ECN Forum
I'm working on a project that the city has gone ahead and permitted even though the OLTG forms for outdoor lighting was not done. Now that the project is under way they are asking for them to be completed before final and as it turns out the architect doesn't know the first thing about it and has "turned" it over to me.

I have a few questions for anyone that has experience filling these out. Normally it is done by an engineer not an electrical contractor.

Waiting for responses....

Thanks!
Byron
PDF of the site plans:

http://www.mediafire.com/?xkdykc01max
as it turns out the architect doesn't know the first thing about it and has "turned" it over to me.

How "convenient" for the architect.

Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of filling out the forms, there's a 72 page compliance manual for non-resi outdoor lighting and signage. (that is, unless you'd rather not download the whole 715 pages of the non-residential compliance manual)

It's located here:
http://www.energy.ca.gov/2005publications/CEC-400-2005-006/chapters_4q/6_Outdoor_Lighting_Signs.pdf

I'd certainly not do this free of charge. The architect would charge for this (that is if he knew the first thing about it) mad
I'm not doing it for free and I have read the the manual. I'm just getting a bit lost with where lighting apps fall in the applications department. This dictates what factor you use to find the allotted wattage per square foot.

Thanks,
Byron
bwise121

I may be of assistance.

I have compiled one or two Compliance Forms sets in the past wink

Per T24 Part 6, OLTG Compliance, you will need to determine the Lighting Zone for the Project.

Typically these will be LZ 3, unless the location is more Rural than Urban, in which case the zone will be LZ 2.

The CEC site has a map which indicates the _Default_ Lighting Zones - AKA "LZ #".

Determine the LZ #, then find the maximum lighting power allowed per application.

I would imagine the LZ is 3 on your project, so figure the max watts per square foot using the LZ 3 Column.

Max Lighting Power per application, under LZ 3:

1: Driveways & Parking Lots:

To calculate Maximum allowed Wattage:

a: Measure the actual paved area,
b: Add an additional 5 foot wide border around the perimeter of the Parking Lot(s) + Driveways,
c: Add up "a" + "b" to determine the Total Square Footage for Driveways and Parking Lots,
d: Multiply "c" by 0.15 to determine the Maximum allowed Wattage.

There are a few other methods + applications, but they follow the same Logic as listed above.

Along with the Max Wattage determinations, you will need to:
* Apply Lighting controls to these lights,
* Specify High Efficacy Lamps (if HID, HPS or Metal Halide: specify Pulse Start Metal Halide for the Wattages listed),
* Specify Cutoff or Full Cutoff Luminaires.

Compiling the Data to insert in to the Compliance Forms is not very difficult. The Manual covers everything needed, however it can be ambiguous at times!

Download + Printout copies of the Cutsheets for the Fixtures installed / to be installed.
Use the ratings from the Cutsheets to fill in the "Fixtures" Database in the Compliance Forms (Fixture Schedule).

Include a copy of the Cutsheets with the Compliance Forms "Binder Set" (the separate 8-1/2" x 11" copies of the Compliance Forms which the Building Department inserts in their Files for the given Project).

Keep a set of the Compliance documents for your archives.

Almost forgot to ask: Did the Building Department request the Forms to be part of the Plan Set?

Send me an E-mail if you would like me to assist directly.

Scott
© ECN Electrical Forums