ECN Forum
Posted By: sudsy4 NEMA 3R enclosure - 08/27/08 07:25 PM
Can I come thru a wall into the back of a NEMA 3R enclosure mounted on the wall and maintain the 3R rating?

Thanks
Posted By: wire_twister Re: NEMA 3R enclosure - 08/27/08 08:11 PM
If you use a myers hub.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: NEMA 3R enclosure - 08/27/08 09:56 PM
To answer that, you need to understand how the enclosures are tested.

For the NEMA-3R test, a driving rain is sent onto the enclosure at about a 15 degree angle. At the end of the test, there cannot be a 'significant' amount of water in the enclosure.

In addition, there is a rule that factory KO 'pre-punches' cannot be located higher than the lowest energized part.

Some understand the latter rule to mean that ANY opening made above the lowest energized part has use a Myers' hub. I'm not convinced of that logic for vertical faces, though I agree when the opening is on the top face. (After all, snow and water can accumulate on the top).

For openings on protected faces - like the back - I have a bit of trouble imagining how any significant amount of water can ever reach the opening - let alone enter it.

Remember ... NEMA-3R is essentially a glorified umbrella; it's not intended to protect a directed water source, such as a hose stream.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: NEMA 3R enclosure - 08/27/08 10:18 PM
I agree with Reno. The hole on top of some 3R's enclosures has that up rolled lip to prevent wat to get into the enclosure.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: NEMA 3R enclosure - 08/28/08 01:30 AM
Don't we go in the back of meter cans all the time? I don't remember any special fitting.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: NEMA 3R enclosure - 08/28/08 03:00 AM
The special fittings were for "field expediant" holes not factory KO's
Posted By: JValdes Re: NEMA 3R enclosure - 08/29/08 03:57 PM
You can use a nipple or conduit in the back bottom factory KO and maintain the rating. If its a concentric KO, and you have any rings left you must bond with a bonding bushing. Not required with PVC of course.
Posted By: electure Re: NEMA 3R enclosure - 08/29/08 05:39 PM
If its a concentric KO, and you have any rings left you must bond with a bonding bushing

JV, Unless it's service equipment (or you really blow out the concentric KO's), they're not required on systems for under 250 volts to ground.

© ECN Electrical Forums