ECN Forum
Posted By: Zapped Again With The Gas... - 06/05/08 01:29 PM
THis subject may be getting a bit sore, but out here in Southern California, gas is well over $4/Gallon, even hitting $4.50 for MIDDLE grade in a lot of areas.

I've had to bump my rates 3 times in the last year just to make it work.

How is it in your area? What measures have you had to take to get by?
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/05/08 04:00 PM
It's right about $4.00/gallon here in south-east virginia for the cheap stuff, and $4.40 for high-test. Painful to fill up the Porsche... I've even started carpooling.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/06/08 12:18 AM
Not sure about gas prices but "cheap" diesel is $5.02 here....
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/06/08 12:50 AM
Central NJ range is $3.77 to $3.95 for regular gas. Diesel has been jumping; $4.69 to $5.29. Changes seem to be at the state mandated 24 hrs; 1 price change.

Two weeks back....Sunoco Ultra, 1 station $ 4.79.....1/2 mile away, same town, same brand....$ 3.89. The record last week was two Exxon stations in Summit...$ 4.79 for regular.

As to me; I commute 50 miles one way to the office, door to door (about 2 gal. 1 way); don't have any choice but to drive and pay.

BTW: NJ does NOT have self-serve gas.

Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/06/08 02:56 AM
I got regular the other day and it was $4.25. The good news was it came down.
Posted By: walrus Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/06/08 09:51 AM
The price should drop some?? as barrel prices are down and dollar is stronger. I know rack prices in Maine have dropped as much as 20 cents on diesel in the last few days. Haven't seen much change at the pump though. Everyone better get used to the high cost of fuel, its here to stay. Its killing my business as local oil companies are getting killed by the cost of receivables, credit card charges etc. They in turn can't spend money on their equipment which means no worky for me:) Also in Maine gas sales are down 4 percent, less broken equipment
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/06/08 10:35 AM
The price at the pump right now is not reflecting the cost of oil so much as limitations in the refining. It may drop, but I think "drop" is figurative and only back to $3.50 or so. $4/gallon gas is a reality. And soon, we'll be looking at $5/gallon. I've heard projections of $12-15/gallon within 10 years.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/06/08 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Zapped
How is it in your area?

You really don't want to know! shocked

At my nearest gas station: Regular unleaded $8.90, diesel $9.60 / gal.
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/06/08 01:43 PM
Germany near Cologne: $ 9.12 for both Diesel and 95 octane unleaded (=Eurosuper)
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/06/08 02:44 PM
The frustrating thing in SW Florida is the range of prices on the same day. You can pay anywhere from $3.89 to $4.35 within a few miles of each other. It seems the farther south you go the more expensive it is. Guys who drive from Ft Myers to Naple$ better fill up before they go or pay a ripoff price to get home.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/06/08 03:35 PM
It's the opposite here. It's still hovering in the low $3.80's where I live in Central Virginia but in Northern Virginia where my office is, it's running about $4.15 on average.

I've even started seeing gas stations go out of business around here. One BP/Amoco that closed down a few months ago was rumored to have been because the owners could not afford to replace all of their pumps. The were not designed to go above $3.99. Now that's pretty sad.
Posted By: walrus Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/06/08 10:39 PM
oops
Shows what I know, Oil hit close to 140 today and the dollar tanked. I;ll bet prices jump 10 cents on monday
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/07/08 01:20 PM
Regular 87 octane's at $4.03 at the three stations up the road from here. Diesel's about $5.00, and my school district just got their fuel contract locked in at $5.29/gallon.

It's just over 3¢ higher at this "famous" intersection's two remaining stations. I know all of my teachers are either carpooling or riding their bikes in to school.

Ian A.
Posted By: Rewired Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/07/08 02:41 PM
I filled up last night and it was $1.28 a Litre because rumor had it the price was going to jump between 6 and 10 cents overnight,... I havent ventured out yet but I will be sure to post what it is in my area later on tonight.. Maybe riding a bike to work isnt such a bad idea!

A.D
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/07/08 04:45 PM
ON Friday, June 6, 2008 the price of crude oil jumped over $11 US dollars per barrel. In one day. I remember looking at pictures of German citizens pushing wheelbarrows of German Marks to the market to purchase a loaf of bread shortly after world war one. We are not so far away from that at this pace. Drill Now.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/07/08 06:22 PM
The Gas Buddy website maintains lists of the cheapest reported gas prices in a particular area, along with maps of average prices by state/province & county:

http://www.gasbuddy.com

Over here, the AA website tracks British prices, and has monthly reports with prices by region, along with a comparison with other European countries:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuel/

Posted By: walrus Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/07/08 11:00 PM
A former Maine Governor predicted that Maine wouldn't be liveable if oil reaches 200/ barrel. I agree with him, the Northeast primarily heat their homes with oil. 2 years ago I was buying oil for 2.30. Right now the price is 4.40, you can lock a prices at over 5 right now. People are going to freeze or starve.
Posted By: petey_c Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/08/08 12:26 AM
Okay, I complain about the price of fuel like anybody else here in the states. But try and keep thing in perspective. I went to Qatar (2006), gas was about .27 cents per gallon (USD). I was in Ireland last summer and gas was about $7 - 8.00 (USD) a gallon. Gas prices do suck here, but it's worse for people in other areas (like Sierra Leone..)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_usage_and_pricing#Average_gasoline_prices_around_the_world
Posted By: mahlere Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/08/08 07:22 PM
so, just because others have it worse, we should be content?
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/08/08 08:09 PM
Not to be content, just to be ready to face 10$ per gallon in the near future. Here a 70% bump of natural gas for heating is expected for the coming autumn.
Posted By: petey_c Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/09/08 12:06 AM
mahlere, Not content or satisfied with the current fuel situation. I filled up the tank in my van and it cost $125.00. I feel like I'm just working to pay for gas now. But that same 30 gals or so would've cost twice as much in the UK and $552.90 (USD) in Sierra Leone. It could always be worse, no one is shooting at you or dropping mortars on your head...
Posted By: judsin Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/09/08 01:05 AM
The only good thing about it, I'm hoping the crunch will finally convince my employer to go to 4 - !0's.

Three day weekends every week rock!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/09/08 02:10 AM
I have had a few guys working on my addition and I get the feeling they are really only working for gas money. I had to give my roofer a partial payment so he could buy gas to get back the next day.
I really don't understand how the guys who drive around picking up scrap metal are making any money at all. I gave a Mexican couple about 40-50 pounds of aluminum but they will end up burning a half tank of gas before they get home with the money
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/09/08 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by judsin
The only good thing about it, I'm hoping the crunch will finally convince my employer to go to 4 - !0's.

Three day weekends every week rock!
Honestly, me, too! We have 5-4-9 right now (9 hour days, every other friday off) but I'd go 4-10 in a heartbeat if I could. And not just for the gas prices, but also the time lost in conjestion- every day at work means 1.5 hours lost on the roads. There's really no reason NOT to go 4-10.

I'd much rather be telecommuting. 90% of the time, I can do my job just as well from my home as I can from the office, but gas is free and there's 0 commute time.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/09/08 06:12 PM
I started thinking about installing a taxi cab meter into my van the other day. That might sorta simplify the problems and process of recovering the cost of fuel and its instability in pricing. I could reset it at the startout dispatch and add that into any billing. Sort of a flat rate billing with a fuel surcharge that is a metered situation I could verify to the customers. At the very least it would serve to continue to remind me every time I put the key into that gas hog that it is costing me money to go from point A to point B no matter how close or how far. Anybody know where to get one, and how difficult it would be to have it installed?
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/09/08 06:18 PM
And a two minute Google search produced this excellent result. [url=http://www.taxicabelectronics.com/][/url] This may be a rather good idea....
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/10/08 12:55 AM
And I bet you thought you were being funny! Actually, this was a topic in our chat recently.

Taximeters cost about $250, and you can set them for any values you wish. Perhaps a good setting would be your shop rate / hr, plus the IRS mileage deduction. When you finish the job, that plus your parts would give you your invoice amount.

Maybe that's not such a bad way to do things.
Posted By: kinetic Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/10/08 06:07 AM
With the rise in gas prices maybe cars will finally go electric and then electricians might have another market to go into. Well a bigger market in the automobile industry at least. Just trying to look on the bright side.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/10/08 10:28 AM
Actually, the infrastructure required for EVs... well, I'll start another thread for that one!
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/10/08 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by renosteinke
And I bet you thought you were being funny! Actually, this was a topic in our chat recently.

I was dead serious about it. But you know me, I always think I'm funny smile. Good to hear I was not the only one to think about a taxi meter. I thought it might be extreme thinking on my part (crazy). Still, I would not return to T+M billing. An added gas surcharge to my dispatch fee might work, based on the meter printout. The only way to find out is to try it.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/10/08 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Actually, this was a topic in our chat recently.

A good reminder that business chat is a great thing. I miss out on it due to the time difference in most cases. Got to remind myself to try to catch the tail end of them when I get home from the salt mines.
Posted By: Zapped Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/11/08 08:05 PM
In the 6 days since I started this thread, middle-grade gas has gone up to the $4.67 I paid yesterday. Some relief would be nice.

Posted By: Rewired Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/12/08 12:53 AM
Gas in my area since last I posted shot from $1.25 /L to $1.34 /L and back down to $1.30 /L ( regular).. I am getting scared at what its going to be to fill the truck next time round.

A.D
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/27/08 08:37 AM
Is this site a scam or not?, you decide:

here

Sounds like a good idea if it were true.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/27/08 09:09 AM
Actually,
This thread has got me thinking.
Now it is a stereo-type I know, but why must people in the US own vehicles with such large cylinder displacements, when a vehicle half the size would do the job adequately?

I own a Nissan Navara 2.4 Litre diesel utility vehicle that can do everything that I want it to and more, so why would I want something like a 3 or 4,(even 5 litre) sucking gas up to do the same thing.
Maybe I'm stupid, but I really can't see the point in having extra capacity that you will never really use.

IMO, these vehicles are merely a status symbol that a few people are regretting buying, now that fuel prices have really hit the straps.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to bash anyone that owns a large vehicle, but in these current times, are people down-sizing their vehicles or merely complaining that their gas-guzzlers don't fit their out of date budgets anymore?

Petrol hit NZ$2.20/litre here the other day and diesel is close in behind at NZ$1.85/litre.
Diesel vehicles are slowly pricing themselves off the market because of the added RUC (road user charges), where you must buy 10,000km's at a time to pay for "our roads".

Just my $0.02 worth
Posted By: schenimann Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/27/08 10:49 AM
Regarding the Hydrogen producing, we had a guy in our area recently rig up the same thing in his own car. It was $15 in parts from anywhere,a pickle jar, some conduit to induce current and some other parts. He fed the hydrogen straight into the injectors. He said it increased his milage drastically. a friend called him, found out how to make it and is trying it. I'm waiting for his results, if it works I'll try it.
Posted By: WESTUPLACE Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/27/08 01:25 PM
The process of electrolysis to produce hydrogen will not produce enough to make any difference. Most all these scams have one great limitation, physics. Any energy you use to make the hydrogen (from the car batt. ) has to come from the engine. The more hydrogen you make the more energy you need. Then you have the losses from conversion. The guys from mythbusters tested these devices, none worked. Like Trumpy said, the smaller the vehicle, the less energy it takes. The internal combustion engine is very inefficient, open the hood, what produces the heat? All that heat is wasted energy not sent to the drive wheels. You still paid for it! Robert
Posted By: electure Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/27/08 02:42 PM
No process is 100% efficient. It takes energy to produce energy. There is no perpetual motion machine. There are the by-products produced by these processes.

No "pollution free" processes. No water to wine (or gas), no gold from granite.

Doesn't anybody understand that?

(BTW, Regular gas currently ranges from $4.37 gal to $4.91 here)

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/27/08 04:38 PM
I just got back from a fly/drive vacation NH, Vt, NY, Ontario.
My most expensive gas I bought was around Lake Placid $4.39, (reg unl). The cheapest was near the Vt/NH border, $4.02 at a full serve station (remember those?). I saw some up in the $5.40s. $4.20 was a good average. Ontario is a whole different deal, $1.30CN a liter/~$5.04 a gallon (or $5.45 or more a gallon depending on who changed your dollars)
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/27/08 07:25 PM
Here in NJ regular ranges $ 3.85 to $ 3.99, and yes it's full service with NO self service by law.

High range was $ 4.79 gal for reg at two stations in Summit NJ. Yes there were customers at the pumps

Latest wrinkle I see is two level pricing. Like $ 3.85 CASH, and $ 3.95 Credit. It seems to be spreading and becoming the new way at most stations. Unfortunatley, it is a legal practice here as long as both prices are on the signs, and posted at the pumps.

Heard on the radio this afternoon oil hit $ 141 a barrel

Posted By: walrus Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/27/08 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by HotLine1
. Unfortunatley, it is a legal practice here as long as both prices are on the signs, and posted at the pumps.

Heard on the radio this afternoon oil hit $ 141 a barrel

Not sure whats unfortunate about it. Credit card companies charge 2 or 3 percent on the sale. When you make 12 or 15 cents a gallon thats makes the profit for a credit sale non-existant
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/27/08 08:35 PM
HotLine, the two-tier pricing is no surprise; indeed, I'm surprised it hasn't become more popular, long before now.

The legal price is the cash price. After all, doesn't the money itself say on it "good for all debts, public and private?" It would be illegal to charge extra for cash.

More to the point, paying with a card - debit or credit - costs the merchant extra. Sometimes a flat fee per transaction, sometimes a percentage. In return for that fee, the merchant gets some value: less cash to worry about, easier bookkeeping, guaranteed payment, etc. With the prevalence of credit card use, the once common station robbery has become a rarity.

Yet, the merchant isn't running a charity. Many of the arrangements merchants have are sort of like the income tax - larger sales pay greater fees. This is the part where the merchant starts losing money on larger sales. This is the REAL reason most pumps limit sales to $50.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/27/08 10:12 PM
I understand that there are fees for plastic tranactions, and the stations are working on a low profit margin. The buzz around here is, you can use plastic in Mickey D's, Dunkin Donuts for a cup of coffee, or Wawa, 7-11, Quick Check, and not have tiered pricing.
The $50 limit I have not come accross yet. A guy with a cigarette boat was in Exxon station gasing up & he was well over $500 on the pump, & still going.

I'm not saying the tier pricing is wrong, and it's nice to get a 'discount' for good old cash, & yes, profit is what the guy is there for; but I guess we (NJ) are used to one price, like it was.

And with all the 'extras' the merchant gets from the plastic, as you stated above; those values should equal the $$ differences.

Posted By: walrus Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/28/08 12:22 AM
I understand that there are fees for plastic tranactions, and the stations are working on a low profit margin. The buzz around here is, you can use plastic in Mickey D's, Dunkin Donuts for a cup of coffee, or Wawa, 7-11, Quick Check, and not have tiered pricing.

If your basic gas station owner was making the percent profit that a Dunkin Donuts is selling a cup of coffee there would be gas stations going up everywhere. Do you see new stations being built?? I sure don't, they're closing all over the place. The profit margin in food, coffee or fountain drinks is way different than retail gas
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/28/08 12:57 AM
Walrus:
No new gas stations, just existing ones renovating, adding convenience stores, some brand changing, a few tank replacements.

The few I know of that were in the planning stages got rejected by zoning boards. They were convenience chains that sell gas and there was a lot of oposition.

The tier pricing debate still don't sit right with a lot of people.
Are you implying that the profit margin % is now less with the higher per gal price?
5% margin on $2.00/gal, vs 5% margin on $4.00/gal. is how I see it.

Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/28/08 01:18 AM
$4.13 up the road, $4.15 at Five Points.

Two tiered pricing is catching on at some stations here too, but I've noticed some of them only charge extra for credit, not debit cards.

Ian A.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/28/08 02:42 AM
That's the point most miss, Hotline. The fees charged do not remain constant. The larger the sale, the higher the percentage - or it's a flat fee plus a percentage. A merchant might be making money on a $49 sale, and losing money on a $50 sale.

This is an area subject to intense competition, with all manner of card-processing services out there.
Posted By: walrus Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/28/08 12:09 PM

The tier pricing debate still don't sit right with a lot of people.
Are you implying that the profit margin % is now less with the higher per gal price?
5% margin on $2.00/gal, vs 5% margin on $4.00/gal. is how I see it.

. In Maine if you can get 12 to 15 cents a gallon you are doing well. I've worked on gasoline equipment for most of my professional life. That 12 to 15 cents hasn't changed in the last 30 years. When the price is climbing you can count on less margin, when the price is dropping you can count on higher margins. at 4 bucks a gallon, a 2.5% credit card charge means 10 cents out of the 12 or 15 cents the dealer has to work with. Locations pay 5 figure charges to credit card compaines every month .
Even the major oil companies want out of the retail gas business. My customers(all mom and pops or distributers) make far more money on sandwiches than they do on the millions of gallons of gas they sell every year.
Dunkin Donuts has 20 cents in a coffee you pay 1.79 for yet people line up in droves for it and never whine a bit about it.
Posted By: Jim M Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/29/08 01:38 AM
To expand on what others have said. A credit card fee of 3% at $2/gal = 6 cents out of the 10-12 cents per gallon markup. Double the price of gas and the fee is now 12 cents out of the 12 cent markup. And you need to wait 3 days for the credit card companies to send you your money.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/29/08 02:04 AM
I am not sure why the pumps default to credit when you put a debit card in.
It may have to do with the fact that a debit card transaction impounds the maximum amount the pump will let you have each time you put the card in. That can impact people who carry a marginal bank balance. It may be more than you have. There is some debate about how long those funds are impounded before they finally bill out the actual amount. I can't think of a hardware/software reason why it isn't instantly when you hang up the nozzle but I understand it is not.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/29/08 02:59 AM
I suspect - gee have I been learning a lot about this stuff lately - that the business does not run the cards directly through a bank, but an independent card service. I also suspect that the pumps choose 'debit' or 'credit' based upon whichever costs the business less in processing fees.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/29/08 04:19 AM
One would think that but debit cards are usually going to be cheaper. At virtually any retail outlet when the charge is going to be defined before the transaction starts it defaults to debit. When you pull that nozzle out they don't know how much gas you will pump and there is no way to get it back if you pump more than you have in the bank. That is why they will impound the total a pump will let you have until they get around to settling up, no matter what you pump.
Posted By: leland Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/29/08 04:25 PM
Here, more for credit(even a debt card!!?)

That was also the way in the 80's. I thought we were beyond that, but with bank fees etc.....

I saw this AM that natural gas customers (North East) can expect a 20% increase this winter.
The only good thing... State law will not allow the utilities to cut power in the winter months.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Again With The Gas... - 06/29/08 07:05 PM
The real sad thing about gas prices is rather it is fuel to get you to and from work or toilet paper to wipe you...er...nose, everything you pay for is effected by fuel prices.
Posted By: leland Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/01/08 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by sparkyinak
The real sad thing about gas prices is rather it is fuel to get you to and from work or toilet paper to wipe you...er...nose, everything you pay for is effected by fuel prices.

even sadder.. there is no supply problem.
It's all speculation. Conservation will not make a dif...

It's all BS!! Capitalism at it's best. That's what the USA is founded on.

But aren't we all in it for the money?

I hate it too, but if I could I'd jack my rates. Problem is, no one else will so I'd be outa business.
Truth is their game plan is working, make us dependant on them and all we will need is them.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/01/08 02:54 AM
Well, lest we drift too far ...

There's no denying the impact the expenses are having on our businesses. Jobs we quoted at a decent price in April are coming due today - and we're losing money. That can't continue.

So ... how are you coping?
Posted By: leland Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/01/08 03:37 AM
ME? It's getting tougher, at least copper has stabilized some what. More shopping now than ever.
Just hopping the "OK's" come in fast and can make the schedule.

I feel better now with a 30 day price lock than a year ago.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/01/08 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Trumpy
I own a Nissan Navara 2.4 Litre diesel utility vehicle that can do everything that I want it to and more, so why would I want something like a 3 or 4,(even 5 litre) sucking gas up to do the same thing.

I guess it's just a matter of scale and one's perspective. There are a lot of people here in England who would regard your 2.4L "ute" as a gas guzzler. They complain about people driving a 2.0L Land Rover:

http://www.stopurban4x4s.org.uk/

Originally Posted by sparkyinak

Some people don't seem to realize that. I've heard people say, quite seriously, "Oh I don't drive so the prices don't affect me." Presumably they think that the goods they buy just magic themselves from place to place.

On the cash vs. credit card issue, I've never seen any filling station here posting different prices, but due to the merchant fees charged by the banks, many now have signs saying "Minimum credit card transaction £10," or something similar.

Sometimes you can even get fuel cheaper by using a card. Asda (big supermarket chain, now actually owned by WalMart) now has its own credit cards issued through an independent bank. It's normal MasterCard which can be used anywhere, but if you use the Asda card at an Asda filling station you get 2p/L off the pump price (about 15 cents per gallon).
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/01/08 10:47 AM
Virginia voted last week to allow the local utility to raise their rates 18% frown My electric bills are going to jump about $50/month, now!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/01/08 03:05 PM
FPL just got a 15% increase. I think electricity is still a bargain compared to the alternatives.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/01/08 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by SteveFehr
Virginia voted last week to allow the local utility to raise their rates 18% frown My electric bills are going to jump about $50/month, now!

Yeah, but Steve, this is their first rate hike in a very long time. You have to admit that we've been getting a pretty good deal and we knew it had to eventually catch up.

Since my bill averages about $200.00 a month year-round, I'm not too worried about it. Since VA Power is my only utility bill, I think I'm getting off pretty light even after the rate hike. People in my area on the Co-op have been paying much higher rates for years, so I consider myself very fortunate.
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/01/08 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by EV607797
[quote=SteveFehr]People in my area on the Co-op have been paying much higher rates for years

Is that taking into account the dividends the co-op pays?
Posted By: walrus Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/01/08 06:01 PM
What to you guys pay per kwh?? In Maine its over 16 cents and we're getting a rate increase also. The thing is we heat our homes for the most part with fuel oil. Its always been fuel oil was way cheaper than electricity but right now its real close
Posted By: Retired_Helper Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/01/08 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by pauluk

On the cash vs. credit card issue, I've never seen any filling station here posting different prices, but due to the merchant fees charged by the banks, many now have signs saying "Minimum credit card transaction £10," or something similar.

Back in the '70's, we saw that sort of thing here in the US for some time, and not just gas stations. I can see the merchant's point of view on this.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/01/08 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Retired_Helper
Back in the '70's, we saw that sort of thing here in the US for some time, and not just gas stations.

Same here today -- Not just gas stations but many stores, especially smaller ones, put a minimum spend on a credit card.

Originally Posted by walrus
What to you guys pay per kwh??

At the current exchange rate of £1 = $1.98 my rates are:

Day usage: First 197 kw/h per 3 months, 38 cents per unit, then 22 cents for the remainder.

Night usage (Midnight - 7 a.m. winter / 1 a.m. - 8 a.m. summer): 4.6 cents per kw/h.

All plus 5% tax, no other service charges.
Posted By: leland Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/02/08 03:06 AM
5/12-6/12---- 1904KWH=$311.22 (not bad since I have a heat pump for the pool (18x36-10') and central A/C)

Gas: (standing pilots) 47 ccf=$73.00.
Not cheap,

Now to the business side:
As some here know I do fire suppression, this includes portables (fire extinguishers).

The price list came out today from 1 manufacture. Anywhere from 8 to 30 % increase for the units (depending on the size) !!!!

Reasoning:
"...significant need for monoammonium phosphate and diammonium phosphate."
These are the key ingredients for your ABC extinguishers.

Apparently, these items are found in the fertilizer (or the making of)used to grow the corn for ETHANOL.

So here we go..................

"DAP and MAP prices have risen 300% since early 2007, as farmers have sought to maximize crop yields- especially corn for ETHANOL production""

INFO ONLY !!!!!!!! I LOVE FARMERS!!!!!!
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/02/08 10:44 AM
What to you guys pay per kwh?? In Maine its over 16 cents and we're getting a rate increase also. The thing is we heat our homes for the most part with fuel oil. Its always been fuel oil was way cheaper than electricity but right now its real close
Oh, our electricity rates in VA are still cheap as hell, but I have electric heat and AC, an 18% hike is an 18% hike and it still hurts when it comes on top of a $250 electric bill. The rate varies seasonally by about 2 cents; I think with this raise it will be up to an average of around 7 cents/kWh.

Whereabouts in Maine do you live? Bangor Hydro still has quite a bit of cheap hydro power, but they make up the difference with an equal amount of diesel generators.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/02/08 02:56 PM
One thing to consider are the miscellaneous charges on the power bill. While my bill claims a rate of about 8 cents/kwh, by the time you add in those extra fees, the real rate is over 14 cents.
Posted By: walrus Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/02/08 06:40 PM
[quote=walrus]
Whereabouts in Maine do you live? Bangor Hydro still has quite a bit of cheap hydro power, but they make up the difference with an equal amount of diesel generators.

After deregulation Bangor Hydro had to sell all its generating assets. I don't believe any power in Maine is made by diesels. The biggest plants that I know of are Natural gas and the gas comes from Sable island. Wiscasset Nuke plant got torn down. Dams are are getting torn down for Atlantic Salmon.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/03/08 12:07 AM
Salmon or humans.....Things that make you say "what the..."?

Reno: The last time I checked out KWh rate, I simply took the grand total of the bill and divided it by the meter reading. It came out to a little over 6 cents/KWh. That is really the only method I can think of to determine the REAL cost of any measured service you are buying. While I'm not happy about any increases, I guess that we've dodged a bullet considering the insane increases in the cost of everything else out there that we buy.

Steve, I just saw in the paper today that Dominion is rocking ahead on the third reactor at Lake Anna. I can't wait.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/03/08 04:15 AM
What to you guys pay per kwh??
I pay $0.093 but may go down here in the near future. I am on hydrowh. There are some communites up here that pay as $0.75 per kWh (remote diesel). Recently in the State Capital, a land slide took out their hyro powerline line out for a couple of months so they were on diesel during the repair. They were like pay $0.50. per kWh.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/03/08 11:02 AM
I'm excited about the new Lake Anna reactor, too! I hope they build reactors 4 & 5, at well. I have no issues at all with a reactor in my backyard, we need to be building many many more.
After deregulation Bangor Hydro had to sell all its generating assets. I don't believe any power in Maine is made by diesels. The biggest plants that I know of are Natural gas and the gas comes from Sable island. Wiscasset Nuke plant got torn down. Dams are are getting torn down for Atlantic Salmon.
I've got two 10-year-old maps from MEPCO and BHE showing 34MW of hydro, 23MW of diesel-electric and one 60MW steam-electric plant in the area. I'd imagine the diesel plants are not for prime power, but more just to peak shave and ride through droughts. Diesel is expensive as hell for prime power, but very economical in a stand-by capacity.
Posted By: Zapped Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/03/08 01:12 PM
You guys are lucky that you can put a defined price on your power. Out her in Cali, power is traded like a commodity. Price per KWH can vary several times a day. It's very complicated and confusing.

My dad works for SCE corporate and has tried to explain it to me, but it just seems like a mess of money sucking middle-men who make a killing at our expense - and quite an expense it is.

Out here, running your AC when it's 90deg at night = no dining out for that month. Comfort costs!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/03/08 02:48 PM
Is anyone getting a significant amount of their power from wind? How is that working out?
Posted By: walrus Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/03/08 06:35 PM
Maine has several sites now, more going for approval. One site announced by a former govenor is supposed to be set up 26 miles out to seas and supply all the power Maine needs. Not sure if they have the money to do so yet??
This is Mars Hill Maine
[Linked Image from i165.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/03/08 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
Is anyone getting a significant amount of their power from wind? How is that working out?

I know Delaware just approved an off-shore wind farm. That, and Peco/Exelon owns the rights to a wind farm out in Somerset County.

Speaking of wind power, a good bit of those wind turbines and towers probably come from right up the road from here, where Gamesa took over part of the former Fairless Works Steel Mill. They also cause a good bit of local road closures when they haul them out!

As long as we're talking about alternative energy, how about the other kinds? Solar, geo-thermal, hydro, even things like landfill-gas (methane.) They're putting up a ~450 solar panel down by the old steel mill to feed into the grid, and the nearby landfill makes a small amount of electricity for the grid as well.

Ian A.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/04/08 01:30 AM
I saw scattered wind towers in Ontario but they were all feathered. I did see a bunch southeast of Ft Erie that were going

http://esteroriverheights.com/electrical/new_england/wind_turbines_lake_erie.jpg
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/04/08 05:37 AM
Originally Posted by Theelectrikid
As long as we're talking about alternative energy, how about the other kinds? Solar, geo-thermal, hydro, even things like landfill-gas (methane.) They're putting up a ~450 solar panel down by the old steel mill to feed into the grid, and the nearby landfill makes a small amount of electricity for the grid as well.

Ian A.

We have a landfill about twenty miles east of town that accepts municipal waste from NJ and PA, mostly solids left over from water treatment plants if you know what I mean. They harvest the "fragrance" and send it to a VERY efficient coal-burning power plant that is owned by GE down the road as a supplemental fuel source. The power plant generates electricity, then uses their excess steam to heat a greenhouse the size of 13 football fields that produces millions of pounds of produce year-round.

The plant's emissions are completely scrubbed down to solid particulates that are used to manufacture asphalt and running tracks. The coal is delivered directly into the facility by rail from Western areas of VA, West Virginia and Kentucky with no trucking required.

All of this happens within about a two-mile radius in King George County, VA. Talk about efficiency. I know this because these facilities are my customers.

I don't see any solar or wind generation being big here, but I know people from NC to PA using geothermal heat pumps who are paying a fraction of what fossil fuel customers are paying for heating/cooling.

I'm a nuclear fan myself, but we know how quickly that subject can sway.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/04/08 05:45 AM
I don't understand why they don't have more garbage to energy incinerators. We have one here that works real well. I only hope they are burning all the paper and plastic "recycle". It would sure make a lot more sense that trucking it 1300 miles to a plant that actually deals with recycling this stuff.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/10/08 07:50 PM
Not to beat a horse that is dead, but...
Does fourteen cents (.14) per gallon 'upcharge' for using a debit/credit card sound fair??

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/10/08 08:14 PM
I certainly don't believe the same up charge should apply to credit and debit, the bank charge is different.

Reno pointed out another difference, a cash transaction is a whole lot more labor intensive than a pay at the pump. They can have a dozen pumps running, sell food, "convenience items" and still only have one or two employees in the store
Posted By: walrus Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/10/08 11:45 PM
was it a branded location? Mobil, Citgo etc.?. generally its 2 or 3 percent. American Express is higher though
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/11/08 10:45 AM
It is a lukoil station. Was 3.99 before the sign guy changed the format to comply with state law and have space for 'multi-price'.

Reg cash is 3,97 and credit is 4.11.

Ranges are from .04 to .10 gal for pay options.

At $4/gal the 2% card costs would be .08

The sign guys are reaping a lot of work, We have a co here that makes the numbers and they are going full tilt to satisfy the demand for '4' and '5' digits for the pumps and road signs.

BTW, NJ is one of two states with NO self serve allowed, and yes the majority of the stations are equipped for pay at the pump, and have been for a long time.

I'm not against anyone making a living, or a fair profit from their business, but give a good reason for the changes now with the gas price increases.

Also, I have not seen a station with multi-pricing for diesel!
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/12/08 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by EV607797
We have a landfill about twenty miles east of town that accepts municipal waste from NJ and PA, mostly solids left over from water treatment plants if you know what I mean. They harvest the "fragrance" and send it to a VERY efficient coal-burning power plant that is owned by GE down the road as a supplemental fuel source. The power plant generates electricity, then uses their excess steam to heat a greenhouse the size of 13 football fields that produces millions of pounds of produce year-round.

The plant's emissions are completely scrubbed down to solid particulates that are used to manufacture asphalt and running tracks. The coal is delivered directly into the facility by rail from Western areas of VA, West Virginia and Kentucky with no trucking required.

All of this happens within about a two-mile radius in King George County, VA. Talk about efficiency. I know this because these facilities are my customers.

Sounds like something we could do here in Bucks County with all the garbage NJ and NY give us! And all the coal in this state. If only we had a lot more space...

I don't see any solar or wind generation being big here-

Like I said, we're getting solar and Peco gets some wind power from Somerset County. Heck, Tullytown's going to go under when that whole-town-supporting landfill closes, maybe they can plant some windmills on it to lessen the blow. Only problem would be the foundations I think.

but I know people from NC to PA using geothermal heat pumps who are paying a fraction of what fossil fuel customers are paying for heating/cooling.

I know my English and shop teachers (who live in larger Levittown houses pay less than we do w/ their heat pumps, than we do with this smaller house and oil! And that's with the pellet stove downstairs factored in.

I'm a nuclear fan myself, but we know how quickly that subject can sway.

I'm with you there, but let's not get into that now.

Ian (Leaky houses) A.
Posted By: Schuttwegraeumer Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/18/08 05:03 AM

How much du you pay for i kWh?
We pay 0.16 EURO/kWh in AT here.
Posted By: Schuttwegraeumer Re: Again With The Gas... - 07/18/08 05:10 AM

We pay 16 Cent too but Eurocent not Dollarcent.
I think this price is not too high.
My consumption is ca. 5000 kWh per year.
But I have disctrict heating for heating and warm water.
I need the electricity only for light, stove and power sockets.
© ECN Electrical Forums