ECN Forum
Posted By: kyelectric Copy of NEC online? - 06/07/07 03:11 PM
Is there a copy of the NEC online?
Thanks!
Posted By: Jim M Re: Copy of NEC online? - 06/07/07 05:25 PM
Try this link.

http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_agreement.asp?id=7005SB&cookie%5Ftest=1
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Copy of NEC online? - 06/07/07 07:14 PM
I can't get past the "I AGREE" page. Is there some trick to it?
Posted By: IanR Re: Copy of NEC online? - 06/07/07 07:30 PM
It seems to work know. I was going to post the URL earlier but I was having the same problem and did not want to give you a dead lead. Like I said I just got it to work. It may have just been a site problem.
Ian
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Copy of NEC online? - 06/08/07 12:44 AM
Nope still won't work for me. I am in Canada. Is it restricted to USA IP addresses?
Posted By: trollog Re: Copy of NEC online? - 06/08/07 05:40 AM
Interesting.. cut, paste and search are disabled. Guess they want you to buy the book, although in a pinch, hitting the "print screen" button on your keyboard (one of those little used keys between the number pad and the letter keys on a PC) and then CTRL+V will paste a screenshot of the NEC 2005 Codebook window into MS Paint. smile Happy pasting. www.gimp.org has a freely downloadable image manipulation program that will let you acquire screenshots of individual windows on your desktop. A little off topic, I know, but in the interest of public safety, why don't they give the NEC away free online, or sell the bound books for a nominal fee rather than the outrageous price they charge? Especially in this digital age, why be so niggardly?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Copy of NEC online? - 06/08/07 04:10 PM
in the interest of public safety, why don't they give the NEC away free online, or sell the bound books for a nominal fee rather than the outrageous price they charge?

Because NFPA has become a book peddler, not a safety organization.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Copy of NEC online? - 06/08/07 07:02 PM
IMHO, once a document is adopted into PUBLIC law, it should be required to be released into the public domain.

Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Copy of NEC online? - 06/09/07 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by NJwirenut
IMHO, once a document is adopted into PUBLIC law, it should be required to be released into the public domain.

It seems to me that law is inherently public domain.
Posted By: Zapped Re: Copy of NEC online? - 06/11/07 07:04 PM
gfretwell hit it on the head. They sell books... at a huge profit, and that's basically their function.

It seems like passing traffic laws, not letting anybody know about them and making people pay to see them, and then issuing tickets against these hidden laws. I don't think that kind of practice would hold up in court.

HOWEVER, the NEC is NOT the law. It is a privately issued set of guidelines that municipalities decide to adopt or not. That, my friends, is how they can charge (jacked up rates) for their publications.

Surprisingly, however, you can sometimes find local codes on line, which are even more helpful at times than the NEC. Check out your AHJs website sometime, and you may get lucky and find their building/electrical codes available.

Good luck!
Posted By: Zapped Re: Copy of NEC online? - 06/11/07 07:06 PM
BTW, that site didn't get past the "I Agree" click for me either. I don't really think the NFPA would allow a site with their code-for-free to stay on line for very long.
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: Copy of NEC online? - 06/11/07 11:54 PM
I was just at that site and it worked just fine. No Problems
Posted By: yaktx Re: Copy of NEC online? - 06/12/07 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
in the interest of public safety, why don't they give the NEC away free online, or sell the bound books for a nominal fee rather than the outrageous price they charge?

Because NFPA has become a book peddler, not a safety organization.

Ain't that the truth! Cover price of 1965 NEC, $1.00. Check here what that would be in 2006 dollars!
© ECN Electrical Forums