ECN Forum
Posted By: Niko wireless electricity? - 07/25/09 05:36 AM
what are your thoughts on this? Do you think it will be a hit? It does not smell like like a snake oil to me.

http://www.witricity.com/

We have that happening everyday in transformers. And even though there are no solid proofs that the magnetic fields of transmission lines cause cancer, how will the effect be with the magnetic field between two points??
Posted By: gfretwell Re: wireless electricity? - 07/25/09 09:10 AM
Tesla had this idea but he could never really make it work. On a small scale it works (radio broad casts) but you run into problems when you ramp up the power. To start with I don't believe you won't be doing this at 50-60hz. I also wonder how you keep from collecting energy where you don't want it.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: wireless electricity? - 07/25/09 05:29 PM
Lots of people are convinced that cell phones and powerlines cause cancer or other problems. Can you imagine the uproar if we started delivering actual useful amounts of raw power via electromagnetic radiation, where negative bioeffects might be a real possibility?
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: wireless electricity? - 07/26/09 12:51 AM
I first I thought this would put us out of business but then I relized , it still needs to be wired and managed. Probably with more service issues than ever:)

Obsaleet
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: wireless electricity? - 07/27/09 06:05 PM
It's too lossy to be more than a niche. It would be nice to be able to transfer small amounts of power wirelessly- like to power clocks without a cord or to charge cell phones while still in your pocket, etc. But because everything remotely conductive will have current induced upon it, the losses are enormous.

Not to mention the transmitters are giant inductors that must be MUCH larger than the loads they serve (inverse square law), and will end up creating terrible power factor problems if widely fielded.
© ECN Electrical Forums