ECN Forum
Posted By: derater service upgrade / splices - 06/26/07 02:00 AM
Is there a product made for terminating a number of circuit extentions that's neater than nutting them in a 4x4 ? Something w/ screw terminals and a neutral bar perhaps.
Posted By: LoneGunman Re: service upgrade / splices - 06/26/07 02:36 AM
Not sure what you are loking for, neutral bus threw me. Polaris taps are neat way to get rid of nuts, expensive though.
Posted By: e57 Re: service upgrade / splices - 06/26/07 06:56 AM
I too am not quite sure what you're looking for. But I assume that you're looking for a way to neatly take all of those conductors from a panel change that are too short to make it into a new panel - but dont want to have 4-5 4Sq's as a junction from old to new?

Well.... How much money you got? And how neat would you like it to be?

Super cheap:
Use existing as a J-bx, and nipple to new.

Cheap:
4Sq's and remove and replace in same location with new.

Still cheap, but expediant:
14X14 NEMA 1 or 3 j-box at existing location - nipple to new.

No longer cheap - but neat:
Same as above, but with terminal blocks.

Not cheap at all - but really neat:
Same as above but with DIN rail terminal blocks.

The word "Cheap" can not be used:
Extend/repull all wiring to new panel...
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: service upgrade / splices - 06/26/07 11:56 AM
Way to go Mark...a 'laundry list' of choices and price ranges. All bases covered.
John
Posted By: gfretwell Re: service upgrade / splices - 06/26/07 05:25 PM
You can group all the grounds on a busbar and bring them in on a single conductor (I would use a 250-66 size but that is probably overkill). I also remember a question about whether it was OK to group the neutrals but I don't remember the answer.
Posted By: JJM Re: service upgrade / splices - 06/26/07 06:44 PM
What about a 9 gang box with a cover?

[Linked Image from hubbellcatalog.com]

Depending on the size and number of conductors you need to join, you might only need one of these. It'll certainly be nicer than a bunch of 4x4's.

Joe

The neutral thing threw me too.
Posted By: Zapped Re: service upgrade / splices - 06/27/07 04:48 PM
Is that a $200 box Joe? You ever actually find one at your supply house? Sounds handy, especially considering I have a hard time getting my supply house to even carry 6-gang boxes and p-rings.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: service upgrade / splices - 06/27/07 05:50 PM
If you are extending NM wiring, those big Carlon J boxes do a pretty good job and you don't need a set of punches on the truck to make the holes. I know that may be a foreign concept to commercial electricians but a guy who only does 1&2 family doesn't really punch metal that often. You can drill the Carlon box with a $2 holesaw.
© ECN Electrical Forums