ECN Forum
Posted By: nrp3 opinions on daylight harvesting - 02/21/09 12:17 AM
I am bidding a job that may have daylight harvesting controls. I brought in a lighting designer that is including it in the lighting package. I have never worked with any of these controls before and want it to work well for the customer. Its only one part of facility (a health club) with glass on three sides of this area with high ceilings.

Like most new technology, it sounds great, but implementing it might be another thing, never having used it before. I'd rather drop it from the bid before I install something that will be a headache
Posted By: Retired_Helper Re: opinions on daylight harvesting - 02/21/09 02:29 AM
Originally Posted by nrp3
I am bidding a job that may have daylight harvesting controls. I brought in a lighting designer that is including it in the lighting package. I have never worked with any of these controls before and want it to work well for the customer. Its only one part of facility (a health club) with glass on three sides of this area with high ceilings.

Like most new technology, it sounds great, but implementing it might be another thing, never having used it before. I'd rather drop it from the bid before I install something that will be a headache

OK, this one was new to me. Here's a quote: "The concept of daylight harvesting is simple. Digital photo sensors detect daylight levels and automatically adjust the output level of electric lighting to create a balance. The goal is energy savings."

The quote is from this site which I found via a Google search. At first glance, it sounds useful and practical. confused

Posted By: nrp3 Re: opinions on daylight harvesting - 02/21/09 02:34 AM
At first glance... I like learning new things, but not using my customers as guinea pigs either.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: opinions on daylight harvesting - 02/21/09 03:35 AM
This seems to be a fairly innocuous way to test new technology, and if you have a lighting designer onboard, you have the right expertise. Propose it to the customer, and make it clear that it's cutting edge new technology, and let them make the call. If they're asking for it already... then they're willing to accept the risk that comes with it because the energy paybacks make it worthwhile.
Posted By: nrp3 Re: opinions on daylight harvesting - 02/21/09 03:46 AM
I had a meeting with the supplier, the designer and the customer and they presented the customer with the idea. The customer was told his other facility was had too much lighting.

This whole package is tied to utility rebates and possibly tax incentives as well.
Posted By: electure Re: opinions on daylight harvesting - 02/21/09 04:12 AM

The concept of daylight harvesting is not at all new technology. It's alive and well in California. In fact it's one of requirements of our energy requirements for non-residential buildings.

You might as well get used to the idea.....it will be in your neighborhood soon : bash grin

Posted By: luckyshadow Re: opinions on daylight harvesting - 02/21/09 04:23 AM
I did a 5 story parking garage with open side all the way around it. We had those sensors to turn off the outer rows of lights based on the amount of sunlight entering the structure. This was a few years ago in Maryland
Posted By: nrp3 Re: opinions on daylight harvesting - 02/21/09 04:43 AM
Not a suprise that this will likely be the way of the future. Just like hear from some people who have installed it and how much did it take to set it up properly.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: opinions on daylight harvesting - 02/21/09 04:47 PM
Have it in a <6 month old Wal-Mart in NJ. Lot's of 'skylights' for the interior of the big box; dimmable fluorescent. Looks great with comfortable light levels
Posted By: nrp3 Re: opinions on daylight harvesting - 02/21/09 06:13 PM
I don't think we will be adding skylights, just working with the large amount glass already there. My biggest concern is with all the control wiring and commisioning of the systems/calibration. I have found this self contained system that fits in the fixture by axis technologies. Its been put in a few big name installations, though I'd like to see it for myself and talk to the facilities personnel to get an unbiased opinion.
Posted By: electure Re: opinions on daylight harvesting - 02/21/09 10:48 PM
The link to the Axis Technologies fixture is below.

http://www.fsclighting.com/fsgreenzone

I would think that individual photocells dimming the fixtures might become problematic. They use a proprietary ballast, which is probably not a major brand of dimmable ballast. Replacement ballasts/photocells may not be readily available. I'd suggest using a name brand of ballast for your customer's application.

All the lighting harvest dimming systems I've used had a common photocell, with low voltage control.
All the control wiring that's necessary is the connection of the photocell mounted in the window, or skylight, to the dimmer panel, and a #18 low voltage(0-10V, 2 conductor) from the dimmer panel, run between the fixtures to be controlled.

As a retrofit or new installation, it's really a no brainer.

Posted By: nrp3 Re: opinions on daylight harvesting - 02/21/09 11:28 PM
The tricky part of all of this is the fixtures will be suspended from a high ceiling. That would mean two cables coming down for each fixture. Not impossible I guess. I suppose I am getting ahead of myself because I don't have the layout in front of me yet.

How was the commisioning of the system? Lots of time involved with adjustments or programming?
Posted By: electure Re: opinions on daylight harvesting - 02/21/09 11:38 PM
I have had a set it & forget it experience. yay

No time at all spent adjusting. Didn't have a callback ever
Posted By: nrp3 Re: opinions on daylight harvesting - 02/22/09 12:04 AM
That's encouraging. Do remember what brand of controls you used?
Posted By: electure Re: opinions on daylight harvesting - 02/22/09 12:49 AM
Look on your Private Messages. smile

My Stuff (at the top of the page) > Messages
© ECN Electrical Forums