ECN Forum
Posted By: gfretwell Chinese drywall house - 11/04/09 09:13 PM
I was in a Chinese drywall house today, before any rehab was done.
The pictures are on my FTP site, (use your back button to get back to index)
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Chinese%20Drywall/
I will make up some HTML when I get a chance but these are the pictures if you want to browse.

Basically anything covered was OK (including under screws). Brass and copper was affected, steel and aluminum didn't seem to be. You could get the black stuff off the wire with your fingernail. Note the bus bars and lugs in the panel look brand new. (aluminum alloy)

Plumbing fixtures took a hit as did a set of brass keys hanging on the wall.

This house was abandoned at final trim and sat empty for well over a year.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/05/09 12:51 AM
Interesting....I have not seen any of this up here...yet.

Thanks for sharing, Greg

Posted By: KJay Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/05/09 03:58 AM
I wonder what kind of condition the AC evap coil is in. I’ve heard there has been a lot of issues with formicary corrosion and pin hole leaks occurring in them because of the off gassing from that crappy Chinese drywall. I’m betting the corrosion would have been a lot worse at the sink faucets and drains if water had been contacting the metal daily from use by occupants.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/05/09 04:08 AM
The evaporator is trash. I just didn't have time to open it up.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/05/09 01:37 PM
I assume the gypsum in this sheetrock has an excess of sulfuric acid in it - much gypsum plaster is now made at the top of coal-fired power station chimneys by converting the sulfur pollutants into acid, then 'killing' with limestone. Full of uranium too, from the coal. Try a geiger counter next visit Greg! sick

http://www.cez.cz/en/power-plants-and-environment/coal-fired-power-plants.html
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/05/09 02:17 PM
The sooner everyone starts using DIN Rail stuff, the better. clap
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/05/09 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Trumpy
The sooner everyone starts using DIN Rail stuff, the better. clap

Why go to stoneage gear??? whistle Might work here if we went back to 120V service. crazy
Posted By: johno12345 Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/05/09 10:59 PM
This is a new one on me, are you saying that corrosive gasses have been liberated from the drywall and that has caused the corrosion?

If so, thats rather alarming!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/05/09 11:45 PM
Yep John, that is the problem. China used fly ash from coal plants to make the drywall, as some US plants do, but their coal is a lot dirtier and the sulfur in the coal creates a SO2 out gassing from the drywall. It is still not clear how long it takes for it all to come out but during the time it does it eats anything copper. I do think, eventually it would reach a safe level but by then it is too late. nobody is going to take a chance on it.
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/07/09 01:40 AM
I got this off of a HVAC forum that I also frequent:

http://www.chinesedrywall.com/
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/07/09 01:55 AM
mbhydro, that link is frightening! Especially the effects on electrical wiring in the sublink.

This looks like a big story unfolding, Greg, and could get worse than the asbestos or aluminum conductors sagas.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/07/09 02:16 AM
One aspect of this mess that I have trouble getting a grip on....

Thinking about the bulk, weight, and ease of damage from shipping and handling, how 'cheap' (or economical) can sheetrock from China be??

Posted By: EV607797 Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/07/09 04:42 AM
It is funny you ask that question because I asked that same question myself. I was told that a standard shipping container costs the same to ship from China whether it is full of drywall or cotton balls. They apparently charge by container, not by weight.

I actually asked this question because of the influx of Chinese-made batteries that I've been seeing. Those things are pure dead weight, so I couldn't help but wonder how much cost savings there can be after shipping them halfway around the world.
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/07/09 03:06 PM
I have read that it costs more in North America to ship the container from the port to the end user by rail and truck than it does to get it here by boat.

With the proper dunnage in the container to control movement there should be little to no damage to the contents under normal conditions.

Getting back to the drywall the HVAC site had pictures of the damage to AC condensers and electrical controls from the fumes outgassing from the drywall. Everything copper was green and black. I'll see if I can find the topic on that site and post a link to it.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/07/09 05:42 PM
he issue at the time was not cost, it was availability. Drywall was scarce and houses were sitting idle waiting for drywall. My wife says the computed cost of a house sitting idle was something like $350-400 a day to a production builder.
We now understand it might have actually been a lot more than that if the bubble pops before you close wink
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/07/09 05:47 PM
Everything I saw was black. The scale on the wire was very easy to get off. It flaked off with your fingernail leaving fairly shiny looking wire behind. If you see green on the wire I would suspect that was water damage.

As an aside, to advance the theory that this may have been water damage to the drywall on the ship, the drywall I saw that was removed did have traces of black mold on the back and that might explain some of the respiratory problems some claim.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/07/09 05:55 PM
If the gas coming off is sulfur trioxide, it will form sulfuric acid just by absorbing moisture from the drywall itself, as gypsum, even if apparently bone dry, always contains water in its crystals. This would probably make the sheetrock crumble as it destroys the gypsum crystals. If its sulfur dioxide gas, that can convert to the trioxide in the presence of air and a catalyst, such as metals, salts, oxides, organic materials or sunlight. Both gasses are toxic. Once the acid is formed, it will strongly absorb water from any source and hold onto it tenaciously. IMHO this acid will not be removed from a house just by ventilation, for in a damp climate that could just make matters worse. In fact, H2SO4 corrodes some metals better when dilute. The good news is that it is killed by copper and cement, so once all the wiring, concrete and plumbing have vanished.....

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Chinese drywall house - 11/07/09 08:11 PM
Whatever it is, it only seems to affect copper. The aluminum hub on that garage door opener was pristine and the zinc over steel screws are still shiny. The brass keys were hanging on the wall 8 feet away and they were black.
© ECN Electrical Forums