ECN Forum
Posted By: JValdes Outlets & CATV for Wall Mount - 07/31/07 05:20 PM
I am still holding out on buying a big screen TV. But I think once football season rolls around I may consider the purchase.
It seems/looks as if they are usually mounted directly to the wall. The ad's and pictures only show the TV on the wall. No wires, nothing.
My question: Do I need to install a box or boxes for the power, satelite, DVD/VCR and sound system ect.. in the middle of the wall, behind where the TV goes? It would be alot of work.
But I don't see any other way, unless the TV comes with some type of kit for this purpose.
Are the contractors on this forum seeing increased business in this regard? They sure seem to be selling these TV's at record pace.
Also, wife has the uncontrollable urge to move furniture around......LOL
Thanks John
Posted By: PE&Master Re: Outlets & CATV for Wall Mount - 07/31/07 10:24 PM
We put in plugs for flat screens every week. We have a major electronic retailer who recommends us.
They do install plugs and the coax behind the TV. Generally the TV's are on fold out/pivot arms for access behind them.
We also see a lot of small rooms behind or in the vicinity of the TV built especially for the electronic equipment.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Outlets & CATV for Wall Mount - 07/31/07 11:41 PM
You don't want to put the box in the center of the TV location, as the TV mounting plate is generally centered on a stud. Larger sets use a plate that spans across 2 studs.

I've put in a couple of outlets and CATV drops for these sets, and it goes a LOT smoother if the set is on-site when I arrive. Not only can I be sure of the locations of the power cord and signal connections, but I usually get the extra work of actually installing the mounting bracket and hanging the set. smile
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Outlets & CATV for Wall Mount - 08/01/07 01:30 AM
JV, it is the preferred method to install real boxes in the wall, and fish wires to the boxes.

Moving furniture around is a non-issue, as these sets require a fairly substantial mount on the wall.

Generally, I place the receptacles behind the set, down low (so you can easily reach them) and off to one side (so the set doesn't block access. Power on the left, cable on the right. The poser gets a real, all steel 'cut in" box, while it's ok to use a "ring" for the cable. I happen to like the Panduit plates.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Outlets & CATV for Wall Mount - 08/01/07 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by JValdes

Also, wife has the uncontrollable urge to move furniture around.

OK John,
One thing that you have to realise, once women are married, they will do this, things that were once in a place where you had them before are no longer there.
This is one of the reasons that my wife is banned from my garage. laugh
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Outlets & CATV for Wall Mount - 08/01/07 12:41 PM
Once again, Trumpy's hit the nail on the head.

Men look for "trophy wives" that are exactly what they want.
Women look for "project husbands" that can be made into something acceptable to them.

I usually answer the cries of "I want that moved over to the other corner" with "Go right ahead".
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Outlets & CATV for Wall Mount - 08/01/07 03:59 PM
When you are married to a builder she doesn't move the furniture, she moves the wall.
Posted By: JValdes Re: Outlets & CATV for Wall Mount - 08/01/07 08:53 PM
Thanks for the info. I have not seen one of these big TV's out of the box. But I was certain I would need to locate the boxes somewhere they are not visible. You guys verified it.
The ad's for these new TV's don't want you to know what is required for installation. Which is a good thing for electricians.
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: Outlets & CATV for Wall Mount - 08/01/07 11:26 PM
JV,
I like the Sanus mounting brackets: http://www.sanus.com/us/en/ I have installed the big ones and little ones and as Reno said, it's better to fish the wires to a real box. We usually rough the wires in behind the drywall and fish them out after we have marked the location on the TV and the bracket. In my area, most people use a cable box so I rough the coax to the cable box location and then run coax and/or HDMI cable to the TV.
Posted By: A-Line Re: Outlets & CATV for Wall Mount - 08/02/07 12:06 AM
http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?group=22&sec=group

http://datacommelectronics.com/product.php?ID=431

http://entratech.us/infoplate.html
Posted By: Zapped Re: Outlets & CATV for Wall Mount - 08/02/07 01:37 PM
Whoa, back up here.

If you want what you paid for, which is High Def, then you don't want to run the actual coax behind the TV mount. They do have a "smart card" that your Cable or Sat provider can install in your TV instead of using a HiDef converter box, but I've seen nothing but problems with those.

To get the HiDef I'm sure you want, run the co-ax to your tuner box that is located on a counter top or in a cabinet close to the TV. From there, run an HDMI cable (looks like a USB on steriods) from the box, through the wall, and emerging hidden behind the TV. I use ring boxes and I custom drill blank covers for this application. Use rubber grommets in the holes if using a stainless blank cover.

Power is hidden behind the TV, and any extra cable is zip-tied to the parts of the mounting bracket arm that will not pinch the cable during repositioning.

The result should be a floating TV with no hint of any cables or connections, and a HiDef picture that will blow your mind (as it should for the price).

Good Luck!
Posted By: dougwells Re: Outlets & CATV for Wall Mount - 08/02/07 04:57 PM
From there, run an HDMI cable (looks like a USB on steriods) from the box, through the wall, and emerging hidden behind the TV.

The only thing I see wrong with this is usually that cable is not listed for in wall use ???

Seems most of the installs I see use the component inputs as there is cable that is colored and rated for in wall use.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Outlets & CATV for Wall Mount - 08/02/07 07:30 PM
In the big entertainment rooms my wife built they put 2" smurf in the wall for the cables coming into 4x4 deep boxes
Posted By: Zapped Re: Outlets & CATV for Wall Mount - 08/06/07 02:39 PM
Thanks gfretwell, I failed to mention the smurf conduit.

The component cables will NOT give you HiDef, although they may be used if you don't want to get, or don't have, an actual HiDef converter box.

This is a very common mistake when people hook up their new HiDef TVs. The HDMI will give you HiDef, but neither the component, the SVIDEO or the coax can. Get what you paid for and pop for the HDMI. You won't be sorry.
© ECN Electrical Forums