ECN Forum
Posted By: Kenbo Ride of the future - 04/09/07 07:41 PM
Anyone seen one of these yet. Notice the CA address on the Brochure
Electric lotus

Not realy new technology. Just brought upto date. When I worked for "Scottish Power" In the early 80s I was given one of 4 "Bedford CF" vans (Brittish equivalent of Ford Transit) which was electric. It had a range of 50 miles which was fine for city center work (Glasgow) It had a top speed of 50mph, and best of all in the UK it is exempt from road tax. Here only vehicals with internal combustion engines pay yearly road tax.
Posted By: ITO Re: Ride of the future - 04/09/07 09:34 PM
It sounds to good to be true:

Speed
0 to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds with top speed of 155 mph

Mileage & Range
350 miles per charge; about 1 cent per mile; rapid 10 minute re-charge; 9,000 life cycles

If it does turn out to be correct then....DAMN that would make an awesome car.
Posted By: e57 Re: Ride of the future - 04/10/07 06:37 AM
Not sure if I can drive a Lotus to work... $$$$

But I have driven this golf cart type of truck body before in Japan - great for parking. http://www.zapworld.com/ZAPWorld.aspx?id=3872
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Ride of the future - 04/10/07 11:17 AM
OK, .01 a mile!! Now, when and how much$$$

Pushing $3 gal for gas, at 25MPG thats .12/mile. Cut my commute costs by 80+%

John
Posted By: electure Re: Ride of the future - 04/10/07 11:53 AM
From Mark's link:
Even after counting emissions from electric generating plants, ZAPTruck XL produce 98% fewer pollutants than gas trucks.

This is the first time I've seen one of these ads that was honest enough to admit that they weren't 100% pollution free
Posted By: Retired_Helper Re: Ride of the future - 04/11/07 01:24 PM
Check current issue of VANITY FAIR magazine for an article on electric cars, including Tesla Motors roadsters, which Lotus is involved in building. Things are moving faster than some of us realized. shocked
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Ride of the future - 04/11/07 05:04 PM
I am still not sure we are assessing the pollution from electric plants correctly.
It is certainly not something you can quantify in a "xx% of a gas truck way".
A doubt a "california compliant" truck will put out as much pollution as an old coal fired or bunker oil electric plant, by any way of measuring it.
I am still looking at an electric car but I can't get the money to work out. I do use my glf cart for anything I can. That is virtually free to me. If they had cart paths up to the shopping centers nearby my car use would really drop off.
© ECN Electrical Forums