ECN Forum
Posted By: Imaginator Little Help here.... - 11/04/02 05:47 PM
I've been doing networking/telecomm instalations for the last 3-4 years as a part of my job. I enjoy doing the work, and have been looking into starting a business to do this on the side. Problem is, I'm getting mixed answers on whether I need a license to do so or not.

I've contacted the local electrical board here and they state that I'd need a low voltage license to do so. My understanding was that you only needed an electrical license to provide wiring that was put in for the express purpose of supplying power to a device.

Unfortunately, my state doesn't seem to have anything online regarding the licenses, so It's not easy to look up. I know that alot of other states regard it indifferently.

Anyone able to help or point me somewhere that can?
Posted By: spyder Re: Little Help here.... - 11/04/02 05:51 PM
I would get the LV license whether you are required to get one or not. It can't hurt and it improves your credentials.
Posted By: Imaginator Re: Little Help here.... - 11/04/02 06:24 PM
Well unfortunately, I don't think I can meet the requirements for applying for one. As it was explained to me so far, I'd require 3 years working under a master electrician. As it stands, my 4 years of experience in cabling has not been under a master electrician. Now, I'm not sure that's the only way about it, I may be able to take certified classes and such, but seeing as this would be my second job for a while, I can't easily just go out and work for an electrician for 3 years.
Posted By: spyder Re: Little Help here.... - 11/06/02 01:33 PM
Was your experience under a journeyman electrician? If it was, I do not see how that time could not count.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Little Help here.... - 11/06/02 04:07 PM
Look here for the information you need.

http://www.dllr.state.md.us/license/master_elec/master_elecintro.html
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Little Help here.... - 11/07/02 12:04 AM
If I'm not mistaken, in WV, time under a master is the only time that counts, too.

Tom, that sound right?
© ECN Electrical Forums