ECN Forum
Posted By: HotLine1 Induction Lighting anyone?? - 12/10/09 02:44 AM
Gentlemen:

Anyone have any dealings with induction lighting?

Sure sounds like a 'green' item to me.

POCO here is installing all new street lighting in township. All cobra heads being replaced with nice 150 watt induction luminaires, even powder coated in light green.

Posted By: renosteinke Re: Induction Lighting anyone?? - 12/10/09 02:57 AM
I've installed a few such -expensive- lights in areas that were hard to access for maintenance. That's the real plus: almost nothing to wear out over time.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Induction Lighting anyone?? - 12/10/09 03:04 AM
Reno:
Yes, life expectancy is way up there. Any opinion on the quality of light?

Was your client happy?

Ballpark, how expensive was the luminaire?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Induction Lighting anyone?? - 12/10/09 05:01 AM
Luminaires were about $4K ... had to be exp prf .... looks just like a MH light ... engineer spec'd, tiny part of job ( was building CNG fueling facility)
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Induction Lighting anyone?? - 12/10/09 05:46 AM
I have used in France with very hard to reach and tunnel luminaire both work very well as I expected and they can come on pretty fast but just a breif warm up once it stay on it look pretty good the colour itself is simuair to 41K MH's

The bulb life yeah I am aware it can go 100,000 hours before burn out but the question is the ballast I heard rumors some only last 50K hours but not confirmed.

Merci,Marc
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Induction Lighting anyone?? - 12/10/09 04:03 PM
If you're paying your maintenance techs several hundred dollars an hour and use a crew of 2 or 3 guys on every job, they're worth looking into.

I've never seen them installed anywhere where they ended up being less expensive in the long run.
Posted By: DayLeit Re: Induction Lighting anyone?? - 12/11/09 04:24 AM
Induction is fantastic light solution.

Induction operates at 1/2 of the wattage of HID, lasts up to 100,000 hours and has 80+ CRI light. I like to think of LED quality light at 1/4 of the costs.

We are a manufactures rep and picked up the product line once we had some fantastic success on a couple of jobs.

Check out the video the local news did on one of our jobs. WCPO ch. 9 news

Posted By: renosteinke Re: Induction Lighting anyone?? - 12/11/09 04:32 AM
Unless you've been running thousands of the units for 22+ years, you can't say with any certainty that these things will pass the test of time. We'll see.

Posted By: DayLeit Re: Induction Lighting anyone?? - 12/11/09 06:34 AM
There are tests run to capture performance over time they are the LM 79 & LM 80.

So there are test and data to back up the claims.

Joe
Posted By: electure Re: Induction Lighting anyone?? - 12/11/09 03:52 PM

Here is a link to understanding the tests LM 79 & 80

http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/publications/pdfs/ssl/lightfair8_richman-ies.pdf

From Page 15 of the pdf
"LM-80 provides no determination or estimation of expected life or lumen output beyond test data."
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Induction Lighting anyone?? - 12/11/09 04:01 PM
I confess to my ignorance.

A google search came up with the IES, or "Illuminating Engineering Society." I doubt many here are familiar with that group, so some explanation would be helpful.

The IES does have standards LM 79 and LM 80, but both of those seem focused on LED lights. Again, a little background would be helpful.

Otherwise, you'll have to forgive my cynicism. Anyyone who has ever change a light bulb has been bedevilled by bulbs that don't perform as advertised. That's a very large part of the reason you won't find lighting contractors in the aisles of the box stores.

Using the industry's "wunderkind," the CFL, as an example, even the portion that manage to last more than a month don't seem to hold either their brilliance or lighting quality nearly as long as the packaging leads you to expect.

Regardless of whatever test bench results might suggest, it's a bit much to accept that a product that has existed for -maybe- 10 years and is being sold by businesses far younger than that (speaking in general - not a barb aimed at Dayleit) can have anyhting close to a '20 year guarantee.' I can't say where I will be in 20 years, and I doube anyone else can.

So, I'll take the claims of future performance with a very large grain of salt, and see how the products actually perform over time.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Induction Lighting anyone?? - 12/11/09 08:43 PM
DayLeit:
Welcome to ECN Forums from one of the Jersey Guys!

That said, and reading your comments, if you could shoot me a PM here, or an email, I'm looking for some literature/info/powerpoint etc., for use within my classes at a County Vo-tech.

© ECN Electrical Forums