ECN Forum
Posted By: sbi no more klein tools at Lowes - 03/25/09 02:58 AM
Lowes will or all ready have stop carrying Klein tools.
I just thought you guys would like to know this.
BTW they are deep discounting them right now
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: no more klein tools at Lowes - 03/25/09 03:55 AM
Thanks for the heads-up!

Any idea why they are getting rid of them? I can only guess that they don't sell well to Harry Homeowner when he can get a Chinese "equivalent" for a tenth the price?
Posted By: schenimann Re: no more klein tools at Lowes - 03/25/09 04:43 AM
I noticed the discounts. They are pretty steep on some items. It appears they are moving more to the Greenlee products.
Posted By: mahlere Re: no more klein tools at Lowes - 03/25/09 05:06 AM
Klein is pulling them...they made a strategic decision to only sell in HD...
Posted By: gfretwell Re: no more klein tools at Lowes - 03/25/09 05:33 AM
I am going up there tomorrow. I got a great deal on some stuff when they dropped Makita.
Posted By: Zapped Re: no more klein tools at Lowes - 03/28/09 02:24 PM
HD is also greatly expanding their selection of Klein Tools. They seem to be dropping most of their Greenlee and Ideal lines in favor of the Klein versions of the same tools.

Must have been some major dealings going on at these retail giants corporate headquarters over the last few months...
Posted By: NORCAL Re: no more klein tools at Lowes - 03/28/09 02:55 PM
There was a significant difference in the prices between Blowes & Home Despot locally on Klein Tools with one out of the picture that means HD's high prices remain.......

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: no more klein tools at Lowes - 03/28/09 05:41 PM
Curious question....take this in a little bit of a side track...

Are prices at either of the 'giants' comparable with a local supplier?

Chain (Graybar-Cooper-etc) suppliers, vs, the 'giants'?

Local (basic mom&pop) suppliers vs. 'giants'?

Opinions please......

Posted By: mb95307 Re: no more klein tools at Lowes - 03/28/09 06:26 PM
If you live on the west coast, and you live near a Platt Electric Supply, www.platt.com, they offer significant discounts on tools to apprentices and trainees. But you have to be an apprentice or a trainee, although they do not ask for proof.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: no more klein tools at Lowes - 03/28/09 06:45 PM
MB95307:
Welcome to ECN, from the 'Jersey Guys" side, and the rest of the members.

Thanks for the info & link...the west coast guys may be able to take advantage of that deal!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: no more klein tools at Lowes - 03/28/09 09:52 PM
I didn't see a terrific deal at Blowes on the Kleins but I still got some stuff. The 9" linemans with the crimper socket was $28 down from $35 (HD was still higher than that).
I got some 12" pipe pliers for $15, just because I wanted them and a couple "10 in 1" for $8 each (that seemed like a deal).
Posted By: renosteinke Re: no more klein tools at Lowes - 03/28/09 11:13 PM
I would just as soon see the store differentiate themselves from each other. Few things are more depressing than finding the exact same selection is multiple stores.

When my brother retired from the USAF, and we went tool shopping, I was stunned to see just how few of my tools were available from the 'public' vendors. Even among 'premium' brands carried by the box stores, the exact tool models were often absent.

The lesson here is that there is still a major role played by the supply houses and 'professional' tool suppliers. You know - the sort of tool store that opens at 6AM during the week, is closed on weekends, and is located in the dark heart of the industrial area (and lacking any fancy signage too!).
Posted By: sbi Re: no more klein tools at Lowes - 03/29/09 04:42 AM
I have two Lowes near me and checked them both out this week. I got a 1/2 3/8 7/16 1/4 nut driver and a pair of blue handle strippers ( model # 1010) all for less than $ 20.00 including tax. Also on a side note I Picked up a skill ( yeah I know ) 7.2 lithon driver set that can with the drill and the ratchet. Reg retail is 79.99, I paid 15.45 on clearance
Posted By: jdot77 Re: no more klein tools at Lowes - 04/15/09 03:58 AM
Home Depot will meet and beat up to 10%, if your looking for basic stuff. ie... wire, panels, breakers. There small stuff though will kill you, like connectors and such. Your better off buying all of your little stuff and supply houses and but certian things you can get for better prices at Home Depot.
© ECN Electrical Forums