ECN Forum
Posted By: bwise121 Does Tile Heater need to be on GFI - 02/28/08 11:48 PM
A general contractor is planning on putting floor tile heating pads under a tiled seat that will be inside a shower area. I have asked him for the details on the mfg for the heater but haven't got it yet.
From memory, the heating systems with digital thermostats explicitly says in the manual that is must not be on a GFI. Further more, If the pads were in a shower area wouldn't they need to be GFI protected?

Your thoughts please?

Byron
Posted By: BPHgravity Re: Does Tile Heater need to be on GFI - 02/29/08 12:06 AM
Does 424.44(G) apply?
Posted By: bwise121 Re: Does Tile Heater need to be on GFI - 02/29/08 12:14 AM
Thanks for the reply. I just remembered on a previous job the thermostat had a built in GFCI and the manual said not to be redundant by putting it on a GFCI cirucit.

Sorry for my confusion.

Byron
Posted By: BPHgravity Re: Does Tile Heater need to be on GFI - 02/29/08 12:26 AM
No need to be sorry, it is a good question...
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Does Tile Heater need to be on GFI - 02/29/08 01:28 AM
From the manufacturer's info I've seen on two such products, they are most adamant that the product be GFI protected - even away from the shower.

There are also numerous megger tests made at different points during the installation.

So ... checking the manufacturer's instructions would be the place to start. They might even advise against use in the shower at all.

These are generally custom products, ordered for specific jobs. Yet, I'm beginning to see the topic pop up on DIY forums, as folks try to modify, adapt, and hillbilly-engineer the things. I say: DON'T do it.
Posted By: Sandro Re: Does Tile Heater need to be on GFI - 03/01/08 12:44 AM
As stated in an earlier post, many heated floor systems we use (currently NuHeat is our favourite brand) come with a built in GFCI on the wall thermostat control.

True NuHeat has a custom and standard size mats. But they also just introduced the wire-on-the-spool heating cable for shower applications and d-i-y'ers on a budget.

© ECN Electrical Forums