ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Thread Preview Popups - Love 'em or Leave 'em - 11/23/08 05:34 PM
I've heard both positive and negative feedback about the new thread preview feature. Please cast your Vote about whether they should stay or go and add whatever comments you'd like.

Bill
could the pop ups be made a bit smaller they seem to take up the whole area on the thread title
Originally Posted by dougwells
could the pop ups be made a bit smaller they seem to take up the whole area on the thread title
Doug,

Not sure what you mean, but the width of the popup and # of characters can be modified.

Bill
The length of the pop up and the width can cover the whole area of the thread title and cover up the last poster plus some pop ups cover over the next 2-3 thread titles under the thread with the pop up window
I don't know the solution to that one. Size can be adjusted somewhat, but the window has to be big enough and hold enough words to serve its purpose. Something will always be covered up, but once you move the mouse a bit the window disappears.

If you try moving the mouse around a bit that might help. You can put the mouse just to the right of the title and you'll see all of it. once you move below the level of the title it disappears.

Just curious, what screen resolution are you using?
Is it possible to add a delay to make "accidental" opening of the popup less likely?

Personally I think they're great!
I like the vote system! I'd turn them off, but I'll cheerfully go with the majority on this one! laugh
Kind of on the fence. Cons are as said above...perhaps a time delay may be nice.
The thread pop up as it stands today, is a major annoyance.

A time delay would be a major improvement.

Additionally, the text should be smaller.

As an example, I believe this forum addresses the popup style and size best :

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

My first thought when I saw them was - Boy, that's annoying. (I dropped by the chat area for opinions on whether to even turn them on)

Since having them on I've gotten used to them (but they don't serve a purpose on the 'Active Topics' page). I think it's a handy thing to have for a quick preview of a thread and will even show pics if they're near the top of the thread.

The size of the box and font can be modified somewhat and I'm looking into introducing a slight delay.

Bill
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
Is it possible to add a delay to make "accidental" opening of the popup less likely?

Personally I think they're great!

Same here
I hate them. They either need to be a user option, or they need to go away.

At least you could turn "Clippy" off.
At least you could turn "Clippy" off

that brought a smile to my face i was wondering what he was called
I do find it a tad annoying, Bill wink
I like them sort of but I believe they make the page load slower as more data has come down. It would nice if it was an option in the profile to turn them off. There are times when I am forced to use dial up.
OK,

A slight delay has been introduced and those using the default (currently ubbthreads - yellow) style will see a smaller pop-up box

Is this better??

What do you think?

Bill
That seems alot better but the yellow style ewww laugh
Originally Posted by dougwells
That seems alot better but the yellow style ewww laugh
LOL,

I think the delay is in all of them right now, but the popup size has to be edited in each style one at a time. I'm looking for input before I go change all the rest of them.

Bill
I think the previews are good.

Also, it's really gonna change the data in the "number of views" column.

Color:anything but dark!!! EEEEWWWWW!

Pop Ups: much better now!

You have an ungratefull task before you!

But we all are greatfull for your hard dedicated work!

Thanx Bill.
OK, I've modified all the styles to a smaller popup and a slight delay.

Better??
Originally Posted by leland
Color:anything but dark!!! EEEEWWWWW!

Pop Ups: much better now!

You have an ungratefull task before you!

But we all are greatfull for your hard dedicated work!

Thanx Bill.
Thanks Lee,

I guess we were posting at the same time.

Just trying to make as many people happy as I can.

smile
Bill
A way to turn them on or off as part of user preferences would be better. But that may have to be added as a feature in the UBB software. I would turn them off if that existed. But I wouldn't want to be one to deny the feature from someone else that likes it (which clearly seems to be many from the poll results).
© ECN Electrical Forums