ECN Forum
Posted By: nhsparky Service Rated? - 04/10/10 01:20 AM
Can anybody explain to me what defines a "service rated" enclosure. I recently purchased a Cutler Hammer disconnect. In the instructions was the statement-If service rated equipment is required, install provided sticker "service rated" on inside of enclosure. They give you the sticker! Just what is the difference and why don't they just install the sticker to begin with. I have asked my sales rep, who has asked his Mfg rep, and nobody seems to know what makes a service rated enclosure beyond the sticker.
Thanks
Dave
Posted By: TNT_Tim Re: Service Rated? - 04/10/10 01:51 AM
The service disconnecting means must be identified as suitable for use as service equipment [230.66]. This means the service disconnecting means is supplied with a main bonding jumper so that a neutral-to-case connection can be made, as required in 250.24(C) and 250.142(A). The service disconnecting means must open all service-entrance conductors from the structure premises wiring [230.70].
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Service Rated? - 04/10/10 01:59 AM
Dave:
Good question. Perhaps, installing the sticker on all discos may be 'mis-leading' IF the disco is not used for 'service'. Giving the option to install it if necessary, also reduces inventory for mfg., suppliers, etc.

Just a guess on my part, perhaps the CH rep may want to adopt it! If he's interested, PM me for where to mail the check. (LOL)

Posted By: luckyshadow Re: Service Rated? - 04/10/10 03:14 AM
Sounds like a good question for UL !
I would think that to be UL listed those stickers should be applied in the factory.
One could easliy save them and apply them to another non service rated piece of equipment!
© ECN Electrical Forums