ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Forum Style - 11/23/08 05:45 PM
What style do you think should be the default?
Which one do you think looks the best?

If unsure of what the look like you can see previews in your 'My Stuff', preferences or try them from the dropdown box at the bottom left of the page.

Bill
Posted By: dougwells Re: Forum Style - 11/23/08 08:15 PM
The dark was just to dark for me.
I do like the blue , but i have set mine at coffee. smile
Posted By: Admin Re: Forum Style - 11/23/08 08:40 PM
You all can ultimately set your own style and change whenever you want.

What I'm trying to decide is what would look best to the first time visitor, or occassional user and would give a good impression of the place.

Bill
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Forum Style - 11/23/08 09:07 PM
Management studies seem to show that periodically changing the lighting level - either up or down - spurs production.

Maybe periodically changing the style ... say, every ten days ... will increase interest in the site.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Forum Style - 11/23/08 09:55 PM
Personally I think the "Dark" scheme is too hefty, though it might attract some younger visitors (in my experience such dark colors are preferred by the under 18 community).
Posted By: johno12345 Re: Forum Style - 11/24/08 01:03 AM
I like the dark but then I liked working on dumb terminals and always had them set at black background. I was under 18 at the time but now, at 26, still like a dark screen
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Forum Style - 11/24/08 01:54 AM
I will like to leave it rotating every few days so that way the new members can see the forum is still alive grin

Merci,Marc
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Forum Style - 11/24/08 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by johno12345
I like the dark but then I liked working on dumb terminals and always had them set at black background. I was under 18 at the time but now, at 26, still like a dark screen

I have to agree there Johno.
I run my whole computer with a black background and green text, visited links are red and un-visited ones are blue.
I find it a LOT easier to read.
Posted By: Admin Re: Forum Style - 11/25/08 06:32 AM
Looks like we're pretty evenly divided, so as it stands I guess I'll change it up once in awhile.

Anyone that wants to select one for themselves can do that at any time.

Bill
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Forum Style - 11/25/08 07:18 AM
The only reason I saw the new format was something ate my cookie. Once I got it back to autologin it reverted to the one I have had for a while. I don't see the default as an issue at all.
Posted By: pdh Re: Forum Style - 11/25/08 09:54 PM
As long as people can change the style as they prefer, and have it saved with cookies or login settings (I don't know how much this forum/bbs software can do that), and a decent style is available (the original isn't bad, but I went with the blue for myself). If I wrote forum software, I would include the ability for users to tweak the hue, saturation, and luminance of the colors present with any style that is provided. It would be easy with stylesheet classes. A few things might need the colors in images, and that could require dynamic image generation on the server (but I've done that, before, too).
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Forum Style - 11/27/08 07:18 AM
I use the Dark (Black) setting, to reduce the eye strain.

Have AutoCAD set with Black Backgrounds - for Model and Layout(s).

MS Word is set with Blue Background.

Would be great to set Excel with darker views of Spreadsheets, especially since I perform >40% of a project's Engineering / Design tasks via Excel.

Back in the day (1990 - 1995), most of the Apps were DOS Apps, so the "Background" was Black (or a charcoal Gray).

My 80386 Machine had an EGA Monitor, which included a Manual switch to go into Monochrome (Green Scale), or back to Color mode - with the EGA's whopping 16 Colors!

Was great for MS Word / Excel for Windows (view in Monochrome).
Also was nice for Word Star (DOS), and the "Has To Be The Origin Of HTML" tagging used to format a Document!
(if you remember Word Star, you know what I am talking about!)

Scott
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Forum Style - 11/27/08 08:55 AM
On my DOS boxes I always use yellow on light blue.

PROMPT $e[1;33;44m
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Forum Style - 11/27/08 09:31 AM
I would go against the dark theme as a default, some people may think their computer is broken if they are visiting here for the first time.
I had a look at the Forums before, with my browser set to display default colours, I must say I do like both the coffee and the blue themes, if that is any real help to the cause! grin
Posted By: Admin Re: Forum Style - 11/27/08 06:08 PM
Mike,

I agree. I'll rotate through the other styles periodically and maybe throw in some Special or Seasonal type themes from time to time.

Bill
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Forum Style - 11/29/08 01:27 AM
I don't know... on the old monitors (60 Hz refresh rate, very low resolution) white on black is great, but on modern monitors it makes my eyes hurt, there I prefer it just the other way round, AutoCad being the only exception.

I had one of those EGA color/amber/green monitors too... definitely cool!
My first memories of computers date back to the 1980s when I was a fairly small kids (for comparison, I was born in 1985) at a big electronics store, amber screens and the screeching of dot matrix printers. My dad's first Apple PowerBook was another world back then with it's light yellow black and white screen and graphics.
© ECN Electrical Forums