Guys:

How do you test AFCI operation?
Posted By: schenimann Re: Inspector/AHJ Question??? - 03/26/10 03:19 AM
Test them? I'm happy if they hold.
Posted By: Rewire Re: Inspector/AHJ Question??? - 03/26/10 01:55 PM
i use an AFCI tester
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Inspector/AHJ Question??? - 03/26/10 02:18 PM
Rewire:

OK, elaborate please.....brand?, OK for all mfg?, satisfaction? Please!!
Posted By: Jim M Re: Inspector/AHJ Question??? - 03/26/10 04:21 PM
John,

The only recognized test is to use the TEST button on the breaker.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Inspector/AHJ Question??? - 03/26/10 05:37 PM
How does the test button on an AFCI work, does it simulate a parallel arc fault?
Posted By: LK Re: Inspector/AHJ Question??? - 03/26/10 05:42 PM
I use the test button, is there an approved tester?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Inspector/AHJ Question??? - 03/26/10 07:08 PM
Thanks to all. There are testers available, although I have seen/heard of conflicting info.

Basically, AFCI is new here in NJ, and I'm on an info search.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Inspector/AHJ Question??? - 03/26/10 10:31 PM
Nobody really tells us what the test button does. For all we know it is just a shunt trip but I bet it simulates a ground fault.
The manufacturer designs the proprietary circuit and they decide what a good test might be but I doubt it tests all the possible failure scenarios. They also say you can't believe a negative result from someone else's tester so draw from that what you like.
Posted By: Rewire Re: Inspector/AHJ Question??? - 03/26/10 10:58 PM
its made by Ideal model 61-165 I purchased it two years ago it works fine.
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: Inspector/AHJ Question??? - 03/27/10 02:24 AM
There are GFCI breaker testers and lots of company's make them and lots of ECs use them.

I suspect they work fine but the manufacturer says to test with the test button on the GFCI. I'll go with the manufacturer's recommendation, especially if it's cheaper and easier than an alternative solution.

I follow the same logic for the AFCI breakers. Test with the built in test button.
Posted By: KJay Re: Inspector/AHJ Question??? - 03/27/10 04:10 PM
If I want to verify that a particular circuit in a room has AFCI protection, I will use an Ideal 61-059 tester to trip the AFCI for verification purposes, then go around the room and check to see that the lighting and receptacles are off.
On the way out, stop by the panel and reset the individual AFCI’s, and while there you can also use the trip test button on the cb itself to actually test for AFCI functionality per UL and the manufacturer.

For resi final inspection purposes, this is much faster and more accurate than going to the panel and attempting to locate the specific breaker for a circuit, turning it off, then going back to the room to verify that the receptacles and lighting for that area are now off.
Especially since in some larger homes, there can be several AFCI protected branch circuits supplying one room.

The nice thing about the Ideal 61-059 is that it is also a traditional cube type receptacle tester with GFCI trip function. It's not much larger than a standard cube tester so still fits neatly in your shirt pocket or clips to your belt with the nylon case.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Inspector/AHJ Question??? - 03/29/10 02:18 AM
Kjay:

Thanks!! Your scenario sounds good, with all bases covered.

Posted By: Rewire Re: Inspector/AHJ Question??? - 03/29/10 04:40 AM
when testing do you test more than one outlet on a cicuit?
Posted By: harold endean Re: Inspector/AHJ Question??? - 03/29/10 01:53 PM
John,

Just push the button. As far as I know there isn't any AFCI tester that is UL acceptable yet. If someone does find one, we would all like to know. (I think) smile
© ECN Electrical Forums