ECN Forum
Posted By: leespark Need New Set of Testers - 01/16/09 04:27 PM
I am mourning the death of my Greenlee DCV 10 testers which recently passed away.

http://www.yf-instruments.com/greenlee/DVC-10.shtm

I have been using this type of testers for almost 20 years and have been nursing this pair along for a couple of years because I knew they had discontinued the model. I have used the new version Greenlee came out with but I don't like them, they just don't feel right in my hands.

I liked having one of the probes on the body of the tester itself and having only 1 test lead. This is probably why they don't make them anymore due to the fact they don't have replacable test leads. I liked the digital readout, audible continuity, the ability to test low voltage and the carrying case.

The only other testers that are close in my opinion is the Fluke T5-600:

http://www.transcat.com/Catalog/productdetail.aspx?itemnum=T5-600E

I just wanted to get others opinions before I pull the trigger.
Posted By: KJay Re: Need New Set of Testers - 01/16/09 11:22 PM
Personally, I think you’ll be grazing on greener pastures and much better off with the Fluke T-5 anyway.
But, I noticed that Extech has the VT-10 and VT-30 testers, which look like they may be similar to your old favorite DCV-10. They even have the built in flashlight.
Extech

If you’re a dedicated Greenlee fan, they have the CSJ-100 open jaw meter, similar looking to the Fluke T-5.
Greenlee

Posted By: Obsaleet Re: Need New Set of Testers - 01/17/09 04:06 AM
I too, am frustrated with Greenlee's extiction of this fine tester. I have used dcv-5 since 1987. I at 1 point had 3. Lost one, broke one( the replacement tester was sad)and have one sitting here that I used some epoxy to hold it together. I no longer can use it on the job but is handy for around the house. I am using the Extech V-10 it is OK does not do as much and is a little bulky. I have justed yesterday learned of the Fluke u mention. I would like to hear your thoughts?

Ob
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: Need New Set of Testers - 01/17/09 05:41 PM
I'm going to say the fluke T5 is a great tester. I used one regularly for years and still that's the tester I reach for when I need to use one. I still have my Ideal voltage tester that I got 26 years ago, I just don't use it much anymore.
The fluke you can slide one lead into a holder that is molded into the back of the unit and it is just like the old greenlee style.
I'm sort of a snob when it comes to fluke as I have numerous fluke testers and would recommend them every time.
I've never used extech so I can't tell you if they are quality that will last or not
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: Need New Set of Testers - 01/18/09 01:46 AM
Our school board (that I work for) supplies the Fluke T5 to many of our people. Personally I don't like it. However; the reason I don't like it is because I do mostly low voltage work and need a VOM meter 20 times for every 1 time I need a volt/amp tester. If I used it more like a volt/amp meter I'd love it. Bottom line (IMO): real nice unit unless you need ohms to the 1/10th, capacitance (spelling??), & Hz etc more often than volts and amps.
© ECN Electrical Forums