ECN Forum
Posted By: Niko outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/26/10 06:21 PM
I have a client who is interested in having a deck mounted receptacle. similar to the floor mounted interior receptacles.
Do you know if there is such a unit with proper whether proof cover.

Thanks.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/26/10 07:05 PM
Niko:

I have not seen anything that would be code compliant on this side of the US.

Posted By: ghost307 Re: outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/26/10 07:42 PM
I have had many requests for these over the years for use in outdoor installations and have looked high and low.

The answer is that there is no such animal.

And all of the major players who I've asked about manufacturing something like this (Hubbell, etc.) wouldn't even touch the concept with a 10 foot pole.
Posted By: Niko Re: outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/27/10 02:01 AM
Thanks guys
Posted By: noderaser Re: outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/27/10 05:58 AM
Would be pretty hard to keep water out of something like that.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/27/10 07:47 AM
A l-o-n-g shot maybe.
But we use industrial socket outlets that have water ingress protection to IP 66 here.
It might mean a hefty plug, but these things can be hosed down with high pressure water and not leak.

Check this link out.
Posted By: noderaser Re: outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/28/10 04:17 AM
I believe the question was about a receptacle that was face up, flush with the deck surface. Like a floor box, but a "deck box". You'd have to drag out your hair dryer to evaporate all the water before opening the cover.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/28/10 03:43 PM
Anything outside is a wet location so you expect some water in the box, in spite of all of those rain tight covers. We do require weather resistant devices don't we?
The trick is to be sure it doesn't accumulate enough water to trip the GFCI.
The code would still require an "in use" cover so that makes this a tad harder. Perhaps a trap door in the deck with a normally oriented receptacle under it would be the way to go.
Then you could just mount a bell box on a joist and you might even be able to get this called "damp" with the right shielding under the deck so you could use a snap cover.
Posted By: Rewire Re: outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/28/10 11:00 PM
sometimes you have to tell them it can,t be done
Posted By: Niko Re: outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/29/10 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
Perhaps a trap door in the deck with a normally oriented receptacle under it would be the way to go.
Then you could just mount a bell box on a joist and you might even be able to get this called "damp" with the right shielding under the deck so you could use a snap cover.

I gave them that option. and i think that is the only option.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/29/10 08:00 AM
I think it may be the best anyway, even if you could find some kind of gasketed, hardened, wet location, listed, floor mount receptacle. It will be a lot better protected under a trap door when in use and be normal parts you can find a few years later.
Posted By: Rewire Re: outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/29/10 01:49 PM
I have a design idea that would be like a slip sleeve. You pull it up to plug in and when not in use you push it back down.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/29/10 05:05 PM
As part of your testing, see what happens when you step on it with a cord plugged in wink
How does it perform under a foot of snow?
Posted By: Rewire Re: outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/30/10 03:19 AM

when you raise the rec it is about 6 inches high the outlet is vertical with an in use pop out cover. When not in use you slide the receptacle down flush with the deck
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/30/10 02:15 PM
Sounds sorta like the 'pop-up' counter receptacle device?
Posted By: Rewire Re: outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/31/10 03:17 AM
It is the same basic concept.
Posted By: ghost307 Re: outdoor deck mounted receptacle - 03/31/10 02:34 PM
Getting it UL Listed for use outdoors in the rain and snow will be a challenge.

I like Greg's idea. I did something similar for the Christmas tree on my deck by making 1 of the deck boards removable between the joists. It's only 1 joist space long, but when it's in place it looks perfectly normal; but I can lift it out in a few seconds. If you cut a tiny notch in the edge of it you could plug in your cord and replace the board whenever you need power.
© ECN Electrical Forums