ECN Forum
Posted By: sbi maint electrician - 03/02/08 06:35 PM
hi all. i am about to accept a job has a mainteneance electrician. just wondering what kind of tools should i expect to take to work with me be sides the basics like my meters hand tools etc. any and all feed back will be greatly appericated
Posted By: gfretwell Re: maint electrician - 03/02/08 06:54 PM
I would just start with the basics you have and see what you need after you get there. They may even have a lot of the special tools on site.
Posted By: BPHgravity Re: maint electrician - 03/02/08 11:21 PM
That's a good question to ask at the interview...

The big difference between between tool use in construction and tool use in maintenance, is the way you carry your tools.

In construction, the usual gear is a tool belt and 5 gallon bucket to carry around your stuff. In maintenance work, I found a tool bag or tool cady worked best.

[Linked Image from harborfreight.com]

[Linked Image from mobile-shop.com]
Posted By: sbi Re: maint electrician - 03/02/08 11:51 PM
thanks for all the input sofar. I wanted to ask but they had a major problem when one of the key machines when i was interviewing so it was cut short
Posted By: renosteinke Re: maint electrician - 03/03/08 03:04 AM
Put away that checkbook!

Look around, and see how others there operate. I'd keep any meters, etc., at home, unless told to bring them in.
There are three reasons I say this: 1) Folks there aren't stupid; 2) Many such tools are company provided; and, 3) There may be ISO 9000 / calibration issues.

"Basic tools?" That's a laugh. Many 'standard' electrician tools you will never use (like, probably, a pipe bender) while other strange tools will see routine use (like a pin wrench).

I'd also see what the place has in mind for the security of your tools.

If there are any 'company' tools that you wish to personally own, I would make darn sure to get similar tools of a DIFFERENT make. It prevents misunderstandings later on.
Posted By: sbi Re: maint electrician - 03/09/08 07:02 PM
the company doesnot have much in the way of company tools. I have only seen 1 nylon fish tape 2 pairs of bolt cutters and 1 48" pipe wrench
Posted By: JValdes Re: maint electrician - 03/11/08 04:19 PM
The others are correct. You should not have to bring YOUR meter to work. Meters, knock outs, pipe benders ect....should be provided by the company. You should contact them before you go to work and ask them what you should bring. If they say "hand tools" just bring what you would normally carry in your tool pouch. You will not find many tool pouches in a maintenance setting. Roll around tool boxes are used alot. But I have only seen them used when the company provided them and all the tools to fill it up. I have reservations when you must bring your own tools into a manufacturing environment. It is usually a very good indication that they are CHEAP!!!!!!
Posted By: renosteinke Re: maint electrician - 03/12/08 01:36 AM
I'm going to re-phrase some points raised by another. I know, some topics can inspire passion - but here we do try to use complete sentences, and words of more than one syllable laugh

Maintenance electrical work is a world of its' own. The first rule is : Safety. Protect yourself. The company is required to provide you with the means to lock out equipment while you work on it. Use it.

Rule #2 is: Stick to your guns. If it needs fixing, fix it. It matters not how upset the production folks might get. It's just not worth it to cut corners, and have a greater disaster happen. Should such a disaster happen, you can be sure the very ones egging you on will insist they did otherwise.

Rule #3 is: Get educated. The company should provide you with some training; seek out additional training on your own. As a maintenance electrician, it's not enough to know your trade. You also need to understand the processes you need to control.
While all apprentice electricians get some training in motors, and their controls, it's well worth it to take some courses at your local college. It's a bit different from your usual 3-way switches laugh

Keep in mind that industrial sites have an entirely different sort of hazards than construction sites. You'll be exposed to mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, temperature, and electrical risks entirely different than what you see in construction.
Some things require special training .... if they point you to the high voltage gear, and expect you to 'figure it out' without first training and equipping you, run like mad from that place! Know your limits.
Posted By: leland Re: maint electrician - 03/12/08 02:46 AM
Guy, RENO Nailed it. Except for the complete sentence part, My spelling stinks and I try my best (not reely).

All true: in an environment such as research,manufactureing etc.. Be very carefull and DEMAND!!!!! the propper training.
or refuse the assignment.

I'm in a research area we have many biological,radiation hazards as well as chemical, with the production and research of the "micro-electronics", TONS of acids used for this stuff (always look ahead, NOT UP).

Always ask. If no answer. Then no work.

Nothing the employer can do. We have laws to protect you. Not to give any excuses for not doing your job.
Just info so you know YOUR RIGHTS! You do have them.
Posted By: sbi Re: maint electrician - 03/12/08 06:50 AM
well, they don't provide anything. they don't even have a megger( found this out the hard way to day) every body that works in this department has a rool a way but they are not company provided or supplied we don't even have a tool allowance.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: maint electrician - 03/12/08 02:41 PM
I understand this is getting to be an employers market and in some places jobs are hard to find but you have to understand paying for your own tools at work is really a salary reduction. Since you are being paid on a W2 deducting them from your taxes is not really that effective either since there is a percentage you have to eat on a 2106. You end up paying for tools twice, once to the tool store and again to the tax man.
Posted By: JValdes Re: maint electrician - 03/12/08 04:01 PM
Would you mind telling us what type industry you are working in. For example if you said "textile" I would understand your circumstance better. I have spent the majority of my career in plant engineering and maintenance. There is a world of difference depending on what your company is manufacturing and the mind set of the suits.
The previous poster was correct about the safety aspecs of your job. They rush rush for production, then when you get hurt it's your fault and a drug test will promptly follow. However, if they treat you fairly and provide the basic benefits, you may end up with a pretty good job.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: maint electrician - 03/13/08 01:00 AM
OK, SBI ... that enlightens us quite a bit. Probably the best thing to do is to drop by the chat some evening, for some more specific advice.

In the meantime .... A small roll-around certainly has it's place. One of the mid-grade Sears Craftsman models, with a molded plastic top and particle board insert should do just fine.
Keep an eye on the size, for two reasons. First, a large one might not fit where it needs to go; second, don't take anything to work that you can't take home on a moments' notice.

Lack of a megger suggest a bottom shelf operation. You're probably going to be working more with parts changers than real problem solvers. You beat them with education.
Contact your community college, and get a few courses under your belt. I'd start with troubleshooting, followed by a controls course. These will help you understand the processes at work.

Get familiar with Harbor Freight, and other such 'cheap import' places. It's not about price here; they're your easiest source for a lot of 'industrial' tools .... pullers, pneumatic ratchets, etc. I expect you'll need them.

Keep an ear open for places where your co-workers have been employed .... and check those places out. Don't let horror stories put you off - check the places out first hand. It's likely some of your co-workers are on their way 'down,' rather than 'up.' Plan on moving to a better job after you have a course or two under your belt ... but be ready for the layoff the first slow-down or management change that comes around.

If the company doesn't actively encourage education, keep your mouth shut. Telling folks you're taking classes will create problems ... trust me on this! If you just happen to find a problem faster - well, the reason why will be our little secret.
Posted By: sbi Re: maint electrician - 03/13/08 05:36 PM
ok, thanks guys. i can't really say were i work but i can say that we are more of a machine shop type place. we slit and roll metal. I will also try to drop by the chat room on the weekends since i am on second shift. oh and by the way we are iso certified
Posted By: Airborne-Ed Re: maint electrician - 03/13/08 09:40 PM
Sbi, good luck first of all. I started in the trade many years ago as a apprentice industrial maint electrician in a manufacturing plant.I think that was the best way at least for me.Every 1000 hrs. you would receive so much money for a tool allowance. a great place to work and learn till they closed down.
© ECN Electrical Forums