ECN Forum
Posted By: edman78 POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/23/09 11:39 PM
Im rewiring a 100 year old home that has 100 amp pushmatic panel in it. Im temporarily tighing in a 20 amp circuit in for a bedroom.

Im pretty sure i have the answer to this question but want to make sure. I tighed in the new 20amp circuit but the breaker was off i then turned the main breaker back on and heard a pop sound so i quick shut the main off again.

I forgot to turn off alot of the branch circuits before i turned the main back on so was that the pop i heard because of the load? There was nothing on in the house just the fridge and the lights in the basement.

I first thought there was a short in the circuit i just ran because i had to use wiremold thinking i chafed a wire. I only hooked the circuit up to the breaker and the neutral to the ground bar i never turned the circuit breaker on so i dont see how that is the problem.

So was this pop sound because of the fridge and light loads? Nothing was burning or smelled burnt in the panel.

So at the end i turned off all the branch circuits and then turned the main on then each branch circuit without any pop noise.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/24/09 03:44 AM
I'd venture a guess that you heard the breaker mechanism closing.

The pushamatics make 'odd' noises occasionally. Some guys call them 'pop-o-matics'

Posted By: Ann Brush Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/24/09 09:34 PM
Does tighed = tied and tighing = tying, not trying to be smart just want to make sure I understand your post. I assume you're getting it inspected right?
Posted By: dougwells Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/24/09 09:42 PM
I think he meant tying in
Posted By: leland Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/24/09 11:03 PM
Where is Ohia? wink
Posted By: electure Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/24/09 11:57 PM
Don't they require AFCI's in Pennsylvania in bedroom circuits?

I don't think they make a Pushmatic AFCI.

Posted By: edman78 Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/25/09 12:00 AM
Sorry yes i meant tying haha. I remember winning awards for spelling back when i was in school now i cant spell for **** ha.

Anyway still don't know what that pop sound was but everything works nothing is burnt. But when i finally turned the 20 amp breaker on for the circuit i ran it tripped right away. Turned out i smashed a wire putting on the internal 90 cover on the wiremold! I hate wiremold!

Anyway case closed everything is fine and dandy now haha.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/25/09 12:42 AM
That's over!

Leland:
Think she means Ohio?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/25/09 02:33 AM
"Pop" always meant that an arc either welded or blew open, to me. I am not sure where it happened in that can but that's what happened. Maybe that is just the way Pushmatics close the circuit. Never saw one.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/25/09 03:06 AM
Greg:
They were made orig by 'Bulldog', then later I believe ITE bought the brand/design. I used to have a bunch of then in the shop, single, double and three pole.

IMHO, they were a pain in the butt. Bolt-in, tight panel space, and I wonder if they ever had a SWD rating.

It was 'push-on; push-off' with an indicator in the 'push' part.

Posted By: leland Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/25/09 04:16 AM
ITE-Bulldog-

60's vintage- here in NewEngland.
Still plenty around and holding up impressively.
Rugged little system. I have several of the breakers in stock for the occasional fail.
The big ones- 100A mains,30-50 A 2 poles.
Just for the emergency replacements.
Never heard one 'POP' tho.
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/25/09 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Greg:
They were made orig by 'Bulldog', then later I believe ITE bought the brand/design. I used to have a bunch of then in the shop, single, double and three pole.

IMHO, they were a pain in the butt. Bolt-in, tight panel space, and I wonder if they ever had a SWD rating.

It was 'push-on; push-off' with an indicator in the 'push' part.

I wrote the underline the three pole verison that is super rare beast I have one in the shop on the shelf somewhere back in the state.

pushmatic one instering twist and kinda rare to see it in three phase verison whistle

Merci,Marc
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/25/09 03:20 PM
Marc:
I had a few 3 pole from a rip-out job, only 3 phase pushamatic panel I came accross in all my years.

When I closed shop, the collection now resides with the EC who bought my assets

Posted By: EV607797 Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/25/09 05:40 PM
Wow, I was a huge fan of these panels back in their day. When you think about it, they were the only residential grade panels with a bolted bus bar. Not to mention that they made it easy to keep the loads distributed evenly. I probably installed my last one in the late 1970's. I never saw a three-phase version though. I don't see how it could even be done.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/25/09 07:00 PM
I grew up in the computer room biz where square D was the gold standard. You seldom saw anything else.
Posted By: Ann Brush Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/25/09 09:05 PM
Leland, I see you noticed Ohia. You are supposed to picture a scene on the banks of the Ohio R. and a conversation that goes on between two salt of the earth type folk where one says to the other: "Y'all crosin the crik?, and the other replies as he steps into a rust bucket of a John boat "Yup I 'a goin back Ohia uhuh"
Posted By: leland Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 02/25/09 09:46 PM
smile ,Many of the same tales Here in NewEngland! The more North east the better the tales get.:)
Posted By: rhiphi Re: POP sound in panel what is it? - 03/22/09 02:58 PM
I remember half the time doing service work that you would shut them off and then after you were done they wouldn't come back on
almost as good of an idea as the split-buss panel
© ECN Electrical Forums