ECN Forum
Posted By: go_blue Getting my liscense - 09/23/07 06:57 PM
Im new a new member to the ecn but i have enjoyed reading posts.
I lack about 8 months work to get my four year apprenticiship. I was working in the city when the inspector came by. He informed me that there had to be a licensed electrician or a journeyman for every helper. A one to one ratio. He said I could probably take the test to become one. Reading posts here, apparently there is more to it than taking a test. Our company consists of my dad, me and a helper. My dad is retiring at the end of next year so I need my liscense. I am not in an "apprentice program", just working for a liscensed electrician, so will my 8000 hours be enough to get me to the test. I am working in NC.

Your input is appreciated

Posted By: renosteinke Re: Getting my liscense - 09/23/07 07:37 PM
Just as you would with a code issue ... you need to go to the source.

Who issues the Journeyman card? Who issues the Contractors' license? You need to go to those folks, and find out exactly what their requirements are.
Posted By: dilydalyer Re: Getting my liscense - 09/23/07 08:44 PM
Yeah...I've been doing elec work for about 15 or so years so I had all the time in I could have needed,but when I went to get qualification info,I was surprised to learn that they had lessoned their amount of yrs needed to take masters test.I hope this helps
Posted By: go_blue Re: Getting my liscense - 09/24/07 02:06 AM
I've heard the terms used, master and journeyman, but what, generally speaking are their meanings as far as experience, qualifications and liscensure. I'm trying to understand the terminology as to levels of heirarchy.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Getting my liscense - 09/24/07 11:16 AM
GoBlue:
As Reno said, you have to go to the source. You have to get all the info from the state that you are in (NC), as the requirements vary from state to state.

Here in NJ, documented work experience is required to apply to take the test. An Electrical Contractor License is required to perform electrical work for hire. Employees of a Lic EC are not required to hold a Lic. The term 'Journeyman' refers to 'an experienced mechanic' as opposed to an apprentice/helper. Other states have different requirements. Neighboring Pennsylvania has no state wide license; Delaware does, and recognizes NJ Lic.

BTW, welcome to ECN
Posted By: go_blue Re: Getting my liscense - 09/25/07 01:42 AM
Thanks guys:
I "went to the source" and I need to take a 6 week course and pass the journeyman exam. I'm looking forward to the classes, there's a few things I don't quite understand. Nuetrals and grounds separated everywhere but all happy connected together in the panel.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I enjoy the ecn and am looking forward to a long career as an electrician as soon as I can get there.
Posted By: electure Re: Getting my liscense - 09/25/07 02:52 AM
Nuetrals and grounds separated everywhere but all happy connected together in the panel.

Only if that panel is the service equipment !!
Good luck wink
© ECN Electrical Forums