ECN Forum
Posted By: dj Member needs feedback on her product. - 11/27/02 02:31 AM
Hi to all: I just finished creating a product that will help keep the wire on the spool. I really need your feedback on what you think of it . I have a site for you to check out:
darzspoolwraps.electrical-contractor.net. I'll greatly appreciate your feedback and help. Thanks Daria
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Member needs feedback on her product. - 11/27/02 03:34 AM
For those with a copy-n-paste deficiency:
http://darzspoolwraps.electrical-contractor.net

Daria,

It looks as though one could pull wire from the spool while the spool-wrap is attached, preventing "spin-off".

At the very least, if removal is necessary for use, it would keep them from unravelling in the truck.

Great idea!

Sell 'em in packs of five for three hots, a neutral and a ground. What size spools will they fit? 14, 12 and 10?

Good luck to you, it looks like you have a winner!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 11-26-2002).]
Posted By: dj Re: Member needs feedback on her product. - 11/27/02 03:58 AM
thanks Sparky for the great input!!. So far its for 12 gauge. I'll keep updating the site often.
Posted By: hurk27 Re: Member needs feedback on her product. - 11/27/02 04:12 AM
boy I could of used 6 of these today as I do alot of work my self and getting up and down a ladder to straghten out the wire can realy wear you out (besides that it's a pain). So get it out there fast I need it.
Wayne
Posted By: gramps Re: Member needs feedback on her product. - 11/27/02 10:46 AM
wow!....i'll take about 20 of them!... [Linked Image]
thats a great idea....what are they made of?...how will they perform on spools that maybe have a piece broken off the end?
perhaps we need to talk "distributorship"?
i could use another source of income.... [Linked Image]

good luck and "keep inventing" !!!
Posted By: sparky Re: Member needs feedback on her product. - 11/27/02 11:42 AM
cool!
Posted By: Gwz Re: Member needs feedback on her product. - 11/27/02 12:45 PM
Appears 8 narrow spools would fit on the display rack.

Is it the rack and spool adapter or just the spool ( reel ) adapter you are promoting ?

[This message has been edited by Gwz (edited 11-27-2002).]
Posted By: mj Re: Member needs feedback on her product. - 11/27/02 02:27 PM
good invention,dj, it will be a real time saver
Posted By: wirewiz Re: Member needs feedback on her product. - 11/27/02 03:20 PM
Great Idea!! When and where can they be purchased?

Wirewiz
Posted By: RandyO Re: Member needs feedback on her product. - 11/27/02 08:57 PM
DJ, Its a great idea, BUT,(here comes the but)

unless you could make a one-size-fits-all spools, how many would I have to buy.???

In other words, I hope you can make them cheaply and sell them @ a low markup.
The average EC would need to buy ....what???.. a few dozen.

IDEA #2 could your rap double duty as a carrier.?????

Any thoughts about computer and tele wires.???
Those boxes are a bear, 1000ft spools are better to work with!!!!

Keep up the good fight.
(Any thing that makes my life easier)
Posted By: Jim M Re: Member needs feedback on her product. - 11/28/02 12:04 AM
Looks neat, I would like to give them a try. Does this need to be adjusted as the spool gets smaller?

You said the first is for 12 ga. wire, why would size matter?

How about if they were made from a springy plastic that could be flexed to install over the reel?

On a side note, will there be a market for this when some manufacturers are now selling spool-less wire in shrink wrap?
They look good. The real test is in how well they actually perform. The only way to do that is make a bunch, and put them in a test market. The company I work for usually buys spools of wire that are minimum 5000'. I don't see a real need for them in wire sizes larger than #6, or on large spools of small wire like I mentioned above. But for the service truck driver, and commercial jobs, (if they really perform) they could really be useful. One way to find out how well they will sell is to have a forum of electrical "experts" in your area. Bring them in, feed them dinner, pay them a reasonable feed for their time, and give them a few samples. I wouldn't just call field personel, but supervisors, estimators, etc., etc.
About 2 years ago a company named Rectorseal called me, and paid me along with others in our area $75.00 for about 3 hours of our time. They were developing a wire pulling compound, and just recently I saw it in a magazine, or advertisment. They said that if they could get around 3% of the Yellow 77 sells, it would mean millions to their company. A few months after the meeting, they called, and I set up a "field test" where they came out with a 5 gallon bucket of their product, and we used it to pull in a run of (4) 500 Kcmil for a service we were building. They video taped it, and interviewed our "hands" afterward. It must have helped them because it is on the market today.
3M called me for a wire marking system they were developing, but I haven't seen it out yet. Maybe they didn't like my input? Heck, they paid me $150.00 cash for about an hour and a half.

Feedback...where's the distortion? [Linked Image]
Doc
Posted By: Admin Re: Member needs feedback on her product. - 11/28/02 05:12 AM
Daria,

We have an area at www.Electrical-Classified.com that you may use for more Feedback on this.

Good Luck
© ECN Electrical Forums