ECN Forum
Posted By: wired14961 Old work bidding - 12/10/02 01:52 AM
I was just reading another posting on "project bidding" and there was some useful information there. So I figured I'd throw out old work, how does everybody bid on that?
My career has been mostly industrial type work, I've done side jobs here and there but usually turn them down for lack of knowledge on bidding.
Posted By: Wirenuttt Re: Old work bidding - 12/10/02 01:57 AM
Old work can be a little time consuming sometimes. You tend to find ways with experience that moves you through some situations. I would think the best way to start out is time and material. Some electricians wont do it any other way. Giving a flat rate can hurt you. Depends on the situation. If it's just an outlet, you could go flat rate, and increase the price per floor.
Posted By: wired14961 Re: Old work bidding - 12/10/02 02:12 AM
Yea, when I do side work I usually do it time and material. But then I get into the guilt trip of "if I did this all the time it wouldn't take me so long so i should decrease my hourly rate". Oh well, the more you do the better you get.
Posted By: Wirenuttt Re: Old work bidding - 12/10/02 02:15 AM
And the better you get the more money you should make. You'll get more work as you progress.
Posted By: sparky Re: Old work bidding - 12/10/02 02:21 AM
T&M working off a qestimation.

but that takes a little investigation, i.e~ wall cavities, type of construction, nooks & crannies...

then there is time vs. damage ~ or in terms of economics, how long do i have to fish vs. a patch job.....
Posted By: wired14961 Re: Old work bidding - 12/10/02 02:23 AM
Yes, I suppose you're right.
Posted By: wired14961 Re: Old work bidding - 12/10/02 02:35 AM
Fishing, now there is an art in itself. I was physched when I got snake across three rooms in my 2 family (ballon construction, electricians dream) when I was putting smokes in.
It's crazy 3 rooms about 25 ft in 2 minutes, other times trying to go 5 ft down a wall and taking a 1/2 hour.
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Old work bidding - 12/10/02 02:40 AM
Nail your "scope of work" down, and stick to it. When things get outside the scope, that's an "extra". I'm used to commercial work, and it is a little different than residential. I should offer my excel spreadsheet again. It's good for commercial jobs, and I suppose that it would be good for residential. So, again, for all who have microsoft excel, and want the spreadsheet, send me an e-mail, and I will send you a "blank" and a sample estimate. It may take a day, or so, but I will get it to you.

Regards,
Doc
© ECN Electrical Forums