ECN Forum
Posted By: petey_c Durable Glasses - 09/24/08 06:35 PM
I know this isn't an electrical topic. I hate to admit it, but I must be getting old. 6/32 screws are getting harder to see up close and it's getting tiring working at arm's length. Do any of you have any recommendations for durable reading glasses? I've bought the cheapo ones from both "marts" and figure that I might as well pay a little more and get a pair or two that lasts more than a couple of weeks (outside of leaving them somewhere). Thanks, pete
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Durable Glasses - 09/24/08 07:19 PM
Getting 'older' is inevitable for all of us. IMHO, a good optometrist can fix you up the right way.

Remember you only have two (2) eyes. Trusting them to store glasses may not be a good choice.

Posted By: Trumpy Re: Durable Glasses - 09/25/08 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Getting 'older' is inevitable for all of us. IMHO, a good optometrist can fix you up the right way.

Remember you only have two (2) eyes. Trusting them to store glasses may not be a good choice.

Good call, John.
I've heard of people buying el-cheapo glasses over here from a chain store and often making their eyesight worse over time
Only an optometrist can customise a pair of glasses, to your particular eyes.
If one eye is weaker than the other, using a pair of glasses with equal magnifying power, in each lense, would just be exacerbating the problem.

Optometrists are very professional people (and they charge accordingly for it), this is often money well spent.
Bad eyesight can really put you crook, especially when driving or operating power tools.
I would consider getting some sort of a holder for these glasses, that fits into your top pocket, I know a lot of people that wear glasses to read with and they are constantly looking for them.
Posted By: JValdes Re: Durable Glasses - 09/25/08 04:12 PM
While your at it, look into the transitional lenses. They act as sunglasses and regular glasses in one. The only thing I don't like about them is they will not darken in your vehicle (unless you have sun roof).
If you are a member of Costco, they have very good Dr's and excellent quality. You will not find a better price either.
I am in the same boat as you. Good luck and get your glasses asap.
Posted By: petey_c Re: Durable Glasses - 09/27/08 01:47 PM
When I originally started in this trade after getting out of the Navy in 1987, I needed glasses to see at a distance. After many pairs of good glasses got scratched or dropped tested, I decided to start wearing contacts. I still wear contacts but now need specs to see up close. I'll head back to my eye doctor and get a 'scrip for some reading glasses. I've probably spent more trying to save myself a couple of bucks than I would've if I'd bought a quality pair. Hindsight is always 20/20..... Thanks for the advice, pete
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Durable Glasses - 09/27/08 02:14 PM
Great idea, Pete.
I've had Rx glasses since I was 16. Yes, drop tests and scratching is a problem. As the years pass, the RX changes; went to bi-focals, then tried progressives and got used to them.

I found a virtually 'indestructable metal frame (Luxotica)that you litteraly can twist & bend with no harm. Not to plug a particular company, but the chain optical stores have them, as well as the local optician.

Plastic lenses are really great; took me a while to switch from glass. Drawbacks are scratching from drops or using abrasive towels to clean them. MAJOR drawback (to those in the trades) is 'plastic'; wear safety glasses!

Take care & stay safe.
© ECN Electrical Forums