (grey in color) then just seemed to evaporate within minutes, only leaving a thin grey residue.

Do this seem correct?
Posted By: Niko Re: NOALOX - 06/05/10 06:08 AM
Semi Thick and gray in color is OK. but evaporate? I haven't seen that happen.
Posted By: stevepsd Re: NOALOX - 06/05/10 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by Niko
Semi Thick and gray in color is OK. but evaporate? I haven't seen that happen.

It was 105F in the shop when I was doing this....could it be temperature sensitive?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: NOALOX - 06/05/10 09:27 AM
All a thing like NOALOX is, is zinc suspended in a carrier fluid.
Posted By: KJay Re: NOALOX - 06/05/10 12:32 PM
I've noticed that sometimes when I first open a new bottle of Noalox, it seems to be mostly thin, watery liquid on top, like the product has separated after packaging. Maybe that's what's happening with your tube.
I usually just stick a piece of scrap wire down the neck of the container to stir it up but, you may be able to kneed the tube instead.
After this initial mixing and the first use, the inhibitor seems to retain the normal grease like consistency from then on.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: NOALOX - 06/05/10 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by stevepsd
First time using AL cable (#2 feeding a sub-panel), using Ideal brand NOALOX anti-oxidant from a 1/2 oz tube. I had assumed that the NOALOX would be grease-like.

It went on semi-thick (grey in color) then just seemed to evaporate within minutes, only leaving a thin grey residue.

Do this seem correct?

I hope that that feed does not have a 100A breaker on it, as it would be oversized. Did you knead the tube prior to using it to remix it, the product seems to separate in transit,just like real peanut butter does.As was written in KJay's post.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: NOALOX - 06/05/10 03:42 PM
Hmm ... I've never tried peanut butter. laugh
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: NOALOX - 06/05/10 11:28 PM
Steve, Noalox should be fine, but just a suggestion... try using Penn Unions CU/AL gel. It's non flammable and seems to handle Kern Co temps pretty well... I tried using Noalox in a few pump panels before and it seems to dry out and turn into almost a cement.

Kern Electric on 30th west of Union carries it

Peanut Butter is not listed for the purpose smile
Posted By: NORCAL Re: NOALOX - 06/06/10 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by Lostazhell

Peanut Butter is not listed for the purpose smile

My comment was directed at noalox separates like real peanut butter does, was not suggestion to substitute it for noalox.... grin grin grin

Real PB: Containing only peanuts & salt, not homogenized or containing sugar.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: NOALOX - 06/06/10 08:44 AM
Product may contain wire nuts.

[Ducks and runs for cover!]
Posted By: KJay Re: NOALOX - 06/07/10 02:51 AM
Well, it may not be approved, but at least the peanut butter could come in handy for the mice to snack on while building their nest on top of the main circuit breaker. laugh
Posted By: NORCAL Re: NOALOX - 06/07/10 04:35 AM
Originally Posted by KJay
Well, it may not be approved, but at least the peanut butter could come in handy for the mice to snack on while building their nest on top of the main circuit breaker. laugh

Off topic but PB does work as mouse bait,it's just too bad they lick it off w/o springing the trap.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: NOALOX - 06/07/10 02:17 PM
We used to use a peanut paste compo on fuse threads for some of our Brit military ordnance, back in the old days, as a thread lock & for anti-corrosion. It set like hard brown rubber- if I remember it correctly we used to stir in a hardener liquid and use it quick. That was before 'Loctite' muscled in. I bet it would seal an electrical joint just fine.
As to mousetraps, chocolate is the best bait. You also get to woff the rest of the bar, which can't be bad! grin
Posted By: NORCAL Re: NOALOX - 06/07/10 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Alan Belson
We used to use a peanut paste compo on fuse threads for some of our Brit military ordnance, back in the old days, as a thread lock & for anti-corrosion. It set like hard brown rubber- if I remember it correctly we used to stir in a hardener liquid and use it quick. That was before 'Loctite' muscled in. I bet it would seal an electrical joint just fine.
As to mousetraps, chocolate is the best bait. You also get to woff the rest of the bar, which can't be bad! grin

Best bait is bacon or any piece of fat set so they have to tug at it, works well....
© ECN Electrical Forums