ECN Forum
Posted By: gfretwell How do you do it? - 08/24/07 02:09 AM
I just did a panel swap at my house and my hands look like I stuck them in a disposal. I must have 50 little cuts and dings. Don't they buff the sharp edge off of anything these days?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: How do you do it? - 08/24/07 02:58 AM
No, they don't. The edges are even worse. Like paper cuts, but you don't realize that you got them until later when the machine oil gets to them and you have deep red slits from your elbows to your fingertips.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: How do you do it? - 08/24/07 03:12 AM
Kevlar gloves would be a good idea.
Posted By: iwire Re: How do you do it? - 08/24/07 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I just did a panel swap

Step one immediately after mounting panel tub, take electrical tape and cover the sharp edges on the inside lip of both sides of the enclosure. The back of your hands will thank you for it.

BTW....where your linemens squeaky? laugh

Posted By: ghost307 Re: How do you do it? - 08/24/07 12:36 PM
Didn't I see an earlier post somewhere here claiming that TSA wouldn't let you take a Lithonia fixture housing on the plane since the edges are considered a lethal weapon??
Posted By: gibbonsseabee80 Re: How do you do it? - 08/24/07 12:52 PM
My hands always look destroyed from the sharp edges of everything. Halo recessd fixtures, panelboards, grabbing handfuls of staples, etc., rips up my hands like paper cuts. It really hurts if you get a small amount of PVC glue or cleaner on those cuts.
Posted By: iwire Re: How do you do it? - 08/24/07 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by gibbonsseabee80
It really hurts if you get a small amount of PVC glue or cleaner on those cuts.

That is when you find cuts you did not even know you had. shocked
Posted By: A-Line Re: How do you do it? - 08/24/07 02:56 PM
Just put this stuff all over your hands. You'll feel much better.
http://newskinproducts.com/liquid-bandage.htm
Posted By: JValdes Re: How do you do it? - 08/28/07 04:42 PM
When I was new in this business I always had cuts on my hands. I thought it just came with the job.
But, after suffering with this issue, I decided I would work more carefully and pay attention to what I was doing all the time.
Of course from time to time I would get cut.
It's kinda like learning to stay clean even if you worked on a sewer pump.
Posted By: ITO Re: How do you do it? - 08/28/07 05:43 PM
I don’t work in the field anymore but every now and then I have to get out and do something just to get out of the office. Sometimes I sort material in the mornings just because I like it too. When I do either these work great: http://garage.mechanix.com/

My men make fun o me but I am pretty sure some of them use them too. They feel really good and you don’t lose any dexterity.
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: How do you do it? - 08/29/07 12:50 AM
I got some CLC (Custom Leathercraft) gloves at Home Depot that are quite comfortable, give good dexterity, and protect my hands well. They are rather a marvel of engineering, with sections of elastic, leather, and other sorts of materials to help them fit your hand like a glove. wink
Posted By: Zapped Re: How do you do it? - 08/29/07 06:07 PM
I have the habbit of always wearing gloves for just about everything. Keeps my hands baby soft, and a big plus is that my girlfriend appreciates it too.
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: How do you do it? - 09/02/07 02:52 AM
Yeah, my hands get pretty worked, too. I carry a file around with me for lots of stuff. I am amazed at just how much a little fileing will do to pretty much all sharp edges(or dull ones for that matter). Gloves too, I live with them on.
Posted By: harold endean Re: How do you do it? - 09/02/07 03:08 PM
Not for nothing, but I complained to UL about this. I asked them how they could list the product with such sharp edges. Of course I got the usual run around, like, "Well, we didn't know that it was so sharp. We will try to do better next time." Or something like that.
On another note to UL, I complained to them about pool heaters. They all use to come through with AL lugs mounted on them. I called UL and asked them how they could list that? I asked them where they saw AL as being suitable for bonding purposes any where in the NEC. Guess what, I am seeing CU lugs on the units. I don't know if UL had anything to do with it, or if the EC's are changing them.
© ECN Electrical Forums