ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy OT: How many Radio Hams do we have here? - 07/06/07 10:03 AM
Yeah, it's another OT thread.
Les (LK) and Marc (frenchelectrician) and myself are all radio hams, we were talking about this the other night in the ECN Chatrooms.
How many of you guys have a Amateur Operators licence, no matter what country you come from?
A lot of Electricians seem to be drawn towards radio, not sure why that is, but I got my start in electricity from a crystal set and a huge long-wire antenna.
To start the ball rolling, Mike ZL3TPQ.
What's your call?
Posted By: wa2ise Re: OT: How many Radio Hams do we have here? - 07/06/07 04:02 PM
I'm a ham
73 de WA2ISE
Posted By: LK Re: OT: How many Radio Hams do we have here? - 07/06/07 05:15 PM
WB20MS Les, Central New Jersey

Yes, indeed Mike, many electricians seem to be drawn towards radio, I am also not sure why that is. I got my start in amature radio, early on, built most of my rigs, I still operate CW on 40 and every once in a while 17 and 20.
Bob, N2IXK, Northern NJ (FN31)
Posted By: JCooper Re: OT: How many Radio Hams do we have here? - 07/06/07 05:54 PM
KC2IGP, Jim, Central Jersey

I haven't been on in a while but I still have the mobile installed in my truck.
I don't suppose a Childrens Band license counts wink

You know I have to be old to even have one of those.
Posted By: gideonr Re: OT: How many Radio Hams do we have here? - 07/06/07 07:12 PM
GM7IKB, Gideon, Scotland.
KI4OXM, Brian , South FL
I dont have on yet but will be on very soon as i get renew my permits and get my ham radio going again and will post my call sign here

Merci , Marc
KD5YVQ Robert Houston Tx IRLP node 9455
Might I also ask if anyone else was in radio or TV in a past or present life?
WVUR FM 10 W stereo omni educational.
KDKA AM Pittsburgh 50 KW
WCLQ--> WQHS TV 61 Cleveland
WPTT TV 22 Pittsburgh

I don't think you folks want me as a Ham. Any station I touch gets taken over by Home Shopping!
Joe
I have been in the commercial communications for 30 yrs. Any one (US) wanting to become a ham, go to QRZ.COM, on the left side of the web page there is a practice test. Robert
Posted By: Trumpy Re: OT: How many Radio Hams do we have here? - 07/07/07 05:53 AM
Where are you George Corron?
I'll let you post your call.
OK, and I will:

AF4JH

FYI: Tests in Alexandria, VA the 2nd Saturday of the month for any wanting to become Hams that can make the test session.
Posted By: Grover Re: OT: How many Radio Hams do we have here? - 07/07/07 01:34 PM
N6QWI, back home in 1 Land. 1st License in about 1956
Posted By: pauluk Re: OT: How many Radio Hams do we have here? - 07/07/07 01:39 PM
I was interested in radio and all things electronic from a very early age. I used to listen to the local top band net most Saturday mornings when I was a kid, and intended to get the ham license one day. For some reason I never did get around to it, although I was a member of the RSGB since I was about 11 (RS39369).

I think most of you reading this already know that I worked for BT at Goonhilly. That involved all sorts of radio/satellite/microwave work, including trips out to the nearby ship-to-shore stations for maintenance sometimes.

I did take on two-way radio repair at one point as well, mostly marine VHF and CB (dropped out of the latter because although I had some good customers I just about got fed up with the not-so-good ones). I did maintain the license for that until a few years ago: 2F3LY.

Right out of school, I worked a couple years for a company that did repairs/maintenance for radio/TV stations too small or cheap to have their own engineering dept. smile

Mostly bench work on tape decks, CD players, and VTRs, but we also got the occasional call to get a failed transmitter back on-air. Usually an ancient vacuum-tube rig, filled with dust and dead mice. smile
Posted By: wa2ise Re: OT: How many Radio Hams do we have here? - 07/07/07 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by WESTUPLACE
Any one (US) wanting to become a ham, go to QRZ.COM, on the left side of the web page there is a practice test. Robert

You no longer need to pass a Morse Code test for any and all classes of ham license (tech, general and extra class). Just the written multiple choice tests.

I don't think you folks want me as a Ham. Any station I touch gets taken over by Home Shopping!

Not to worry, that can't happen with ham radio! FCC forbids it... :-)
I am a licensed amateur operator, but have not been active for a few years.

I have never been directly involved in broadcast, but do know , more than the average person, how it works. And I was an avid FM and TV DXer back in the day.
Posted By: techie Re: OT: How many Radio Hams do we have here? - 07/08/07 05:44 AM
KC6SXC licensed since 1991.
active on VHF/UHF
Posted By: n1ist Re: OT: How many Radio Hams do we have here? - 07/08/07 11:16 PM
Mike, N1IST, in Malden MA. Haven't been too active on the air lately, but still keep busy with the Boston ARC (www.barc.org).
Posted By: u2slow Re: OT: How many Radio Hams do we have here? - 07/09/07 04:46 AM
I got licensed, but haven't bought into the gear (yet). VE7KSS is my callsign.
Posted By: IanR Re: OT: How many Radio Hams do we have here? - 07/09/07 01:44 PM
KD4KFD, Ian, in Central Florida
I havent been active for a few years now, but I still keep my license current.
Posted By: jmt Re: OT: How many Radio Hams do we have here? - 07/10/07 05:00 PM
im not a ham but a lunch time dave the wave and i would go to the radio club on the ucla campus. he is involved with emergentcy compititions, envolved in most anything ham, im shure he would love to hear from any ham out there. he loves morse code (UCLA- w6yra) 12:00- 1:30. if you get a hold of him tell him j.t. says hello.
Posted By: Gloria Re: OT: How many Radio Hams do we have here? - 07/11/07 12:48 PM
I'm not, but one of the wishes of my heart is to be part of it. Actually I don't even know what it takes, and costs to join the community.. But I'll find out. smile
Posted By: n1ist Re: OT: How many Radio Hams do we have here? - 07/11/07 01:24 PM
Gloria-
Look at http://www.mrasz.hu/
/mike
KN5AER Birmingham AL But have not been on LF for over 10 years.
© ECN Electrical Forums