ECN Forum
Posted By: gfretwell Heat lamp in kitchen island? - 03/29/10 05:45 PM
Has anyone seen a heat lamp over a kitchen island or under an upper cabinet? Something like a regular 250w can light.
My wife an I were discussing this and neither of us had ever seen it but it would be handy if you were trying to keep a tray of food warm or for quicker thawing of something frozen.

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Heat lamp in kitchen island? - 03/29/10 07:21 PM
Greg:

With all the 'toys' in the McMansions...no, I have not come accross a heat lamp.

A unit similar to the 'plate warmer' at the serving line in the diners/resturants would work!

Posted By: Trumpy Re: Heat lamp in kitchen island? - 03/29/10 07:41 PM
Greg,
Restaurants over here have used this method to keep food hot after it is served up, ever since I can remember.
I also remember being sent to repair some of these lights one busy night in one of these restaurants and burning my wrist on the stainless counter. eek
Anyhow, I can't say I agree with keeping food hot in this way.
Posted By: Rewire Re: Heat lamp in kitchen island? - 03/30/10 03:10 AM
I installed a commercial steam table that also equipt with heat lamps in one of our custom homes
Posted By: WESTUPLACE Re: Heat lamp in kitchen island? - 04/01/10 04:14 AM
My sister has a range hood over her high end range. It has 2 heat lamps and a warming shelf on it.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Heat lamp in kitchen island? - 04/01/10 08:54 PM
Greg, a word of warning. Any food placed to keep warm under such a lamp should be consumed within a reasonable period, say 30 minutes from cooking. Warm food can be a breeding ground for dangerous bacteria and a lamp should not be used for defrosting or heating stuff like butter for spreading,[though I guess you never have to do that often in Florida!]. The safe temperature for keeping food warm is 140F [60C] minimum.
BTW, if it gets too hot under a lamp you may damage the worktop, if it's laminate, by 'unsticking' the latex glue or bubbling the top transparent coating.
© ECN Electrical Forums