ECN Forum
Posted By: mxslick On the lighter side..I got my dirt bike!! - 07/12/07 06:06 AM
Hey gang! After a 13 year (!) layoff from one of my all-time favorite activities, I am finally going to get back into motocross!!

Yesterday evening I picked up a pretty clean 2000 Yamaha YZ250 from a private party here in So. Cali.

It'll need a bit of TLC and some minor repairs but overall it's in great shape mechanically and cosmetically. And the price was right. smile

I raced for three years or so back in late 1989, stopping when I moved to Northern Cal in 1993. A late bloomer, I started when I was 28.

Now pushing 45, it should be interesting. It is a great cardio workout, and it'll force me to start eating better, quit drinking soda, and maybe even get my behind back to the gym. smile

I'll update a pic in the "What do you look like" thread later so you can see my new toy. smile

In the meantime, anyone else out there ride? smile

Posted By: Gloria Re: On the lighter side..I got my dirt bike!! - 07/12/07 08:05 AM
Hi, I recommend bycicle. Silent, doesn't erode the ground, and enviromentally friendly. And also needs muscles.
I ride street bikes. Used to ride in the dirt but a bad back stopped that. Never got good a motocross. Have fun with the new toy. Rod
Hi, I recommend bycicle.

Yep, got one of those too..and mountain biking (or cycling in general) is a good cross-training method. smile And it makes your legs look fabulous.

I found out the hard way that motocross takes muscles too..a lot more so than I had thought and most people suspect. smile I guarantee I'll spend the next few weeks tending to sore muscles that I haven't used in years.

I ride in closed-course competition and designated practice and riding areas, I'm too chicken to do the desert races.. smile

In buying this bike, I did have a choice between street and mx....but mx racing's safer than the California roads any day. smile

And since my nickname's mxslick, well.....
Rod: Thanks for the comment. I hope to be able to have a long time of fun (man that was really bad grammar) and as long as I can restrain myself to not try too much, too soon, it'll all be good. My father used to tell me during my break away from racing, that when I got back into it I should do well, since I would be hungry to win again.

Sorry to hear your about your back...what street bikes do you ride? smile

Actually, I wasn't very good at mx either, but I did have fun and the other riders found me highly entertaining. smile
Bumping this up and offering a major update:

A lot has happened since I had last posted here. smile

On August 11, 2007, I did my first ride on the bike. I did ok considering that I hadn't ridden for so many years, and I did have a lot of fun. It was also quite an emotional time for me as well, as I was looking forward to racing again and winning one for my dad who passed in Oct. 1999. He loved watching me race back in the '90s.

Well, the day after that ride my left calf was hurting pretty badly. I had thought it was just a strain or muscle pull from not stretching properly. It would hurt a lot, then settle down, then hurt more at random.

On August 18th I was working in my garage when I felt a weird sensation, twice, in the center of my chest. I paused and checked my pulse, it was normal, I wasn't sweating and had no pain. Very odd.

On the 22nd I was at work when my left calf suddenly felt like someone had stuck a knife in it, savage intense pain. I was tired that day, hadn't eaten lunch, and was stressed about work. So I went home early to grab some food and relax. When I got into my apt. my cat greeted me at the door, then rubbed my left leg, then folded his ears back and started growling. He followed me around growling the whole time.

I called my neighbor, who is a nurse, and told her what was up. She took me to the ER where it was discovered that I had a severe clot in my left leg (DVT) which had broken off and went thru my heart (twice) (the weird sensation I felt on the 18th) and landed in both my lungs. (Double PE)

The doc said over 95% of people that happens to don't survive. They had me in for three days, then I had two wweks of twice-daily shots and then took blood thinner meds since then.

I was just released from the blood thinners a few days ago, so we'll see how it goes.

In the meantime, much to my doctor's chagrin, I had continued to ride (only four rides since my incident though, work and money conspired to slow my plans.)

Well, I continue to ride when I can, and hope to get more ride time so I can hopefully race this coming winter (only a year later than I'd planned, but hey I'd already waited 14+ years).

The pic in the avatar is me and the bike on my second or third ride a while back.

Meantime, I'm glad to still be around and had to resume my visits here on ECN!!
I rode many thousands of miles on the street and never went down. My short dirt biking career got me hurt bad a couple times. You be careful out there.
I ride my street bike evry chance I get.Been out quite few times this winter. Never did dirt.
Be safe, ride smart and keep the rubber side down.
After an accident ended my 35yr electrical career I took up motorcycle training. Dirt riding is out for me but I ride on the street more than I drive. You were lucky with that clot be more careful and see the Dr. next time. Ride safe Rod
Mxslick...

My son and I MX race all the time. He races and I'm the mechanic. We leave for Budds Creek 8am tomorrow morning. This will be his 5th year racing. Currently he races a Cobra King 50cc, KTM 65sx, and we have a RM85 lined up for this season. We have done the KJSC in Las Vegas 2007, Just went to the US Open in Las Vegas 2008 and we are going to make a run at LL this year.Thats why we are going to Budds Creek this weekend...for track time because the regional is there in June. He broke his arm at the regional last May at Pleasure Valley...bummer.

I picked up a mint showroom condition 1982 Maico 250 a couple of years back and raced it last year 2 times. It was wicked awesome. Thats it though. I need to be in one piece to work.

My son and I love Motocross. We have so many good memories from the last four years. We went to every east amateur Arenacross event last year... New York, Kentucky, North Carolina, Virginia, and Baltimore. We have met so many good people from the sport...

shortcircuit

Greg, Luck and Rod:

Thanks guys. Yeah I try to be careful when I am out there, as I'm not a young pup anymore. smile My doctors are of course very unhappy that I ride, but the cardio and other benefits far outweigh the risks. Since I don't jump the huge jumps that supercross racers do I feel my risk is "low" at least as far as mx racing is concerned. My main concern now is I need to hit the gym and get into better shape so I can handle the bike better. smile I am also investing in a proper neck brace before I resume my racing. (Google "Leatt Brace" for more info.)

For many years I had a street bike, an '86 FZ750, and honestly I was more scared on it that I ever was on my mx bikes...the freeway drivers out here in So Cali are nuts!!

Shortcircuit:

I wish you and you son all the best!! I hope you make it to Loreta Lynn's (for those who don't know, it is like the superbowl of outdoor motocross), it was one of my goals when I was racing in the 90's. Depending on how things turn out when I start racing again, I may yet get to go and race in the Vet class...:)

Would love to see that '82 Maico..

Yeah, motocross has always been good to me, and as you said the people are the greatest...they still are..I have met a few new friends so far and re-connected with some of the folks I used to go to the races with.

And my years spent working at the tracks..the riders were for the most part awesome..and I really love the kids, they have so much fun at the track both racing and socializing.

One sad note, KTM discontinued their "Junior Supercross Challenge" this year, after a good 10 year run. It was a great thing, kids who did well in school got to get the "Factory Supercross" treatment and got to race the same supercross track as the pros.
© ECN Electrical Forums