ECN Forum
Posted By: Romex Racer Run For Your Lives! It's FlatWire! - 04/27/07 11:39 PM

http://tinyurl.com/346qmf

[Linked Image from gogomagazine.com]

This is a new product, #14 conductors so thin you just roll them onto the surface of a wall like a 4" wide ribbon and paint over them.

[Linked Image from flatwiretv.com]

http://www.flatwiretv.com/installation_light.html

[Linked Image from hometoys.com]

[Linked Image from flatwiretv.com]

The DIYs are gonna love this!
Posted By: e57 Re: Run For Your Lives! It's FlatWire! - 04/27/07 11:52 PM
Oh I've done this before, wired a whole house in it! A dollhouse...
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Run For Your Lives! It's FlatWire! - 04/28/07 12:07 AM
What code article applies?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Run For Your Lives! It's FlatWire! - 04/28/07 12:27 AM
Yup, that stuff is new .. as new as dinosaurs! maybe Southwire has just re-introduced it, but it's nothing really new.

There have been any number of "flat" wire methods / products introduced over the years. The closest current products are the "festoon" cable used with overhead cranes, and a flat cable that was designed to run under carpet.

This product would likely be expected to comply with Article 324 of the NEC.
Posted By: Romex Racer Re: Run For Your Lives! It's FlatWire! - 04/28/07 12:34 AM
If a wire burns up, at least it would be easy to find the fault. Things always seem to take a circular path, when electricity was first put into homes, the conductors were on the surface of the wall, then they were concealed within the walls, now they're back on the surface.
yeah that cool but i am not going to use that crap because if someone get a funny idea to get a nail or something and tack on the wall and they dont know where the {beep} flat wire is.

the other thing that i did see that it only have two conductors but where is the grounding wire is ?? Huhh crazy

let someone get a funnny idea and burnt it up and end up call the electrician to come and try to fix this mess and will we have to find a way to resplice that freaking " pancake " wire

IMO i just dont like it too easy to screw up and someone did make a flatwire before for a short while then somehow the NEC code kill it i dont rember where it did wroted it

Merci, Marc
Posted By: Romex Racer Re: Run For Your Lives! It's FlatWire! - 04/28/07 01:05 AM
It would be easy to wrap wires around thumbtacks and makes taps off the flat cable. You could mash tacks into the wall, wires leading from the tacks would terminate on nails, and you could cook a hot dog right on the wall!
Originally Posted by Romex Racer
It would be easy to wrap wires around thumbtacks and makes taps off the flat cable. You could mash tacks into the wall, wires leading from the tacks would terminate on nails, and you could cook a hot dog right on the wall!

grin yeah but i think i will pass the hotdog for now but crank up the amparage on the flat ribbon then you got nice heater in the wall shall we take our work boots off and put the feet up to feel the " warm " wall ??
but no sun of course.

anyway that the idea how it can be abused very easy

Merci , Marc
Posted By: LK Re: Run For Your Lives! It's FlatWire! - 04/28/07 02:06 AM
"Proceed to remove the FlatWire Ready® Transformer,"

Sounds like low voltage to me.

The old under carpet ribbon system required glass insulator material around the ribbon then tin shield over that, to avoid damage to ribbon, this stuff looks like it was made for LV.
Yes - Low voltage right now, but look at thier facts page:
Product FAQ's
What are FlatWire products?
FlatWire Technologies, a division of Southwire, has created a new shift in wiring and interconnect devices for low voltage lighting, audio/loudspeakers, voice/data lines, high performance video, Cat 5, 5e, and 6 data cables, and other low voltage applications. Future products include 120 AC electrical and fiber optics. For specific product specifications, see the individual product group information offered on the website.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Run For Your Lives! It's FlatWire! - 04/28/07 02:25 AM
It's the end of the world as we know it...

Ian (And I Feel Fine) A.
Posted By: ITO Re: Run For Your Lives! It's FlatWire! - 04/28/07 04:54 AM
This is how Radio Shack does their finish outs. (not kidding) They furnish the wire, boxes, outlets and glue and you install it for all of the floor and display cases. I figure about 16 hours a store for the flatwire alone.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Run For Your Lives! It's FlatWire! - 04/28/07 06:13 AM
Should be absolutely 100% safe and reliable if it was protected by one of those new 100 % safe and reliable ark fault breakers that I have to buy for housewiring jobs.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Run For Your Lives! It's FlatWire! - 04/28/07 10:09 PM
I just saw a Southwire ad for this product. It is intended for low voltage, and has a metal plate that covers it.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Run For Your Lives! It's FlatWire! - 04/29/07 01:06 AM
I still don't see any way to use this without major changes to Article 324 or a new article. The rules in 324 only permit it to be installed under carpet squares and do not permit it to be used in residential applications.
Don
Posted By: LK Re: Run For Your Lives! It's FlatWire! - 04/29/07 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by resqcapt19
I still don't see any way to use this without major changes to Article 324 or a new article. The rules in 324 only permit it to be installed under carpet squares and do not permit it to be used in residential applications.
Don

Yup, under carpet squares, we did a number of floors in some of the high rise buildings using flat ribbon cable with metal cover, that was the only approved application to date, have no fear, they tried to market this since the early 70's with little intrest.
Posted By: classicsat Re: Run For Your Lives! It's FlatWire! - 04/29/07 02:29 AM
I've seen this years ago in an electronics gadget magazine.
Did a big commercial job with under the carpet wiring for power and phone in 1985. We ran miles of the stuff, and all in all, I wasn't impressed with the stuff. I guess I wasn't the only one, cause 20 years later folks think this is something new. This too shall pass.
Posted By: Zapped Re: Run For Your Lives! It's FlatWire! - 04/30/07 01:39 AM
You sure these are new? I could swear that they were floating around a few years ago, but I've never seen anything like that installed.

I don't foresee a UL listing anytime soon...
Posted By: FlatWireTV Re: Run For Your Lives! It's FlatWire! - 05/03/07 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by resqcapt19
Don

Don, you are correct in the sense that it won't be Article 324.

Here provided is a link to an Analysis of Changes, NEC-2008. Scroll down and read Article 382, which I will quote below the link for convenience. Note the figure 7 image is 120v FlatWire.

http://www.iaei.org/subscriber/magazine/06_e/johnston.html

"... New technologies, consumer electronics devices such as flat panel televisions and custom audio systems, along with ever-changing lifestyles have increased the need for additional power outlets and the desire to place power or lighting outlets where needed to obtain functionality as well as an aesthetically pleasing environment. Often these changes are poorly accommodated through the use of extension cords that are easily damaged, misused and can lead to electrical hazards. This new type of concealable flat nonmetallic extension incorporated into Article 382 provides a safe and reliable alternative for existing occupancies that can reduce the misuse of extension cords, overload power taps, and so forth (see figure 7)."

"Article 382 has been revised to incorporate provisions for concealed flat nonmetallic extensions. A new definition of this type of concealable flat nonmetallic extension has been added in 382.2. The article has been expanded to include specific product listing requirements in 382.6. Sections 382.10 and 382.12, covering Uses Permitted and Uses Not Permitted, have been revised and expanded to incorporate requirements and restrictions for concealable flat nonmetallic extensions. A new Part III has been added to Article 382 and provides specific construction specifications for concealable flat nonmetallic extensions."
© ECN Electrical Forums