ECN Forum
Posted By: KJay Buchanan splice caps - 12/23/07 01:15 AM
Anyone use the little copper Buchanan 2006S and 2011S splice caps for making up grounding wire connections in receptacle and switch boxes?
These are very popular here in my area, but I don’t see too many guys using the correct tool to install them.
Buchanan lists their C24 4-way indenter crimp tool as the only tool available to make a proper connection. Using the C24 definitely makes a much more positive and durable crimp.

Just wondering if any inspectors have ever failed a job for improper installation of these sleeves, because of not using the correct crimp tool?

TKX
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Buchanan splice caps - 12/23/07 02:01 AM
If that is what I am thinking of I have seen them crimped with that crimper on your Kleins and yes I failed them if I could pull a wire out (usually). I do have an old Amp 4 pin crimper that does a great job on the next smaller version of this sleeve. It is easy to see the difference when you look at the crimp they provide.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Buchanan splice caps - 12/23/07 04:12 PM
I use them all the time. Leaving multiple tails on multi-gang applications make for a simpler installation.
From what I remenber the paperwork with the Ideal brand lists a standard single dimpling tool, like the indenter on your Kleins, as an acceptable crimp method.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Buchanan splice caps - 12/23/07 04:38 PM
Maybe I just ran into wimpy electricians but usually there was at least one loose wire in a sleeve with one dimple in it. I have really only seen it a few times. Usually folks just used a wirenut. That may be a local preference.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Buchanan splice caps - 12/23/07 04:49 PM
I tightly twist about 2-3" of the grounds first.
It would be difficult to pull one out even without the crimp sleeve installed.
The down side is trying to remove the sleeve if needed.
Posted By: KJay Re: Buchanan splice caps - 12/23/07 04:55 PM
Redsy,
The Ideal crimp sleeves are “similar but different” from Buchanan’s.
The Ideal are like the T&B Holub sleeves, which are made of coated steel. They can also be crimped with a number of different crimp tools according their manufactures.
Buchanan’s on the other hand are all copper crimp sleeves, and even though I think they are part of Ideal Industries now, Buchanan’s instructions still only lists one tool as suitable for installing these copper sleeves, that being their C24 4-pin indenter crimp tool. You can also use the C24 on those other brands of crimp sleeves though.
I use all three brands, but prefer the copper Buchanan’s because they don’t get rusty over time like the coated steel type can when used in something like an outdoor fixture box.

Posted By: NORCAL Re: Buchanan splice caps - 12/23/07 05:22 PM
Ideal owns the Buchanan brand.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Buchanan splice caps - 12/23/07 05:37 PM
The only time I ever found inspectors requiring Buchannon 4 point crimps was when working down in the area that Gfretwell is located in, specifically the next town down the road from Estero, ... Naples Fla. Them guys always checked for stuff like that. I like it when inspectors do a through inspection.
Posted By: WNYJim Re: Buchanan splice caps - 12/23/07 11:16 PM
I use these all the time for the grounds and permanent conections.
My 4 point Buchannon crimp tool is over 35 years old and still works like new (it gets oiled occasionally).
As with all connections, twist them first and I have never had one fail.
They are very easy to remove, just use the lineman's pliers from the side and flatten it down, then do the same 90 degrees from the first. Repeat this about three times and it will split right open.
Posted By: leland Re: Buchanan splice caps - 12/24/07 01:31 AM
Never use them. The "greenies" have never failed.

WNYJIM: Do you guys use insulated staples yet?

My brother out there, gave him a stock list... Said they were "special order". Shook my head and asked him to get staples. (8 yrs ago).
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Buchanan splice caps - 12/24/07 04:53 PM
I only use crimp sleeves for grounding. Two sizes.
I use Ideal mainly due to what is available. I haven't seen Buchanan crimps around here in a while.

As was stated, Ideal (and others) list a typical lineman's pliers WITH the built-in crimper as an approved tool.

I do have a like-new Buchanan 4-way crimper but hardly ever use it.
No, I don't want to sell it. wink
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Buchanan splice caps - 12/24/07 04:55 PM
Actually I do know Buchanan DOES list a lineman's as an approved tool.
Here is a scan of two boxes' instructions:
[Linked Image from i114.photobucket.com]
Posted By: togol Re: Buchanan splice caps - 12/24/07 07:50 PM
Speedy, Ideal bought Buchanan, the barrels from Buchanan are still copper, the ones from Ideal are something else. but you already knew that.:)
Posted By: KJay Re: Buchanan splice caps - 12/24/07 08:12 PM
Well, that is good news. Ideal must have made some changes for the Buchanan's some time ago.
I guess now, after all these years, I can finally retire both pair of my C24 crimpers and join the plier squeezers without guilt. smile
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Buchanan splice caps - 12/24/07 09:15 PM
I can assure you. With the steel crimps especially, using a lineman's (with the crimper) makes JUST as good of a crimp as a 4-way.

Make one properly and try to remove it. You'll see what I mean.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Buchanan splice caps - 12/25/07 06:22 PM
I see the problem. The guy I busted had not twisted the wires. This was a "Park Ranger" job so I am not sure who the "electrician" was. They put wirenuts on all the splices before I left and all was well with the world. They did just squeeze the crimped splice on the long side and they fell off.
© ECN Electrical Forums