ECN Forum
Posted By: trekkie76 do breakers count electrons? - 05/08/07 11:32 PM
I am not sure if this a silly question, but I read a grounding book today that was talking about breakers. The book stated that the breaker remembers what amp rating it has, and that it counts the electrons, and if more pass the breaker then is supposed to, it trips.
I was under the impression that a breaker worked on ambient temperature componsated bi-metal strip, and it was the heat generated by the amps flowing beyond the rating that cuased it to trip. I would dismiss it as ludicrous, but it was in a well respected electrical series. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks, Gary
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: do breakers count electrons? - 05/09/07 12:40 AM
Gary:
A silly question...no.
I heard of thermal magnetic CB's, and I know there are some 'smart' cb's (SQ-D for one), but I know of none that have electron counting capability.

Perhaps...this thread will evolve.
John
Posted By: RobbieD Re: do breakers count electrons? - 05/09/07 12:49 AM
I installed a breaker today that is good for 9.363e19 electrons but the code only allows me to load that breaker to 7.4904e19 electrons.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: do breakers count electrons? - 05/09/07 01:14 AM
As of this point today, May 8th 2007, it is still electron theory. Most scientists are fairly certain of the structure of atoms, and of course the theory holds up quite well for us electricians, and electricity seems to work within the bounds of the theory, but it is still theory, until we can slow one down to have a good look at it, if we could see stuff that small.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: do breakers count electrons? - 05/09/07 01:31 AM
Robbie:

I hope those figures are electrons PER SECOND?

smile
Posted By: RobbieD Re: do breakers count electrons? - 05/09/07 02:23 AM
Yeah, lol. Per second sorry I forgot to put that, lol.

Now about that book, is it a green one that has IEEE on it? I remember looking at that book once and it was all formulas, electrons, etc. Very confusing.

Breakers are rated in amps, which are a certain number of electrons per second. Breakers don't count the amps (or electrons that make the amps) like 1 - 2 - 3 - 4...etc. They count them in the manner of a reaction. They react to them, either by effecting the bi-metalic strip or by electro magnets, which trip the breaker at the desired setting, just like you said.

So just think of it as a reaction, not counting.

I'm not a scientist or anything but thats how I look at it. Hope it helps!

Try asking Scott to explain it down in the electrical theory section. He knows his stuff and he would give you the best desciption for sure.
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: do breakers count electrons? - 05/09/07 02:52 AM
Since the heating effect can cause a trip, the breakers are really counting calories. This is especially true for the slim breakers.
Joe
Posted By: mxslick Re: do breakers count electrons? - 05/09/07 05:49 AM
Originally Posted by JoeTestingEngr
Since the heating effect can cause a trip, the breakers are really counting calories. This is especially true for the slim breakers.
Joe

ROFL!!!
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: do breakers count electrons? - 05/09/07 06:18 AM
Now about that book, is it a green one that has IEEE on it? I remember looking at that book once and it was all formulas...

LOL!

Posted By: mikesh Re: do breakers count electrons? - 05/09/07 04:33 PM
Boy this is rich. In 28 years i have never considered this but Yes breakers do react to electron flow at a specific rate and react to the calories produced by the friction of the electrons through the bi metal strip. This is why my eyes glazed over in physics class. I got A+ avg in Electrical theory in High school but passed physics at the gift of the teacher. I almost failed physics electrical theory. Good question for a physicist.
Posted By: ghost307 Re: do breakers count electrons? - 05/09/07 08:42 PM
Eek!
9.363e19 electrons per second?
I'm sure glad that I'm not a circuit breaker...I can just hear myself hard at work now.

1..2..3..4..another..another..another..another..another..another..another
Posted By: Elviscat Re: do breakers count electrons? - 05/09/07 10:58 PM
well a CB measures two things, heat, and magnetic field (for newer mag-trip breakers) since heat is a product of the number of electrons, as is magnetic field, you COULD say that a CB "counts" electrons, if you were to answer so on a physics test you would get partial credit, as the heat of the bi-metal strip is affected by other factors, such as ambient temperature and heat dissipation, even materials surrounding the CB, or type of metal can have an effect. But of course in chemistry and physics tings on the atomic scale are not observed directly, instead, their effect on other things provides data...

Then of course there's the fact that a circuit breaker has neither the ability to measure, nor record the actual number of electrons.

-Will
© ECN Electrical Forums