ECN Forum
Posted By: Merlin Ammeter connection - 10/16/08 03:43 AM
I have a 0-75 Ammeter that I need to install. This meter is a direct connection meter that does not require a current transformer. I am not sure of the proper connection this way. I have always previously insatlled the ones with the CT. Can someone give me the right connection procedures. I want to make darn sure that i hook it up right. Thanks, Merlin
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Ammeter connection - 10/16/08 05:39 AM
Does it have lugs big enough for 4ga wire?
Posted By: Merlin Re: Ammeter connection - 10/16/08 10:35 AM
If i remember right, it has 1/4-20 studs.
Posted By: JBD Re: Ammeter connection - 10/16/08 01:48 PM
A direct connected meter is installed in series with the load.
Posted By: mikesh Re: Ammeter connection - 10/16/08 03:22 PM
-----0-0------- Line 1 --------------load--]
shunt ^
--------------- Neutral or Line 2 ----load-]
Posted By: JValdes Re: Ammeter connection - 10/16/08 03:49 PM
Directly in series with the load. Take one leg of the load and connect it to the meter. Take the other supply leg and connect it to the meter.

Motor - Meter - Line. Example only
Posted By: Merlin Re: Ammeter connection - 10/16/08 10:08 PM
Ok. I thought that was the case but didn't want to let the smoke out not being sure.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Ammeter connection - 10/17/08 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by Merlin
I have a 0-75 Ammeter that I need to install. This meter is a direct connection meter that does not require a current transformer. I am not sure of the proper connection this way. I have always previously insatlled the ones with the CT. Can someone give me the right connection procedures. I want to make darn sure that i hook it up right. Thanks, Merlin

Also, bear in mind that the supply will need to be de-energised while this meter is installed, trying to do a job like this with the power still connected is just silly.
Posted By: BigB Re: Ammeter connection - 10/18/08 01:59 AM
Funny, just a little while ago I was thinking about those old ammeters we used to have on the dashboards of our cars.
© ECN Electrical Forums