ECN Forum
Posted By: SJT Silicone on cables - 10/25/02 03:23 PM
As a precaution I've used silicone on the bottom of a meter, where the bottom drop enters. This build up of silicone would prevent water from travelling down the conductors like a waterfall into a panel. Does silicone have any long term effects on the conductors, or SEU. I hope it's not bad for the insulation.
Thanks
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Silicone on cables - 10/25/02 03:29 PM
SJT:
Can't help with the silicone deterioration question, but I have a comment.
How is the water getting into the meter pan?
The pane should be relatively water tight; the conduit or cable entering the top should have a "WP" connector, and/or a hub. The head should prevent any rain from entering the conduit/cable. The "drop" drip loop should prevent water from "crawling" into the cable/conduit, or conductors.
As to the water flowing like a waterfall into the panel, I think you should seek the source.

The above is MHO, and please don't take it as sarcasim.
John
Posted By: Redsy Re: Silicone on cables - 10/25/02 03:33 PM
I've wondered myself about the effects of silicone on electrical conductors with regard to 110.11, or 110.12(C).
If you want to be certain, GE makes an electrical grade silicone sealant (RTV 162).McMasterCarr.com will help you find it.

Most WP SE Cable connectors are not all that WP after all. It is common to see an application of DuxSeal around the cable entry to help effect a good seal.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 10-25-2002).]
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Silicone on cables - 10/25/02 04:23 PM
The electrical grade silicone is because standard silicone gives of vapors that are corrosive to copper and other electrical components while it is curing. I don't think it has anything to do with damage to the wire insulation.
Don

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 10-25-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums