ECN Forum
Posted By: rj Botl in or stab in? - 01/16/08 10:20 PM
I am in need of some information about bolt in breakers compared to stabe ins. I know that you are suppost to have a better connection with a bolt in, but what about maintenace in the long run. Myself I would rahter work and maintain the stabe in. Any others with that feeling or that bolt in is the best way to go?
Thanks for any input on this.
Posted By: wire_twister Re: Botl in or stab in? - 01/16/08 10:27 PM
I like the bolt in for areas with high load or vibration. I worked in manufacturing plants for about 16 years, most of the equipment was either Westinghouse or Square D bolt in type, all of it gave vary little trouble. As far as maint. goes we would shut down the panels once every other year and check the screws for tightness, I do not remember ever tightning one more than about 1/16 of a turn, of course all this was wired with copper wire, as it should be in an industrial setting.
Posted By: leland Re: Botl in or stab in? - 01/17/08 01:58 AM
Industrial: bolt in every time. reliability.

Resi: stab ins are fine, very low demand.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Botl in or stab in? - 01/17/08 11:59 AM
Anywhere with potentially high fault current requires bolt-on, because the electromagnetic forces in a full-blown short-circuit fault can be enough to tear cables right out of set screws, and breakers right off the panel.

If you're just fed from a small transformer (ala residential size) or otherwise have low availible fault current, then it's less of an issue.
Posted By: electure Re: Botl in or stab in? - 01/17/08 02:12 PM
I agree with the rest of the guys that in most cases I prefer a bolted connection.

That said:
The Square D "I-Line" breaker, their premium offering, is a plug in.

[Linked Image]

The lowly ITE-Bulldog Pushmatic is a bolt on breaker.

[Linked Image]

laugh

© ECN Electrical Forums