ECN Forum
Posted By: sudsy4 Splice Box - 11/13/08 07:00 PM
I need some help! I have 8 sets of parallel 750 conductors that I have to splice outside, about 10 ft from a pad mount transformer, can anyone help me out with info on an above grade splice box for this application?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Splice Box - 11/13/08 10:42 PM
Bill:
More info please....
4" conduit? 8 conduits, 4-in, 4-out??

Entry points? side? back? straight?? opposing? 'U' pull ??

Posted By: sudsy4 Re: Splice Box - 11/14/08 04:03 PM
(8) 4" in (8) 4" out. Thinking of somthing like the utilities use, we call them coffin boxes, they have a base that the conduit come into from below and an above ground area for splicing.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Splice Box - 11/19/08 02:20 AM
They list an 8-port 500 kcmil, maybe 750 is available:

http://www.aplussupply.com/nsipolaris/polarisconnectors.htm

Then look here:

http://www.quazite.com/?gclid=CMu15Z38_5YCFQpJtAodCmw3ZA

But you knew this laugh
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Splice Box - 11/19/08 04:04 AM
Redsy:
Nice job on the links!

I think the OP is looking for something like a PSE&G pullbox (coffin) AND something 'above ground' to splice in.

The PSE&G spec is precast concrete, 4' deep, 4' wide and 71/2' long. 4 over 4 in and out works nice.

Take care
Posted By: sudsy4 Re: Splice Box - 11/20/08 03:52 PM
Thanks for everyones input. I found what I need at Nordic Fiberglass, Inc. Comes complete with 4 sets 0f 24 pt 750 lugs.
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: Splice Box - 11/21/08 01:57 AM
The company I used to work bought custom made boxes from a fab shop. This fab shop - all they did was make metal troughs and boxes. Indoor or outdoor. They even provided POCO approved CT Cabinets for less $$ then the POCO.
I was told "if you draw it out and / or explain it to us - we can make it for you"
I put them to the test too. I had some interesting troughs made!
Might be worth the search to see if such a thing exists in your area.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Splice Box - 11/21/08 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by luckyshadow
The company I used to work bought custom made boxes from a fab shop. This fab shop - all they did was make metal troughs and boxes. Indoor or outdoor. They even provided POCO approved CT Cabinets for less $$ then the POCO.
I was told "if you draw it out and / or explain it to us - we can make it for you"
I put them to the test too. I had some interesting troughs made!

Good stuff Ken,
When I was doing dairy stuff we always fabricated our own Stainless steel "enclosures", all you need is a sheet bender, a clue as to what you are doing and a TIG welder to close up the sheet joints and make the thing water-proof and look nice, of course.
Most fabrication places are only too happy to build a one-off provided they get good plans of what you want and a time frame of when you need it.

My only reservation would be, would an independent enclosure be " UL listed" at all?
Would it need to be?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Splice Box - 11/21/08 02:21 PM
I have used custom troffs (wireways) when needed, fabed by a shop that also made switchgear and panelboards. Excellent end results, based on field dimensions. He was very cooperative and performed all field measurements. UL labeling was not an issue, all equipment was labeled.

The sticky side was...$$$$. Not a source if you had budget constraints.

Mike (Trumpy) did you do the fab yourself? Or do you have a welder and bender on staff?
© ECN Electrical Forums