ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 04:38 AM
You know,
We're all here to help each other. We know that.
Regardless of outside influences, what do you think the goals of this Forum should be?

I've got a hard time explaining to the others at work what it's about.

They might look, but they don't understand.
So, why the heck are we all here?
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 04:51 AM
I don't know why I originally came here, but I'm glad I did. I continue to come here for fun, and fellowship. As far as goals are concerned.....I haven't thought about it. As far as your friends are concerned, I would tell them it's like flying. I can't explain the experience in terms that would give the listener the real feeling of flight. So in order to know, they have to "get on board". This forum is no different....just on board.

Fasten your seatbelts,
Doc
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 05:24 AM
Hmmm....good question!
I guess a tangent to this is "How did you discover ECN?" [did a google search, found it, laughed a lot, decided to stay]

It's about friendship. Meeting people that you wouldn't be able to meet otherwise and laughing like crazy at the stories they tell.

As far as goals go, I think it is implicit. To help out your fellow electrician as much as possible, and have a great time doing it. [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 05:42 AM
I came here on a Google search, either I was looking for the EC Magazine to subscribe, or I was looking for help on a question, I don't remember.

It was an immediate <click> <favorites> <save>.

I've been here practically everyday since then!

Especially since the latest developments, I'm in utter awe of the deep friendships that we have here.

Thanks ECN, and thank you Bill.

[Linked Image]

Into the future:

Someday, I envision wearing wireless devices, perhaps a small screen in our safety glasses, with voice control, camera aimed at point-of-view, etc.

And be able to access ECN "in real time" to seek or give advice to others, perhaps similar to surgeons assisting in operations from across the globe today.

Troubleshooting, programming, advice, simple documentation of work performed and not performed, etc. On-line ordering of materials, data for time on certain tasks...

Probably lots of other things we can't even dream of.

Technology isn't there yet, and cost would probably make it a subscription thing (Bill would have to charge for it), but it would be so worth it.

[Linked Image from hypertrek.org]

Or is that too Borg like?

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-07-2002).]
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 06:02 AM
As far as goals go, I think it is implicit. To help out your fellow electrician as much as possible, and have a great time doing it.

It was an immediate <click> <favorites> <save>.

Amen, boyz!
Doc
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 06:09 AM
I came, I saw, I stayed... in spite of not being an electrician and only having a smidgeon of anything to add, at that, you all have been most gracious hosts & compadres.

I found a piece of info for a contracting question on materials here with the assistance of several posters. I found more than technical info and a generous spirit and have passed along the site to several in the technical realm, especially about the safety issues.
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 06:25 AM
Bren,
I was going to ask you, "Watts a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?" But you beat me to the punch.

TKO,
Doc
Posted By: sparky Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 10:34 AM
i read the trade mags religously,then i found the url in the mag which landed me here.

i am in biz alone, but not by myself.

my proffessional counterparts are all here to advise me, which has been a priceless resource.

oh,on the 'borg' thing, i love technology but i'm sorta in 'spectacle denial'..... [Linked Image]

thank you all.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 01:18 PM
Don't know how I got here but I am here to stay. You guys are the reason I open my code book EVERY DAY! As for goals do we really need any. Hate to sound like some of our customers but, If it ain't broke then don't fix it!
Posted By: Wirenuttt Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 01:21 PM
I was referred here by my brother sparky. I love this site. Such a wide variety of experiences. We have the common home owner, electricians, instructors, project managers, maintenance and engineers. I wish I had got into this a long time ago. Fellowship here is what it's suppose to be. I find myself checking out all articles every day.
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 03:05 PM
I was referred here by my brother sparky.

You mean Steve M? LOL!

That's great! So are there any other siblings on here together?
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 04:55 PM
One of my employees found the site and told me about it. I think it's a great forum to bounce problems and ideas off each other to get another point of view.
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 05:26 PM
One of my employees found the site and told me about it.

Did you give him a raise?

LOL,
Doc
Posted By: j a harrison Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 05:50 PM
I found you all by chance,

and it was one of the best sites i have ever had the priviledge to land on.

Good people, doin good things to help each other,

as it is said so it shall be done !!

John H
Posted By: Roger Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 06:47 PM
I can't remember how I found my way here, but I'm glad I did, and appreciate being allowed to be part of it.

Thanks to all

Roger
Posted By: Scotts Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 09:00 PM
I found this place doing a Google search for electrical safety. I have become hooked on this place and spend FAR too much time on it at work. It is hard to explain to someone who walks by why you are laughing at the computer. Have learned much and maybe helped out a teensy weensy bit.

On a personal level I would like to thank all of you this week. My son has been sick since Tuesday and I have been at home with him all week. Not only was I home with him, I had to stay in the same room with him. He is autistic so he has a hard time expressing himself. I have spent a lot of time on the forum this week and it has helped entertain me while the Toon Dinsey channel was on the TV all day long. It was especially satifying to see the compassion for Virgil.

I still am not sure if I should be posting here because I am the safety guy at work and not an electrician. But everyone has been so accomodating and has been said before the members here do run the gamut. So I guess I can stay.

Once again thanks to all.
Scott

[This message has been edited by Scotts (edited 12-07-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Scotts (edited 12-07-2002).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 09:40 PM
Scotts,

You're interested in Safety, and Electrical work,
you're Home...

Bill

P.S. I have a hard time explaining it too.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: Explaining ECN - 12/07/02 09:59 PM
2nd that, we're all for safety here Scotts
siblings on here together?

CT, we take requests......
[Linked Image from hollywoodmegastore.com]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 12-07-2002).]
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Explaining ECN - 12/08/02 01:29 AM
I found this place through a websearch on google.

I love the experience/knowledge base that a group like this can provide. No matter what you are thinking about doing....someone out there has done it before and made all the mistakes. Learning from other's experience is priceless!

The best tip I've gotten from ECN to date??
Using a plastic baggie for blowing a pull-string through conduit. It works everytime!

GJ
Posted By: master66 Re: Explaining ECN - 12/08/02 03:04 AM
I found this site through a link from a fictional web site that I seen in EC Magazine. Cant remember the name of the web site but it was funny.

I too check in a few times a day, between 5:00 PM and 10:00 PM, when I get home from work.

I have the forum set as my home page and I wish that I found it years ago.

The chance to share the information that we do is PRICELESS!! And yes, this is a great group of people.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Explaining ECN - 12/08/02 03:15 AM
I have been hanging around websites with Joe Tedesco for many years. We first started out on Prodigy back in 1995 (I think) I found that "talking" with the ral people out in the trenches, helps us with our own jobs. I enjoy the friendship, the laughs, the hardships, and the help that I get from all of the people that I have met on these different chat rooms. I also feel that the more we know the better we become in out trade. I also believe that we can all learn from one another.

Harold
Posted By: joeh20 Re: Explaining ECN - 12/08/02 03:42 AM
I usually get to work at 12 am central time 6 nghts one week and 4 nights the next and read everything new then. Alot of nights it seems me and PaulUK have the place to ourselves Work isn't that bad most nights so I just spend an hour or two here, then browse the Mike holt site, JLC online, Hvac-talk.com they have electrical discussions over there all the time. I learn something everynight I log on. And feel really at home here.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Explaining ECN - 12/08/02 09:35 AM
I stumbled upon ECN by accident as well; I forget what I was searching for now, but it was most likely via Google as that's the search engine I use the most often.

Joe,
The only problem with being 5 to 8 hours ahead of everyone else is that sometimes a hot topic gets 20 new posts before I even get to see it!
Posted By: wocolt Re: Explaining ECN - 12/08/02 03:43 PM
I am new here found it by a google search.
WOC III
© ECN Electrical Forums