ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkync "Low Voltage license" - 11/19/02 07:55 PM
I recently was checking on getting parts for my "burglar alarm" project, and was told by a local "alarm supply" house, that I had to get the special "low voltage" alarm license, even though I had my State Electrical License. I have contacted the Electrical Board in my state, and am waiting their reply. Just wondering what other states require in this field. Looks like the State License should cover it all. Thanks for the input.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparkync Re: "Low Voltage license" - 11/19/02 09:02 PM
Just as I thought, My state says I can do any low voltage job I may have under my existing State License [Linked Image] The alarm people says I will have to be finger printed etc. to install burglar alarms... Wonder if that is just a sales pitch or has anyone heard of such. He explained that they didn't want thiefs hooking up burglar alarm systems because he will know how it is wire and possible know how to over ride it, by knowing where wires are and to clip them.. Sounding more like a sales pitch all the time though.... Any input??
Posted By: Wirenuttt Re: "Low Voltage license" - 11/19/02 09:47 PM
I think if I was to deal with this guy you mention, I might tell him that I'm authorized to install burglar alarm systems, I'm licensed to do so and How do you know these low voltage guys aren't scheming. I think it's discrimination not to sell a product to someone, specially with a lame excuse like that. They can't write their own laws at the supply house. I remenber back in the early 80s when i first got my license the supply house asked if I was licensed. I said kind of bluntly, what state would you like to see and handed him 3 licenses. I didn't think supply houses of any type would still be conducting themselves like that. It's not like your buying a gun,
Posted By: spyder Re: "Low Voltage license" - 11/19/02 10:15 PM
As far as I know in Massachusetts, you do not need a license to do burgler alarms. Fire Alarms are a much different story. Most companies that i deal with do both fire and burgler. They sell fear to their clients during sales pitches I have witnessed, which I believe the alarm company you are dealing with is doing.
Posted By: mj Re: "Low Voltage license" - 11/19/02 10:43 PM
you can get your burgler alarm supplies from www.adi.com, no lic required be buy the parts, however a lic is required to install/service the equiptment.the supply house is pulling you leg.
Posted By: mj Re: "Low Voltage license" - 11/19/02 10:52 PM
sparkync, disregard the above e mail address, the correct address is www.adilink.com for your alarm supplies.
Posted By: arseegee Re: "Low Voltage license" - 11/20/02 01:58 AM
In my state an electrician can not do any work under 90V. We have four different types of low voltage licenses that cover general, telecom, alarm and unrestricted. After sitting through an eight hour masters test, I found the LV test quite easy.
Posted By: Mike_Riverside Re: "Low Voltage license" - 11/20/02 02:00 AM
CA has different licenses... (C-10 for Electrical and C-7 for low voltage (<91 volts), HOWEVER: a C-10 (electrical) contractor CAN do low voltage. CA does have a seperate licencing agency for the installation of buglar/fire alarms though.

California Code of Regulations
Division 8, Title 16, Article 3. Classification

C10 – Electrical Contractor

An electrical contractor places, installs, erects or connects any electrical wires, fixtures, appliances, apparatus, raceways, conduits, solar photovoltaic cells or any part thereof, which generate, transmit, transform or utilize electrical energy in any form or for any purpose.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: "Low Voltage license" - 04/24/05 12:00 AM
Wirenutt: "I think it's discrimination not to sell a product to someone, specially with a lame excuse like that." I agree with that. I walk in to a hardware store, grab a blue Carlon plastic box, and expect to pay without a hassle, But when the clerk stops me, asks me for some form of ID, and tells me to scram due to me being 13, that's just not right! (Don't ask what I use those boxes for, LV wiring to traffic lights to storing nuts and bolts.
Posted By: hbiss Re: "Low Voltage license" - 04/24/05 02:07 AM
New York requires a burgler/fire alarm license. Yes I do believe that you will be fingerprinted and a background check done.

I know that in Connecticut you will need a separate license to do CATV/antenna work and to install coax within a building or house. Wonder how many CT EC's know that?

-Hal
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: "Low Voltage license" - 04/24/05 12:59 PM
In NYC, you will need a separate license to install burglar alarm - most likely the supply houses will not sell to you without that license.

In NYS, you will need a separate license for burglar as well, with some of the supply houses not selling to any but a license holder. Fire Alarm can be installed in NYS where you hold your license. If you want to install fire alarm outside of where you hold your license, you need the state license.
Posted By: Joey D Re: "Low Voltage license" - 04/24/05 02:11 PM
In MA we have a public safty lic. It's a background check just like a firearm lic. I guess they don't want a convicted felon installing your security system and giving themself a way in your house and all the time needed to scope it out.
I have one and it was easy to get but you must pay for it.
© ECN Electrical Forums