ECN Forum
Posted By: jkmscottie transformer help needed - 06/24/09 05:55 PM
I am trying to get from 208v with 2 wires to 240 on 1 wire to ground any ideas on how to achieve this?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: transformer help needed - 06/24/09 06:36 PM
http://www.acmepowerdist.com/products.asp?PAGE=prod_landing.html

You should find what you need here.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: transformer help needed - 06/24/09 07:29 PM
I just looked it up and they have 208 to 120/240 from 1 KVA to 75 KVA.
Search by keyword "208 primary" and look at the single phase units.
You don't say anything in your profile but I am assuming you know the ramifications of installing a transformer.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: transformer help needed - 06/24/09 09:31 PM
Are you sure you want "240 on 1 wire to ground"

240 is 2 'hots', 240 volt leg to leg, and 120 volt leg to ground and/or neutral.

Your profile says that you are an electrician, is that correct??

Posted By: GA76JW Re: transformer help needed - 06/24/09 11:32 PM
I'd be interested to hear what application you are using this for?????

I can't say as I have heard of anything that uses 240 on one leg yet.
Posted By: jkmscottie Re: transformer help needed - 06/24/09 11:40 PM
Yes i am an electricain. I am working on a heater project for the company i am working for now. It is for leakage current testing on heaters. They specified and asked if i can get. I am told that an isolation transformer will do the job. Staco said they can do it. Just checking with you all to see what your opinions are on this.
Thank You
Posted By: gfretwell Re: transformer help needed - 06/25/09 02:05 AM
The transformers you get with a "208 primary" search (second pane down) are right up your alley. For test equipment you could even switch the output topology to test with 3 different grounding references.
Posted By: twh Re: transformer help needed - 06/25/09 02:24 AM
Why not a megger?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: transformer help needed - 06/25/09 02:29 AM
WAG? Testing under normal load conditions?

BTW, you can get this at Grainger but you will save about 40% if you have your supply house order you one.

BTDT

Better feed the little guy anyway.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: transformer help needed - 06/28/09 02:30 AM
jkmscottie

Welcome to ECN.

Obtain a "Standard", off-the-shelf Single Phase Isolated Transformer, which has a 208V Primary, and 240V Secondary.

Feed the Transformer with a normal 208V 1 Phase 2 Wire + EGC (Equipment Grounding Conductor) Circuit.

On the Secondary side, ground either one of the "X" Terminal outputs... for example, Ground "X2".

Now you have a 240V 2 Wire system with an Ungrounded Conductor and a Grounded Conductor.

The correct way to describe your desired 240V Circuit is:

240V 1 Phase 2 Wire Grounded Circuit.

One "Side" of the Circuit is Ungrounded ("Hot" to Ground),
The other "Side" of the Circuit is Grounded - just like the "Neutral" on a 1 Phase 3 Wire Circuit, or the Common "Neutral" on a 208Y/120V 3 Phase 4 Wire Circuit.

Match the KVA rating to the KVA requirement for the test loads. Since the test loads are Resistance type loads, the power ratings will (almost always) be in KW (Kilo Watts).
If the Heaters consist of only Heater Elements, then the KW ratings will equal KVA.

If these loads only have Ampere ratings, multiply the Amperes by 240, which will show the KW / KVA rating.
example:
Heater Element listed for 240V, FLA = 10
240 x 10 = 2400 VA (Volt-Amps)
Minimum KVA requirement: 2.4 KVA
Transformer size: 3.0 KVA

Good luck.

Scott
© ECN Electrical Forums