ECN Forum
http://www.iaei.org/certification.htm

There are none better!!
These code enforcement organizations have joined together to establish a testing program that will provide nationally recognized evidence of competence and professionalism in construction code knowledge.

I believe it's true Joe......
As alot of you know, back in July I took and passed two exams that qualifys me to be an Electrical Inspector. (Electrical General & One and two family dwelling)

When I took the exams, I took them with the expectation of failing the first time. I thought that I would find out what the tests were like and pass them on the second try.

I've got to say, I was a little disapointed that the tests were not harder. I was expecting alot more and difficult questions.

I felt that the electrical portion of the West Virginia contractors test was harder. In fact, I didn't pass it... Good thing I got the Master license. (In WV you have to pass either one or the other.)

On some other posts there was someone that was describing what they had to go through to get thier electrician's license or maybe contractors license. For example; 8 hours of testing, some of it closed book. Load calculations, wire sizing...etc.

I don't know...maybe its just me. I was just expecting alot more.

I would be interested to know if anyone else recently took the exams and what they thought of them.

I'm betting these tests are easier than they used to be.
Joe:
Thank You.
Took the IAEI, (and New Jersey) tests in '91
In NJ it's ICS & HHS
IAEI also had a "Plan Review"
Wondering if they are any harder now, or easier??

The electrical contractor test in NJ was "interesting" when I took it in '86, can't say it was easy, but I made it the first shot.

The inspector tests (3) consumed a whole day.

John
Joe,

What is your defintion of " Qualified " ?
See the 2002 NEC Section 80.27 for Inspector’s Qualifications.

(A) Certificate. All electrical inspectors shall be certified by a nationally recognized inspector certification program accepted by the Board. The certification program shall specifically qualify the inspector in electrical inspections. No person shall be employed as an Electrical Inspector unless that person is the holder of an Electrical Inspector’s certificate of qualification issued by the Board, except that any person who on the date on which this law went into effect was serving as a legally appointed Electrical Inspector of _________ shall, upon application and payment of the prescribed fee and without examination, be issued a special certificate permitting him or her to continue to serve as an Electrical Inspector in the same territory.
(B) Experience. Electrical inspector applicants shall demonstrate the following:
(1) Have a demonstrated knowledge of the standard materials and methods used in the installation of electric equipment
(2) Be well versed in the approved methods of construction for safety to persons and property
(3) Be well versed in the statutes of ________ relating to electrical work and the National Electrical Code, as approved by the American National Standards Institute
(4) Have had at least ____ years’ experience as an Electrical Inspector or ____ years in the installation of electrical equipment. In lieu of such experience, the applicant shall be a graduate in electrical engineering or of a similar curriculum of a college or university considered by the Board as having suitable requirements for graduation and shall have had two years’ practical electrical experience.

(C) Recertification. Electrical inspectors shall be recertified as established by provisions of the applicable certification program.

(D) Revocation and Suspension of Authority. The Board shall have the authority to revoke an inspector’s authority to conduct inspections within a jurisdiction.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-24-2002).]
Here's the Bulletin of Information

http://www.joetedesco.com/insp.pdf

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-27-2002).]
What is your defintion of " Qualified " ?

ah...the crux de la crux Glenn !

I beleive it relative.

This then begs a Q from some of you old timers (if i may be so brash..) who've seen the introduction of the IAEI tests through to present day.

Have you seen these certifications grow in acceptance ?

Is there proof of this?

or....i suppose we could all time ourselves with the latter quiz & give each other high-cyber5's... [Linked Image]
In WV you have to pass either one or the other.

Hunh?!?!?!!

I had to take both... Three times for the Masters, but got the contractor's on the first shot...

And they say ignorance is bliss...

[Linked Image]
This is turning into a wandering thread.

Virgil, how do you feel about the approximate 5000 electricians in WV that never took a test? When they were grandfathered in, about 1/2 of them asked for & received a masters ticket.

Now, our inspectors will need to have a masters license in additon to whatever other credentials are required, provided the State Fire Marshal doesn't boot this one like they did with electrician licensing.

Master66, As far as the inspectors test being too easy, that just means you were well prepared. The thing I noticed about the test was you had to know a good bit of code because if you looked up every answer you would run out of time. As far as the questions being harder, I thought the ones I answered, while not really hard, did deal with the type of installations you are likely to see.
Virgil,

No, really.

I also took both tests but you only have to pass one of the two electrical tests to get the contractor's license.

If you already had the Master license you would only have had to take the Business and Law portion of the contractors test.

In my case, the contractors test came earlier in the year than the master's test so I signed up to take both. Glad I did!

As for being well prepared for the Inspector's test.

While I was in business for myself, as I'm sure all of you that are self-employed do, I was use to looking up alot of things in the code book. Especially since I did do some design/build work.

Working for someone else I'm VERY afraid that my not having to do that any more is going to hurt my knoweldge of the code.

I'm using my hands more than my head now and, while it was like a vacation for a while, I'm hoping it doesen't last for ever.
Joe,

I think too many inspectors, Certified and non certified, just do not take enough interest in their profession to be dedicated in doing a thorough inspection.

It takes TIME and dedication to do a thorough inspection.

I've heard many comments similar to " I know that contractor, he does good work. "

That statement does not mean every employee does " good work".
Gwz

I agree!

I can only speak for myself though, and I can honestly say that when I begin an inspection, I will leave no door unopened and no place, or corner without my eagle eyes!

I always tell my students that they should begin their inspection like a corkscrew starting the inspection tour in a clockwise direction, winding up in the middle.

I like starting on the roof first, the back stairwells, and the same procedure on each floor.

PS: Don't forget the space above the t-bar and under the floor in a computer room --- now this is Misery!!
I cannot say that this would allow me to perform 40 or more inspections like some say they do in a day, but when I am through I feel that I have given my best shot.

Even with this I would agree that anyone could follow, and find something that I missed and visa versa.
Joe,
I've been looking for a new "personal project", and I'm thinking about joining the IAEI, and going through the certification process, just to say, "I did it!", and to put it on my resume.
I intent on starting by calling the area chapter President listed on the web. Do you think this is a good place to start?

Certified Loony,
Doc
The Watt Doctor

Yes, and you won't be sorry! I am sure you too will become certified.

Good Luck!
Glen I have to agree as I think by now you know who I work for but any way as the holder of most of the companys license I have to make sure that things get done and a few do get through but I find many times when my head is turned they try to get away with some of the most dumbest things. but our state does have alot to do with that as there is no unification between the differant Jurisdictions and this causes too many double standerds. like portage will want one thing and lake co. will want another gary somthing diffrent. so it is hard to get eveyone to do the same thing. I tell them just follow the code but when you have so many loco AHJ's with diffrent views as how somthing should be done then it make's it even harder. so a unifide certification program would maybe get alot of this on the same track.
joe,maybe one day there will be one national standard license that will be good in all states, "federal electrical license"
yup, been wearing my IAEI belt buckel everyday for 6 years now....problem is very few here seems to know what the IAEI is....
Mj what a dreem I wish we just had a state license here in Indiana, Instead we have to get one in every town, city, county and even had a township that required a regastration fee. even though the state law wouldn't allow it
master66-

You are the first person I'm aware of that thought the first two IAEI examinations were not difficult. I found them to be challenging examinations. Congratulations, you must have been very prepared.

Have you tried the ELECTRICAL PLAN REVIEW test?

I took it back in 1991. It was the most difficult test I had ever taken.

Frank
Frank,

How long ago did you take the tests?

And, I have been thinking about the plan review test. Whats it like? What kind of questions?

And no, I didn't prepare at all. I'm really starting to think that I got lucky.
master66-

I took the ONE AND TWO FAMILY DWELLING and the ELECTRICAL GENERAL in 1986.
I took the PLAN REVIEW examination in 1991.
There were more calculations required on the Plan Review exam. I also remember quite a few questions on NEC Article 500 and 430.
I took my Master Elec. test in 1988 and I equate the level of difficulty to it.
Both exams gave me the same degree of headache.
I didn't feel confident after leaving the test room for the PLAN REVIEW test.
It was a great relief to receive my test score in the mail indicating I had passed.
By the way, are the IAEI exams given with computers now days?

Frank
Frank,

Yes, the tests are given by computer and you receive your results before you leave the test center.

If you don't pass, I believe you get your score and how you did on each area of the test.

If you pass, your results simply say "Pass". I have been told that the computer corrects the test until you receive a passing percentage then it stops. You never get your actual score if you pass an exam.
master66-

I forgot to mention that IAEI used to sell what they called study modules for the Electrical Inspector examinations. I found this type of study guide to be very useful for my preparation.
If you consider taking the PLAN REVIEW exam you may want to consider the investment.

Frank
Joe,

I took all of the IAEI tests in '95 and I too passed the ICS and the HHS requirements. I still have you to thank though, you told me to go for it, even though, I didn't think I could do it. You gave a bunch of us encouragement, training, and the basic knowledge of what to expect. Now I am a working inspector out in the field. I feel that my years of being a contractor has also helped me be a better inspector. (I know all the tricks that I use to use on inspectors.) [Linked Image]. I also try to use some common sense to the job site and I have your "Be Practical" chart hanging in my office. Thanks again for being there for me.

Caper
Hello Joe,
I had taken the General and the plan review and passed. I hope to take the one and two family dwelling one soon. I have a masters in 2 counties. Do you know of any other exams that are available to us that would be helpfull? The
IAEI exams really make you dig into the code to get the answers.
Happy Holidays
© ECN Electrical Forums