ECN Forum
Posted By: Cinner Pocket Book - 03/02/08 07:48 PM
Does anyone know of a quick reference guide for electritions? Something that will give you tranformer cable sizes, conduit sizes, cable ampacities etc. Something other than Ugly's. I saw one that was called an engineers pocket book but don't know where to get it or it's real name.

Posted By: dougwells Re: Pocket Book - 03/02/08 11:48 PM
Check the Bookstore at the University ....I think I saw one at TRu Bookstore here in Kamloops Last month.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Pocket Book - 03/03/08 12:50 AM
Do you mean the little black book "Pocket Ref" Sequioa Publishing? They have them at welding stores and you can probably get one at Graingers. That has about 40 pages of electrical stuff but far from an electrical reference book.
There is also a "blue book" about the same size that has PC stuff in it. I would buy the equivalent if it was "electrical" in a heartbeat.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Pocket Book - 03/03/08 12:55 AM
http://www.sequoiapublishing.com/pdt_pocketref3ed.htm

I use this thing all the time--well worth the price!

Not all electrical by any means, but a good general "shop reference". It won't replace copies of the NEC, Machinery's handbook, and the CRC handbook, but it makes a great "first stop" for basic info on everything from wire ampacity to tap/drill sizes to the periodic table.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Pocket Book - 03/03/08 11:58 AM
I picked up a Dr. Watts a few years back- it's got just about every table and quick reference you'd need.
Posted By: JValdes Re: Pocket Book - 03/04/08 06:41 PM
Don't pay for an engineering pocket handbook. Any motor shop or similar gives them out for free. Just ask any rep you see.
Posted By: bigrockk Re: Pocket Book - 03/05/08 02:17 AM
[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

Are these the type of pocket books you are referring to?
(Actually I thought this would be a good opportunity to play with the Photo Upload site)

If this is what you are looking for then JValdes was right on the money, you can get them for free quite easily.
Also the "Pocket Ref" booklet that some of the others refered to is a fantastic little book that's packed full of good info, Princess Auto sells them for around 14 bucks.
Posted By: JValdes Re: Pocket Book - 03/07/08 04:21 PM
Bigrockk,
Yes, exactly. I have them from different motor shops and they are printed by EASA. "Electrical Apparatuss Service Association". Actually, I cannot count how many I have handed out myself. I used to work in a motor shop as a tech.salesman for several years.

ps....looks like you really put them to use.
© ECN Electrical Forums