ECN Forum
Posted By: Sean WB Just take a look at this - 12/14/02 10:24 AM
Hey guys, just started a website for my biz, Please take a look, and tell me what you think? It almost finished. http://www.lonestarelectric.com/Index.html
Posted By: electric-ed Re: Just take a look at this - 12/14/02 02:59 PM
Looks good, Sean,

One thing, some of the text fonts that you've used show up distorted (pixelated) on my browser (MS IE). You might want to test that.

Ed
Posted By: pauluk Re: Just take a look at this - 12/14/02 04:42 PM
Looks good Sean -- Nice and easy to find options and I like the blueprint background idea.

The local weather insert looks as though it could use some work though: [Linked Image]

Today: Hi 68, Lo -2
Tomorrow: Hi 72, Lo 55
Next day: Hi 9999, Lo -9999
Posted By: caselec Re: Just take a look at this - 12/14/02 06:02 PM
Sean

Looks good. You should add the link to your profile here.

I agree with Ed about some of the text being distorted. I'm also using IE.
When opening up your "email us" link a security warning pops that Comet Cursor would like to be installed. While there is some controversy as to whether Comet Cursor is spyware or not I'm not in favor of web sites trying to convince me to install software on my system.

I'm not being critical of you, just providing some feedback. I thing you did an excellent job!

Curt
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Just take a look at this - 12/14/02 06:07 PM
Yup, other that some fuzzy font, it looks great! (Is it a true-type font?)

Didja put the local temps/weather on there to make us jealous?!?

32ºF and freezing rain here...

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-14-2002).]
Posted By: Sean WB Re: Just take a look at this - 12/14/02 07:57 PM
Yeah, I need to get that comet cursor crap off of there. I dont know what to do about fuzzy font, it looks fine when i log in. Does everyone see the font problem? or just some of you? Im gonna get that comet thing off now. Yes, its Sunny and 65 degrees here [Linked Image]
Posted By: Sean WB Re: Just take a look at this - 12/14/02 08:31 PM
hey guys, go to the site now, tell me if that cursor download prompt is off.
http://www.lonestarelectric.com/Index.html
also tell me what text is doing, loading bad etc.
Thanks guys for your help. I really appreciate it [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Sean WB (edited 12-14-2002).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Just take a look at this - 12/14/02 08:36 PM
cursor download prompt

who?
Posted By: electric-ed Re: Just take a look at this - 12/14/02 08:53 PM
Sean,
The text font that you have used is called "Haettenschweiler" and it looks real bad on IE.

Two recommended fonts for websites are Verdana or Arial.

Ed
Posted By: Sean WB Re: Just take a look at this - 12/14/02 09:32 PM
yeah, still getting an error trying to publish the "email us" page.I know that cometcursor thing is attached to my page somewhere, I just cant find it.Its not letting me adjust background image either [Linked Image] I will switch fonts too. I really appreciate the help, Ill post in a few when I change font.
Thanks guys.
PS I emailed my site adm. to try and get comet thing removed.
Posted By: Sean WB Re: Just take a look at this - 12/14/02 10:22 PM
Ok, I set home page fonts to arial black (bold, italic) Please tell there are no error fonts!! I appreciate the assistance.
I dont understand why it looked ok in my IE, anyway, tell me whatcha think. Ill set rest of pages if this looks ok. Tell me if everything looks lined up well, no overlaps etc. http://www.lonestarelectric.com/Index.html
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Just take a look at this - 12/15/02 03:04 AM
Looks like a very handsome page.

Agreed that except for titles and headers, non-bold type would be easier to read. Tahoma is a nice, plain typeface, too.

{Didn't see a fax number.}
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Just take a look at this - 12/15/02 03:16 AM
Sean,
Thats Cool!.
Who designed the site?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Sean WB Re: Just take a look at this - 12/15/02 07:01 AM
You wont believe this but I designed it in 2 evenings with some free software I found on the web!! Of course I had to register the website name. I changed fonts to arial black (bold, italic) Is that too hard to read still? Please let me know, I would like a presentable website. You guys are great for helping me [Linked Image] I will put a link to ECN soon as i figure out how to do that!!!
Posted By: pauluk Re: Just take a look at this - 12/15/02 01:25 PM
I'm still seeing some pixelation on the text as well (AOL browser, which is basically just customized IE).

I agree with the others about an e-mail link that wants people to download/install software to work. Dump it -- It will just annoy people!
Posted By: Sean WB Re: Just take a look at this - 12/15/02 05:46 PM
which page are you getting this prompt to download? feedback or contact us?
Posted By: caselec Re: Just take a look at this - 12/15/02 06:42 PM
Sean

I stopped getting the download prompt yesterday and tried today and don't get it on any pages.

You still need to change the text in the feedback page. The main part of the page is fine but the text in the white window (Please tell us..., Your Name, Email, Comments, Etc.) is hard to read. It looks like you have fixed most of the text issues though.

Another thing I noticed on your "Email us" page is that you can place your pointer anywhere over the top email button to open a new mail message but on the bottom the first half of the button does not work.

Curt
Posted By: Sean WB Re: Just take a look at this - 12/15/02 08:26 PM
ok, I took care of the feedback page. Thanks for that . So no one is getting a download prompt right? Now how do i get a good looking link to ECN on the site? hmmmmm........
Posted By: Sean WB Re: Just take a look at this - 12/15/02 08:27 PM
PS I took care of the email link too.. I had a text box extended over half of it [Linked Image] http://www.lonestarelectric.com/Contact_us2.html
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Just take a look at this - 12/16/02 04:33 AM
I can read it much better now.

I like the "mouse-over"s too!

Great Job!

(I'm jealous)
Posted By: Sean WB Re: Just take a look at this - 12/16/02 11:20 PM
not bad for an ol country boy. We didnt have www.squat when I was growin up [Linked Image]
hehehe Thanks for all the help guys, SO , How do I get a link to ECN in the site?
Posted By: caselec Re: Just take a look at this - 12/16/02 11:25 PM
Sean - Look here: https://www.electrical-contractor.net/Add_our_Link.htm or send bill a note and I'm sure he will be happy to help you out.

Curt
© ECN Electrical Forums