ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Tamper-proofing screws - 09/17/07 11:37 AM
My Aiwa stereo threw a wobbly last week and with it being 7 years out of warranty, I decided to have a go at repairing it myself.
That was until I turned it around on my workbench to find some very strange looking screws holding the rear cover on.
I've got a very large collection of screwdrivers and bits for tamper-proof screws, but this was a new one on me.
It seems that every time I need to loosen a tamper-proof screw, I end up buying a new bit or screwdriver.
Unfortunately, these screws in the back of the stereo were the sort that only screw in, you can't get them out again, there is no "reverse" part to the screw slot.
Anyway, Mr Dremel won that argument and I found a dry joint where the power transformer secondary feeds into the main board, it just struck me as strange that it took 8 years to fail.
Anyhow, has anyone else ever had a similar experience with these annoying screws?.
Posted By: livetoride Re: Tamper-proofing screws - 09/17/07 03:34 PM
I use the same tool as you, "Mr Dremal" is my friend. They do make a tool that is the negetive of the screw head for removing them but like you I have too many bits all ready. Rod
Posted By: BigB Re: Tamper-proofing screws - 09/17/07 10:40 PM
One trick I heard of that the guys in the joint use, you take a toothbrush handle, heat it up till it's soft, then press it into the tamper proof screw head. Let it cool and now you have the tool to remove the screw.
Posted By: GA76JW Re: Tamper-proofing screws - 09/17/07 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by BigB
One trick I heard of that the guys in the joint use, you take a toothbrush handle, heat it up till it's soft, then press it into the tamper proof screw head. Let it cool and now you have the tool to remove the screw.

Well you learn something new everyday..........huh....
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: Tamper-proofing screws - 09/17/07 11:14 PM
Mike,
I bought one of these a few years ago to take care of most.

http://www.electronix.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/435_63/products_id/9288

I'm wondering if the on you dealt with takes this tool.

http://www.electronix.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1_25/products_id/8709
Joe
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Tamper-proofing screws - 09/17/07 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by BigB
you take a toothbrush handle, heat it up till it's soft, then press it into the tamper proof screw head.

Thanks a lot for the tip, BigB!, I'll keep that in mind. wink

Joe,
Yeah, I've got a few of them sets, each having a different selection of bits.
One bit I really find annoying is the smallest "snake-eyes" screw bit, if you happen to turn the driver with too much force trying to initially get the screw to loosen, you can kiss that bit goodbye, I've snapped more of them bits than any other.
Our local automated toilet cubicles down town used them screws prolifically, all though it never stopped all the vandalism that used to occur on the weekends.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Tamper-proofing screws - 09/18/07 12:32 AM
Tamper proof????? Tamper resistant is much more accurate IMO.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Tamper-proofing screws - 09/18/07 01:57 AM
Some of us take tamper-resistant fasteners as a challenge of sorts. Kind of like those "no user-serviceable parts inside" labels...:)
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Tamper-proofing screws - 09/18/07 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by NJwirenut
Some of us take tamper-resistant fasteners as a challenge of sorts. Kind of like those "no user-serviceable parts inside" labels...:)

LMAO.:D
Posted By: TOOL_5150 Re: Tamper-proofing screws - 09/18/07 11:22 PM
Yeah, but we do not have to worry about those labels, because we are electricians, not users - Right??

~Matt
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: Tamper-proofing screws - 09/18/07 11:46 PM
So I guess the melted toothbrush effectively does a cavity search of the surface of the fastener. How apropos for the big house.
Joe
© ECN Electrical Forums