ECN Forum
Posted By: DDROWE Question about OSHA - 05/08/07 07:08 PM
Does anyone know if there is a requirement to have a "written permit" to perform work on energized equipment in the industrial setting? Our EHS is trying to force this and it is sooooooo time consuming. The only ones that do this work are trained and have all (if not more) of the required PPE.

Thanks
Posted By: Luketrician Re: Question about OSHA - 05/08/07 07:50 PM
Industrial settings? All of the plants and mills I have worked in have had their own saftey guidelines. I don't think you have much choice but to abide by them.

Welcome to ECN also. smile
Posted By: Tom Re: Question about OSHA - 05/08/07 11:07 PM
Your employer is legally required to provide a workplace that is safe and implementing an electrical safety plan is the way to go. The written plan would include procedures for hot work. It is not supposed to be easy to get the hot work permit. The permit is only supposed to be issued under certain conditions such as turning off the power would introduce additional hazards or interrupt a continuous process. The permit is actually required (I believe) by NFPA 70E, which is the usual basis for an electrical safety program.

Your EHS is not forcing anything IMO, only trying to comply with the minimum requirements of the law.

I also welcome you to ECN.

Tom
© ECN Electrical Forums