ECN Forum
Posted By: AZSam CFL's - 08/04/07 09:41 AM
Has anyone counted the number of incandescents in their home or office? Yesterday I completed the transition from incandescent to fluorescent. It was unbelievable as to the numbers. I installed the following CFL's: 48-60W, 40-100W, 6-60W dimmable, 8-100W dimmable, 9-60W bug. These are in addition to 16-2L 40W fixtures in basement and garage. It may just be my imagination but the AC doesn't seem to run as much in the evening.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: CFL's - 08/04/07 03:26 PM
I am in the transition myself. I am just doing it by attrition. When a lamp goes it gets replaced by a CFL. I figure with the life of lamps the ones that really get used will all be gone in a few months.
We keep our house pretty dark so lighting is not a terribly big issue in the grand scheme of things. My work light in the kitchen has always been a flourecent. We also have reading lights by our chairs and by the bed but most of the lights are motion activated.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: CFL's - 08/04/07 05:19 PM
Sam, I don't doubt your story one bit!

I used to love the halogen 'torch' lamps I had in the living room ... until, one summer day. I noticed the heat that came off of it. With the day already hot - and getting hotter - I really didn't need the 249 watts of heat coming off, along with the 1 watt of light!

Posted By: gfretwell Re: CFL's - 08/04/07 06:49 PM
I try to take as much load off the A/C as possible. The dryer is in the detached garage and the water heater is outside in the pump house. That is a handy thing because it decided to spring a leak a couple days ago. It took the pressure off fixing it a bit since the excess water was just going out on the grass. I did get up to Home Depot the next day.
© ECN Electrical Forums