ECN Forum
Posted By: Sandro m-h wall pack - 12/09/08 01:02 AM
Replaced a wall light with a brand new 400w metal halide wall pack on an old hotel for a customer.

Upon energizing to test it, the lamp would not light. While trouble shooting, it turns out that when only the ground wire was disconnected, the lamp would light. Of course, when the ground was connected, the bulb would go out.

Any ideas?
Posted By: walrus Re: m-h wall pack - 12/09/08 02:14 AM
Bad ballast? seems like the only thing in there that would be grounded
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: m-h wall pack - 12/09/08 02:48 AM
What voltage this luminaire is wired up for ? I have a hunch it may have wrong ballast to use in there.

Merci.

Marc
Posted By: Sandro Re: m-h wall pack - 12/11/08 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican
What voltage this luminaire is wired up for ? I have a hunch it may have wrong ballast to use in there.

Merci.

Marc

It's a tri-tap ballast. The proper 120V lead is connected, the other two leads are factory sealed and unexposed.

The fixture is brand new, complete with lamp and ballast. I have used many of this same type of fixture without any problem.

I take it nobody else has encountered this type of problem before.

Posted By: Rewired Re: m-h wall pack - 12/11/08 05:48 AM
Is the capacitor in the fixture metallic by chance?? I would start looking at something between the ballast output lead (if not the ballast itself) and the socket accidentally touching ground or faulted to ground, and my first bet would be a capacitor with a metallic case and an internal problem ..

A.D
© ECN Electrical Forums