ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Receptacle in drop ceiling? - 02/06/08 02:25 AM
I'm looking for the best method to install receptacles in the middle of a drop ceiling tile.
Caddy & B-Line have brackets to support 4" boxes, but if I install a tile-ring and receptacle, I think the force from inserting the plug will push the whole thing (t-grid and all) upward, resulting in a sloppy installation.

What do you all do?

Thanks
Posted By: WESTUPLACE Re: Receptacle in drop ceiling? - 02/06/08 02:42 AM
Go to HD or Lowes, get a 24 X 8 Laminated shelf. mount box in shelf, cut 8" off tile, install a cross tee. a few screws thru the frame holds it all in place.
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: Receptacle in drop ceiling? - 02/06/08 03:58 AM
Use a self taping screw throught the bracket to the grid. I don't know if it will work with the Caddy 512, as they may be hardened.

Ob
Posted By: Roger Re: Receptacle in drop ceiling? - 02/06/08 10:49 AM
I usually use 7/8" strut to mount the box on and secured the strut to the structure with 1/4" threaded rod.

Roger
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Receptacle in drop ceiling? - 02/06/08 01:07 PM
Redsy:
I have used the Caddy with 1/4 rod to prevent upward movement when plugging in.

Ceiling grid is getting flimsier by the week.

Posted By: Gregtaylor Re: Receptacle in drop ceiling? - 02/06/08 03:47 PM
I cut a piece of 3/8 plywood to the size of the ceiling tile. I put it right on top of the ceiling tile and use a 1" plaster ring on a 4" box supported by a Caddy 512. The plywood lends weight and stiffness to the whole thing. Keep in mind that ceiling plugs usually get 1 item plugged in and it stays there. They are rarely used as true convenience receps.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Receptacle in drop ceiling? - 02/08/08 03:14 AM
Thanks for all your ideas guys!
I wondered if the grid was heavy enough to prevent upward movement.
I appreciate your input.
© ECN Electrical Forums