ECN Forum
Posted By: BigB Smurf - 10/22/07 01:36 AM
I have rarely used Smurf, or ENT. I have a job coming up where it would really come in handy to get a couple of dozen circuits thru a very low attic crawlspace. Looks like I can fit up to 13 #12 AWG THHN's in a 3/4". This would mean 3 runs, 8 circuits apiece (using shared neutrals & 1 grounding conductor). After de rating I would still be good for 21 amps. Question is, anyone here ever put 13 (stranded)
12's in a 3/4" Smurf? The runs will be straight and about 75 feet.

Thanks.........B
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Smurf - 10/22/07 04:56 AM
I don't think I have ever tried that many but I have done quite a few. Here in the land of 3:12 attics with a foot of "blow in", smurf is pretty handy stuff. The Carlon guy gave us a pitch on Smurf a while ago and he says you have your best luck if you strap it down straight and tight and strap all curves to hold the shape (not "belly"). Then you tape a "bullet" on the end and push the wires through.
Posted By: gibbonsseabee80 Re: Smurf - 10/22/07 12:50 PM
BigB,
To be honest, I do not like smurf tubing. We had around 200 feet of 1/2" laying around in the shop. It was never outside, just old from sitting in the shop. It would crack and was very brittle. When you would swing it lightly, it would crack in half. Otherwise, I think you are fine as long as you apply the derating factor in there.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Smurf - 10/22/07 04:57 PM
I am surprised at that. Maybe it is a "cold" thing. I have a piece of 3/4" sleeving the steering cable on my boat and it has been in the sun and salt water for 10 years. I have it on the trailer now and it still seems to be doing OK
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Smurf - 10/22/07 08:25 PM
BigB - You may want to double checck you wire fill calcs. Your neutrals wires count too.
Posted By: SP4RX Re: Smurf - 10/23/07 12:35 AM
He calculated fine, assuming that this is a three-phase installation. That would allow one neutral for up to three circuits. Thus for 8 ccts. : 3 ungrounded conductors
1 neutral
3 more ungrounded conductors
1 more neutral
2 final ungrounded conductors
1 final neutral
1 bonding conductor
---------------------
12 total conductors in conduit

The math seems good to me.

Shawn.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Smurf - 10/23/07 12:58 AM
Even single phase comes up with 13 (2 hots and a neutral times 4 plus EGC) and that is the max in table 9 for #12 THHN in 3/4 ENT.
If this is really a straight shot and the ENT is pulled tight enough not to belly it should go in OK.
Posted By: leland Re: Smurf - 10/23/07 01:36 AM
How much lube you got? and how many guys to pull?

Wink,Wink, smile

I actualy got that answer once as a helper.
I didn't like the thought, so I bought a code book.

And I have never cheated !! (Wink,Wink :))
Posted By: plcnewbie Re: Smurf - 10/23/07 02:31 AM
Why not use MC home run cable
Stocking Sizes Color Codes:
Conductors 120 Volt Colors
6c black, black/silver, red, red/silver, white, white/silver
8c black, black/silver, red, red/silver, blue, blue/silver, white, white/silver
12c 3 black, 3 red, 3 blue, 3 white; each color numbered 1-3
16c 4 black, 4 red, 4 blue, 4 white; each color numbered 1-4

www.alliedtube.com/electrical-raceways/cable-systems/home-run-cable.asp
Posted By: BigB Re: Smurf - 10/23/07 02:43 AM
Yes it is single phase, 2 hots to a neutral, one grounding conductor, comes to 13 conductors, 8 of them counted as current carrying.

Ran 4 runs today by myself, took me 6 hours (told you it was tight up there). Got them nice and straight, no "bellys". came out to 60 feet each.

My helper and I will pull in the conductors tomorrow then I'll report back.

Brian Gibbons, thst stuff must have been REALLY old or defective. The stuff I got is tough as can be. I have a roll of 1/2 inch thats 5 years old, still tough. I wouldn't be afraid to use it for a tow rope!
Posted By: BigB Re: Smurf - 10/23/07 02:51 AM
Originally Posted by plcnewbie
Why not use MC home run cable
Stocking Sizes Color Codes:
Conductors 120 Volt Colors
6c black, black/silver, red, red/silver, white, white/silver
8c black, black/silver, red, red/silver, blue, blue/silver, white, white/silver
12c 3 black, 3 red, 3 blue, 3 white; each color numbered 1-3
16c 4 black, 4 red, 4 blue, 4 white; each color numbered 1-4

www.alliedtube.com/electrical-raceways/cable-systems/home-run-cable.asp

Looks like pretty nice stuff. I'll have to see if anyone carries it here in the Old Pueblo.
Posted By: BigB Re: Smurf - 10/24/07 01:54 AM
Pulled em all today, no lube, 1 helper, super easy. Made my life easier.
Posted By: SP4RX Re: Smurf - 10/24/07 02:17 AM
So you filled the conduit to maximum capacity and didn't even use lube? You're a brave one.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Smurf - 10/24/07 06:07 AM
Smurf is really a pretty easy pull if it is strapped tight and you don't have a sharp edge on the conductor stack.
It is slick inside and the corrigation means you have about half the surface area to create drag.
I know it is seen as an inferior wiring method and it is certainly not as tough as EMT but it may be as good as FMC or Carflex. I even think the UV protection is better than advertised/evaluated.
If someone is really interested I could probably pull out the piece that is on my boat and send them a sample to look at. This is Florida sun, 10 years with a south exposure and salt water.
The original connectors (split deal that snapped around the ENT) were certainly junk and that may be part of the bad rap. The same is true of the old RNC straps and conduit body covers. I had a Carlon guy tell me the listing standard did not require them to be U/V protected ... and they weren't.
Posted By: Luketrician Re: Smurf - 10/30/07 06:13 AM
I've ran miles of the stuff. Great for running a bunch of homeruns before they poor the slab.

Also, have used it as a grommet/raceway for getting romex around metal stud wall corners. wink
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Smurf - 10/31/07 01:33 AM
I wish I had a pic of all the A/C condensing units fed w/ smurf at a apt. complex in Houston (between disco & unit).:(
© ECN Electrical Forums